• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Another scammer - SmartOne

mrhavana

This scammer contacted me after I posted in the wanted section. Seems to be the same scammer doing the rounds. Below are the pm's we exchanged. This seems to be the prevalent scam of the moment so I hope this might help someone recognise if they are being scammed.

If someone insists on sending a paypal invoice instead of giving you their paypal address DO NOT PROCEED. They only do this so that you don't send payment as goods. They will send a payment request for services instead of goods and you will have no protection.

Even if you take the email address used to send the payment request and pay using paypal goods;

1. You still won't get the goods

2. The scammer will still get his money and move it out of that account or buy something with the funds.

3. Paypal will (probably) reimburse you, but will pass the cost on to all of us with another fee increase or by lowering the scope of buyer protection in the future.

MSUK username: SmartOne

Paypal name/email: Tim Roberts([email protected])

Address: 104 city road, stoke on trent, ST4 2PH This isn't even a residential address, it's a big store called The Range.

sc8 esc

Participants: mrhavana, SmartOne

SmartOne

Sent 09 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

i have a near new sc8 esc buddy, its only been tested on my bench for 10 minutes max

how does

none too bright are they.... same answers to questions posed as in other attempted scams, same payment methods etc... surely they must realise that they've been busted on forums they've used??

Funnily enough I had an almost identical conversation with him, he tried to reasure me that he was genuine but I smelt something fishy so decided against it. He wouldn't accept payment directly but wanted to invoice me to circumnavigate paypal restrictyions on his account.

i cant matey, apparently because i havent sold 25 things yet, paypal always hold my money for 21 days before realeasing it to me

however, i can get round this, because if i send you an invoice and you pay it that way, you are still fully covered and i get the money instantly and dont have to wait

so if you can give me your paypal email i can email you the invoice through paypal and itll show on your paypal account, you just login and pay it then as normal

thanks

Tim

do totally understand buddy, but with paypal, it doesnt matter as you are fully covered incase of anything happening at all!

if you just give me your paypal email, i will send you across the invoice for it, then you just login and pay it as normal

then if you pay tonight, i can get it sent out to you in the morning before work

thanks

Tim