• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Surround Sound Subwoofer

dazza7

Hi looking for someone with a bit of tech knowledge unlike me :P ,

I have This surround sound setup at the moment as it was cheap and needed it for my xbox, but im looking for something with abit more bass and noise.

Ive been told that i would be able to just take the subwoofer out now and put in another subwoofer, but i have no knowledge of subwoofer's so i dont know what im looking for.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a value for money subwoofer?

Cheers :good:

its alba so its probs not compatible with much and as the sub power is only 40watts no matter what you put in it wont have much more sound than what your gettin now

Nope, the sub has a built in supply rated at 40watts, not the whole system, so you can replace it with a higher rated sub no problem.

Is the subwoofer powered on it's own? and does it take a signal from the sound bar to drive it? And does the sound bar/centre have it's own power supply?

If all are yes then I see no reason why not. If they all have the same power supply then you're scuppered unless you fancy some diy.

You will need a powered subwoofer which has line in/out aswell as the speaker jacks as I'm guessing the sub is the amplifier going from the description on the Argos link.

You plug ya Xbox into the back of the Subwoofer, power on and you get sound???

If that's the case then you will need something like this...

http://www.limitedgoods.com/itemView.php?ProdID=670462&source=FroogleUK&medium=free&campaign=FroogleUK_InStock

Xbox goes into the Line IN then you wire your current speakers into that.

all i know is that the subwoofer is powered by the plug. And there is a Scart Adapter sort of thing which has a Red and White wire in the adapter and going into one of the sets of inputs on the Subwoofer which is for my tv channels.

Then the xbox is connected by going from the Xbox to the tv and being plugged into the Component In section with a Red, White in the Subwoofer, and a Green, Blue and Red into the Component In section on the tv.

Hope that makes sense :)

I'm guessing the centre, left and right speakers are connected directly to the sub woofer unit. If that is the case the sub box is providing power to the speakers and you're stuck with it unless you can do a spot of diy.

Can you do a pic of the back of the sub unit please, it will help no end or provide a instruction link

I'm guessing the centre, left and right speakers are connected directly to the sub woofer unit. If that is the case the sub box is providing power to the speakers and you're stuck with it unless you can do a spot of diy.

Can you do a pic of the back of the sub unit please, it will help no end or provide a instruction link

99% sure this is right.

The "sub" unit will contain the amplifiers that drive the other satellite speakers. The whole lot is designed to work together as a single system, you can't change the sub.

tbh... for

If I'm correct then the other option you have is to disconnect the sub driver itself. using the wires to the driver connect to a better driver in a separate box.

Or..... mount the whole lot in the 'better box' :)

Yeah, looking at that you wouldn't be able to run a different sub unit as the current sub contains the amplifier that runs the whole system. You could split it all apart and re-wire a load of stuff but it'll be a lot of effort. Would be better off saving up and replacing the whole lot.

Cheers Dazza, bad news I'm afraid :( it's all built in to the one unit

The only way to improve the bass is to add a terminal to the sub box, disconnect the internal driver and get the wires to the terminal. from the outside world you can then connect to a better passive subwoofer or use a proper subwoofer & connect via high level inputs to the terminals. A bit of hassle either way but it is do-able :)

Personally I'd save for a better system. But if you need any further advice I'm happy to help

If you're wanting a bit more boom from the sub you could always move it closer to the rear wall or closer to a corner. This will load the acoustics like a horn. It will however come at the cost of aesthetics and sound quality. Try moving it around if you can.

Ultimately though Happylad is right. The 'sub' is probably only a 5-6" driver. A real subwoofer is 10"+. I run a pair of 12" in the living room similar to this. It's all about shifting the air!

Ultimately though Happylad is right. The 'sub' is probably only a 5-6" driver. A real subwoofer is 10"+. I run a pair of 12" in the living room similar to this. It's all about shifting the air!

Those BK subs are supposed to be pretty decent. Good performance without going stupid on price. :good:

I've an old REL sub that I've had for about 15 years, just supplies a bit of reinforcement at the real low end of things as I run a pair of 3 way B&W's as my main pair and they drop pretty low without the sub :D

Well I have the drivers and the BK 500W plate amp driving them. I opted for a sealed alignment for smoother roll off. They're driven by a behringer feedback destroyer which acts as a sub equaliser to help level things out. Both units act as speaker stands for left and right speakers, about 65 litres a piece.

BK used to manufacture some of the subs for REL back in the day. That was before REL had stuff made in the far East and before subs were considered a necessity in the home.

War of the Worlds frightened me half to death the first time I played it :good::lol: