• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Electrified My Trophy Truggy

Deafty

Hi all. This is my 1st conversion so take it easy on me lol.

The Build:

• Xerun 150a 2200kv combo. (Quality shipping and no custom charges :))
  • Chassis used is the 7075 Nitro LS2 Pro (Ebay)
  • Lipo's are Turnigy NanoTech 5S 5000mah (Hobby King + stung for customs :( )
  • Alloy Diff cases allround with HPI hardend gears
  • 17mm hex Conversion (currently with 1/2 inch offset)
  • Edit mid diff bracket (ordered the buggy mounts and received Truggy ones which are too high but for now have the top shimmed to fit nicely
  • Motor Mount is stock Flux (note 5mm shaft on the HW motor requires a shorter grub screw or it catches on the mount!)
  • Battery tray is stock from the Flux

So some Pics:

Before.

DSC01312.jpg

7075 Chassis. with basic mounts

30122012306.jpg

Decided to wrap the underside of the chassis with some Carbon Fiber Vinyl (Thanks TrickTris)

09012013306.jpg

Then marked and filled all unnecessary holes with High temp Silicon (Pic makes it look ~rough)

09012013307.jpg

Cleaned up all those nasty pen marks (needed to make sure I didn't fill up "needed" holes lol)

15012013314.jpg

15012013313.jpg

15012013315.jpg

This proved somewhat difficult in drilling and mounting as the chassis has a number of "fillets" to reduce weight but I got there in end.Servo tray; decide to cut down the nitro one as I prefer a lay down servo setup rather than the stock flux upright. I may change this as I have the full flux tray and receiver box in my parts drawer.

• Receiver is currently mounted/taped to top of servo tray; will do for now but I really need a receiver box of somesort.
  • Ariel location will do for now, but I am considering locating a receiver box behind the motor but don't know if this will cause interference,.?
  • Need a wee tidy up of receiver cables near batt tray.
  • Waiting on new front CVD shafts,.should be hear tommorow :) But have been for a gentle cruise on 2WD without cooking my mid diff.

So what do you think or have I botched something up lol?

Edited by Deafty

Looks very nice mate! :thumbsup:

What pinion did you decide to use? Would be interested to hear your thoughts on it! Speed, motor temp etc..

Would definitely look into a servo/receiver box, just for peace of mind on those wet or dusty days! :)

Cant believe you beat me to the first run! Haha

• Like 1

Now that looks much better than that dirty nitro lump in it don't you think.. I knew i'd bring you over to the light :tease: I'd keep the laydown servo i'm thinking about changing mine but you do scarafice the rx box .. might try see if i can work it to have both .. hate the upright stock servo setup

• Like 1

Cheers fellas,.

Looks very nice mate! :thumbsup:

What pinion did you decide to use? Would be interested to hear your thoughts on it! Speed, motor temp etc..

Would definitely look into a servo/receiver box, just for peace of mind on those wet or dusty days! :)

Cant believe you beat me to the first run! Haha

At least u got your wheels on lol!

Running a 17T, or should I say installed a 17t,. Allready to rumble and ,.yeah it's snowing :(

Edited by Deafty

Now that looks much better than that dirty nitro lump in it don't you think.. I knew i'd bring you over to the light :tease: I'd keep the laydown servo i'm thinking about changing mine but you do scarafice the rx box .. might try see if i can work it to have both .. hate the upright stock servo setup

What do people think about locating a receiver box behind the motor? I am concerned about interference,.as such I need to drill some hole so don't really want to experiment lol.

I do have the Stock flux Chassis and a complete front end arriving tomorrow so I can still opt to use the Flux servosaver braces (which aren't as wide). I have the stock receiver box/servo tray which if cut allows the receiver box portion to fit nicely behind the motor or install complete in stock location,.hmm decisions decisions...but really enjoy the lay down servo,...agh what to do,.lol

Edited by Deafty

If you already have the stock rx box just mod it to sit where the rx is now on top of the servo.. Should be dead easy might look funny but it will to the job and might give the servo a little protection That's what i was gonna do. Sometimes the best idea's are the simplest

Well I'm kinda hooked on the idea of sitting the rx at the back behind the motor. Think I'll take her for my Lipo "break in" runs as is and then ensure my chassis mods are up to standard. Then make the real decision. And perhaps by then I find my missing servo tape lol.

I agree with simple=best in this case but the stock rx box aint exactly flat underneath, and with my cheap A$%e dremel exploding I may find it harder than normal.

Either way I am pretty happy with how she turned out. Especially if you take into account the extra holes I drilled in a heavily filleted 7075 chassis to ensure everything was bolted down . I know I could have drilled less but it was important to me to allow for flux parts and have all parts removable instead of just glueing them in with silicon. I did however use silicon between my ESC and its mounting plate to provide a nice cushion; this ofcoarse then bolts independently to the chassis (from the underside).

PS:edit:-- what ratio u run MyDoddy? Me=17 on stock 50 spur (2200KV motor)

Edited by Deafty

At least u got your wheels on lol!

Running a 17T, or should I say installed a 17t,. Allready to rumble and ,.yeah it's snowing :(

Haha true! Finally ran mine for 5 minutes this morning, man these esc/motor combo's are the nuts! :D

I assume 17T is the standard for the Trophy spur? I'm running 13T at the moment, which came with my Hong Nor conversion. So I'm ever hopeful it will be the correct size to run! Will have to see after a proper full blast around this evening!

Think 15t was standard pinion but check see first i may be wrong.. on the 2000kv i run upto 16t any more and it runs way to hot .. on the 2200kv i run upto a 19t but could go a little more with a push .. But thats just where i generally bash .. other spots and i have to drop it down or i can go up .. so its only going to be a ball park figure ..

Get yourself a temp gun.. and if your like me keep a few different size pinions in the parts bag .. only takes a minute or 2 to change and can make a huge difference on your days fun

If i swap out to the lay down servo what parts am i gonna need , i can make me own top plate out of carbon fibre so just all the fixings really

Last thing on the rx box are you using the stock nitro one or flux one as the flux one is quite a bit smaller and flat on the bottom

Edit

almost forgot the 2200kv motor i run on 5s and the 2000kv is on 4s so these might be no good to you

Edited by mydoddy69

Thanks MyDoddy. :thumbsup:

• Yeah 15t is stock on pinion
  • I have been Planning on getting some other pinions and after your feedback I now have a clear idea of what would be suitable,. cheers :) (grub screw is a PITA with stock motor mount and 5mm motor shaft)
  • Already got a temp gun cos I'm a nitro fella :tease: lol.
  • And I'm on 5s with 2200kv so sounds all quite good really.
  • I was planning on using the Flux RX box cut down to fit either on top of servo or behind the motor. (It looks like a really good fit back there,..) Nitro Rx box is so big that unless u wanta transport a small lemming colony around it really is unneeded on a brushless setup.

If i swap out to the lay down servo what parts am i gonna need , i can make me own top plate out of carbon fibre so just all the fixings really

Right, I really want to help out here but I will need to check some measurements first. I was expecting delivery of a complete stock flux front end but delivered was the nitro one! No biggy for me but I was planning on using it to compare the setups which would have made life easier in detailing a parts list for u.

I will endeavour later on today to get some picks up with linky's etc.. But for now and if u read this before I get that done... You should actually have a little more room to play with up front than mine as your servosaver (and other) post are mounted closer together (akerman) and as such I/we need to work out if the nitro linkage to servo will end up being suitable. Also start thinking about drilling as this will need to be done to your chassis. I see this ending up with 2 possible solutions.

1. Replace the relevant flux front end parts with the nitro ones.

or

2. Mod your existing setup to work for you.

Perhaps we should cover both so the options become available for others. :tomato:

+++Edit+++

Having issues uploading pics,.will try and get this done asap.

Edited by Deafty

Ok, So after looking into this the 1st real issue is establishing the connection rod of servo to servosaver.

If u look at the 2 chassis plates..( left is the Flux right is Nitro) They are on the same "line" so all the rest of the front end lins up the same.

AckermanMounts.png

You'll clearly notice the narrower steering post mounting on your flux. This to me will cause an issue with aligning the servo rod to the servo saver. Look here on my nitro version...

Servoalignment.png

You'll notice the alignment with servo rod here. There isn't any "room" to angle that rod inwards to align with the flux servo saver.

So the only way i can see this working is to remount your "steering posts" as to pic 1 (as in nitro position). Then you'll need the following parts.

Parts List:

• 101754 (this wider at the front compared to the flux so it lines up with the steering posts

101754_01.jpg

• 101765 (and obviously the same with this)

101765.jpg

• Servo tray mounting posts + Servo Mounts # 101175 (needed) + optional Kingheadz posts. The post meaurements are 7mmx24mm but they are I beam shaped and the width of the post itself is 6mm. I presume 6 pieces are include from HPI as that is what is needed for the full nitro servo tray. Also included are the servo mounts :)101175_01.jpg

• Servo Tray Plate: I know u mentioned u'd make your own but heres a 7075 one from Kingheadz
  • "Servo connection rod" 101167
  • 101167_01.jpg

The only other part difference is/are the "Steering linkage Turnbuckles" On the Flux version they are obviously longer

But you may be able to screw the end pieces on the the flux ones in more thus removing the need to buy these. That would be my preference. From eyelet to eyelet is ~112mm on the nitro. (rods 4x83mm)

part # 101179.

• 101798_01.jpg

That should be all you need to do this LayDown Servo mod. Bare in mind the mounting holes/slit on servo nitro servo tray looks like this

ServoTray.png

OK,.. if you want to go ahead with this I do have some parts (in near new condition; not scratched either) that you could possibly have.

They are: 101754, 101765, 101167 ,101179 (rods only) just let me know if u r interested or not. :)

PS:// I was looking at the wrong part when I said the RX box aint exactly flat underneath :doh:

Edited by Deafty