• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What to buy for 5yr old

I.Williams

Looking to get my boy an electric buggy to play over the park with but there are so many, whats good and whats crap,He has had the tesco specials that go out of range at 20ft with poor steering etc.So after a second hand not too quick and able to take a bash what can you tell me.

Thanks.

How much u wanna spend chap? You see quite a few traxxas slash and stampedes going reasonably and the relatively tough and quick when running 7.4v 2 cell lipos but they can take 11.1v 3s and then go about 60mph for fun for dad.. Parts are cheap and very simple to work on

Are you planning on using in on long grass? As asked before what's your budget? If mainly using it on short grass and tarmac how about something like this:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/carisma-m40s-volkswagen-race-touareg-3-1-10th-rtr/rc-car-products/378614

If you want to use it on long grass this sort of thing would be better due to the ground clearance:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/maverick-strada-mt-evo-rtr-monster-truck/rc-car-products/38122

I've heard good things about both cars but I can't say as I haven't had experience with either one of them

I shall give the same answer as I usually do when this topic comes up. Get a Tamiya Mad Bull!

Most of the chassis and suspension is made of a tough, rubbery plastic that springs back to shape after an impact, making the car virtually indestructable.

In the unlikely event of anything breaking, parts are cheap and plentiful, and the design is simple and easy to work on, so repairs are not a problem. Your kid could probably do most of them himself with a bit of guidance from Dad.

The combination of a low, wide stance and big tyres with good ground clearance make for a very stable car with good offroad ability, meaning you can use it on a wide variety of terrain (including grass, sand, mud, snow, gravel, etc.) without it getting stuck or rolling over too often.

The "Monster Buggy" styling appeals to kids, and if he decides that he wants a more conventional-looking buggy further down the line, it also looks great with standard-size buggy wheels.

The gearbox is very robust, so if you want to go crazy with power upgrades, you can do so without shredding your gears.

The white ABS(?) bodyshell is easy to paint, with no cutting out required. You could even let your kid do it with acrylic brush paint if you liked.

They come up on Ebay quite regularly, and seldom cost a lot. Even a brand new one is quite affordable.

Edited by XV Pilot

Looking to get my boy an electric buggy to play over the park with but there are so many, whats good and whats crap,He has had the tesco specials that go out of range at 20ft with poor steering etc.So after a second hand not too quick and able to take a bash what can you tell me.

Thanks.

I mite have a hpi wheelie king for sell....perfect for young uns....not too fast and plenty strong to take a curb at full speed and jus roll over......no damage...small enuff for the garden to........

I mite have a hpi wheelie king for sell....perfect for young uns....not too fast and plenty strong to take a curb at full speed and jus roll over......no damage...small enuff for the garden to........

Could be interested if the price is right  :yes: