• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

(Nitro Truggy) HPI Trophy Truggy 4.6

henzy190

Introduction

My friend had got a Nitro car 7 months earlier, a HPI Savage 25. It performed well, yet was always very problematic as it was 2nd hand, and the previous owner could not be described in any way as "caring."

When it was started back up in the summer again going round the field, it was high tide for me to get my own. Yet, unlike him, I wanted to get a new car, to avoid all the problems and truly make it my own.

I was impressed by HPI, particularily the in-depth manuals and their 2-year warranty. So I made a shortlist, headed by the HPI Trophy Truggy 4.6. My friend was in complete disagreement, thinking it was too small and would not handle his field or the track he had just joined. I totally proved him wrong.

First Impressions

The car came in good packaging and in due course from Modelsport UK, the cheapest suppliers of this model. It had good shocks, a large engine, a good sized fuel tank and was very well built and sturdy. One of the most striking things was the low CG, although the body was high, internally it was very low down. And there is a metal spur gear as standard. Setup was easy and all the controller needed was batteries.

The price at MSUK is £60 cheaper than a Savage (although Modelsport's price at time of writing is reduced to £75 cheaper) and the value for money is great. The Savage is almost a bit unfinished in some ways, the Trophy isn't apart from the radio gear not being 2.4ghz, although I don't think this is a problem.

The Break In

Sadly there are no good open flat areas where I live apart from our back garden. It took quite a few pulls to start but once going it was fine. After a tank idling over I got through two tanks round the back garden. It was soon apparent that we needed a larger area to play in and so joined the CMCC. There we did a couple more tanks up and down the main straight on a quiet day and then got down to the proper stuff round the track, in company of my friend and his Savage.

Round the Track

After getting used to jumps and the track layout, I opened her up and leaned her out. The power was amazing and plentiful, it has a very good low-end when tuned right. The best bit is the corners. Apart from a bit of oversteer that you soon get used too, there is no body roll and it doesn't flip, unlike my friend's Savage, to his distaste.

On the subject of power, there is a lot of acceleration, and the high end speed to my surprise is also quite high, though they aren't geared for it.

Also a very good are the dual disk brakes. There is a lot of braking power, whereas a Savage does not come with dual disks as standard. The only problem with them is that they are controlled independantly, so if one is slightly out of sync with the other, then your braking is hugely reduced. This is fixable, threadlockable, but a bit frustrating when you don't know what the problem is.

Overall

The car is a very nice piece of kit, it comes without any major flaws that you need to upgrade from ground zero, (i.e. the dual disks in a Savage), and is a great bit of fun. Dare I say it from my perspective it is better than a Savage, as the only real spot I have to drive it is a track, but although it is tough, it would still be out trumped by a Savage on the bashing front.

It also has very good handling compared to my latest aquisition, the Pirate 10 two buggy. Buggies are always going to be better handlers, but a Truggy can still handle well and perform like an MT.

I also have a Savage 25 as well as my friend now, shared with my dad whom (quote) said: "If I am taking you up the track all the time I need to have my own one to play with."

Pro's

• Low CG so no body roll.
  • A lot of power.
  • Well built.
  • Good braking power.
  • Plenty of shock travel when jumping.
  • A good sized fuel tank.
  • Plenty of readily available spares.

Con's

• The brakes can go out of sync.
  • Although I haven't had this problem, the wheel hubs are reported to break easily in a bad crash or cartwheel. Toughened replacements available.

Handling: 8.5/10

Jumping: 9/10

Acceleration: 10/10

Top Speed: 9/10

Ovearall: 9.1/10

I would add pictures but sadly never got a chance to take any. Tip#1: DO NOT let seven year olds have a "quick go" with your car. Unless you control the throttle and them the steering. I learnt the hard way just for you guys.

There are some good Youtube vids of these though anyhow, maybe some of my own soon as well. I hope to get an on-board camera for my b-day.

Edited by henzy190

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

i can think of much worse things than the brakes becoming un sinked. my friend tried to lock his front diff and when he put it all back together agian he forgot to put the disk back on. that reduced braking

i can think of much worse things than the brakes becoming un sinked. my friend tried to lock his front diff and when he put it all back together agian he forgot to put the disk back on. that reduced braking

the solution is to use stronger clamp things on the braking shaft. I got some off of a hyper 7 and they stop it going unsynced completely :D

but yeah, forgetting to put it back together right is a common problem :lol: