• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Bullet Owners Club

.AJ.

Hi guys, I've got a Bullet MT which I need to fit a new nitro engine, here on MS there is a Force .18 which is like the stock one but before buying it (as it is a bit cheaper than the HPI branded) I was wondering if there is a bigger alternative, like a .21 that could fit. what about a racing .12? with more RPM, would it do the job? or the bullet would be to heavy for it? also, do you know if I can fit a bigger tank?  thanks a lot

1st of all why you want to replace your engine? The G3.0 is a good engine for it value. If the compression is the only problem change piston and sleeve, it will cost you less than a new engine.

The space is there if you want to fit a bigger engine but probably you have to make adjustments with the throttle or the engine mount.

I tried once to fit a TRX 3.3 from my t-maxx but the clutch was too big to fit next to spur gear and the ratio would not be good(22 teeth). So i tried to place the clutch from the g3.0 but couldn't fit because the trx use a short crankshaft and the clutch is slimmer.

My point is that you will find perfect fit for the bullet, not compatible and engine that could make it fit but the engine's size is the less that you have to worry about.

1st of all why you want to replace your engine? The G3.0 is a good engine for it value. If the compression is the only problem change piston and sleeve, it will cost you less than a new engine.

The space is there if you want to fit a bigger engine but probably you have to make adjustments with the throttle or the engine mount.

I tried once to fit a TRX 3.3 from my t-maxx but the clutch was too big to fit next to spur gear and the ratio would not be good(22 teeth). So i tried to place the clutch from the g3.0 but couldn't fit because the trx use a short crankshaft and the clutch is slimmer.

My point is that you will find perfect fit for the bullet, not compatible and engine that could make it fit but the engine's size is the less that you have to worry about.

Hi, thanks for the reply, I need to change it as it won't start anymore, had little use but probably it was my fault + wrong nitro %, so right now compression is gone, 

I thought to change piston and sleeve, but the difference with a Force .18 (which is exactly the same as the stock G3.0) is just 11

Hi, thanks for the reply, I need to change it as it won't start anymore, had little use but probably it was my fault + wrong nitro %, so right now compression is gone, 

I thought to change piston and sleeve, but the difference with a Force .18 (which is exactly the same as the stock G3.0) is just 11

Hi, really appreciate your support, basically one day the engine just dies and would not start, the piston was stuck, not moving, I read around and it was at dead end, so I put some after run oil, left there and unlocked, tried to start it and again got stuck, so decided to try to clean it up, and used first, as suggested by an online shop owner some vaseline oil, piston was going up and down fine, when emptied the engine, some black stuff was coming out and I thought it was some dirt left by the fuel, but after drying it out, it would not start again, and again stuck, unlocked and cleaned this time with "white Spirit" also suggested, still black stuff coming out, eventually I got it cleaned, so fitted on the car, new fuel tubes, new glow plug but still no start, changed with other glow plug and different glow plug igniters, nothing, same igniter are working fine on TT same as glow plugs, so these are not the problem, I even used a starter box cos my hands where all scratched, still nothing, tried to lean the needles and to rich them but same result, tried to put some fuel in the carburetor, same result, no starting, so at this point I have no ideas so going for a new engine

1 thing tho, through the side exhaust hole, where you can see the piston, I can see that there are 2 small dents in the piston, and on the top of the piston there is   a small black dot, I read around that the dot could have been caused by wrong fuel %, I used 25% at the beginning as the manual is saying 20%/25%, after 2 litres, I used a 20%, which I still have more than 1 liter left

Now I'm waiting to buy the new engine and will get some Tornado Car 16% hopping in a good choice so I'll keep using that one

anyways, if you have some more suggestion I'm willing to try, I'll wait next weekend to place a order for the engine, still waiting on month salary lol

PS no local shop near by, so no chance to check with "experts" just me internet and guys like you :)

You tear apart your engine to check and clean it? Because from what you are saying I imagine that you went half way.

1st it's bad that your piston went all the way up. Piston and liner will have little compression now. If you removed your piston and con rod from the crankcase you are sure that you placed it in same direction? This is  very important and could cause the engine not to start.

2nd check and clean your exhaust. If you have dirt from leftovers after burning then maybe your settings were wrong and was leaving unburned fuel into engine and exhaust. When you removed your exhaust you found on the exhaust gasket? If it's gone then it explains the black dirt and some air leak. The exhaust gasket is blue when new but turns black and brakes into little pieces.

3rd the dot on the piston is not a problem. You can see it also on running engines. I have it on one of mine that works. But the dents on the piston? You saw it from the liners port? Any chance of a photo?

You can find "experts" even if there is no local shop. Is there anyone on you town with same hobby? If you are in rc for long you get to become an expert because always you will have something to fix. :yes:

Hi, no, i did not tear it apart :) just removed the cylinder head and the exhaust pipe,

when I cleaned it I just put the vaseline oil and white Spirit through the carburetor hole and pulled the pullstart cord many times

the the exhaust it self s clean, there was some unburned fuel which I removed, 

the gasket is not there actually, can this be the problem? I mean is it possible that this cause the engine not to start?

I'll try to get some pics tonight 

Sorry for drifting away from the topic but need some help from you guys.. I am about to place an order on AsiaTees for the alloy hop-ups.
Decided to go with TopCad however they don't have orange color avaliable currently for the parts I wanted to purchase - thinking about going Silver..

Did anyone purchased a Silver TopCad Hop-Ups and would be kind enough to share a picture?

Sorry for drifting away from the topic but need some help from you guys.. I am about to place an order on AsiaTees for the alloy hop-ups.

Decided to go with TopCad however they don't have orange color avaliable currently for the parts I wanted to purchase - thinking about going Silver..

Did anyone purchased a Silver TopCad Hop-Ups and would be kind enough to share a picture?

2gUiKc6.jpg

zY2p18c.jpg

I dont have any problems with silver, silver is neutral as is white gray or black - if you want these parts to standout you need other vibrant colour.

Sorry for bad picture quality.

This is bad. Piston and the inner of a liner should be flawless. This engine definitely wants new set of piston and liner. So if you decide to buy the force .18 you can sell the engine on e-bay as a no runner and get back some of the cost of the new engine. Otherwise you can practice on your engine since you wont damage anything and learn how to disassemble and reassemble a nitro engine. .

This is bad. Piston and the inner of a liner should be flawless. This engine definitely wants new set of piston and liner. So if you decide to buy the force .18 you can sell the engine on e-bay as a no runner and get back some of the cost of the new engine. Otherwise you can practice on your engine since you wont damage anything and learn how to disassemble and reassemble a nitro engine. .

that what I thought but needed confirmation lol

I think I'll keep it so other than piston and sleeve I'll have all spares

Thanks a lot for you support and help

that what I thought but needed confirmation lol

I think I'll keep it so other than piston and sleeve I'll have all spares

Thanks a lot for you support and help

The question is how it happened.

Foreign object from carburetor? Small rock or sand maybe...or from overheating broke a piece from piston and scratched the liner?

Check your temps on your new engine just in case.

And learn on this engine how to tear it apart. Watch a video on youtube and try it out. It's not that difficult, i did it for 1st time recently and i made it through easily. Just remember to place the pieces on a clean rag in line and that the piston with the con rod MUST be placed back in same direction.

ps. if you buy different engine than g3.0 half of the spares or more will be useless.

Foreign object from carburetor? Small rock or sand maybe...or from overheating broke a piece from piston and scratched the liner?

And learn on this engine how to tear it apart. Watch a video on youtube and try it out. It's not that difficult, i did it for 1st time recently and i made it through easily. Just remember to place the pieces on a clean rag in line and that the piston with the con rod MUST be placed back in same direction.

ps. if you buy different engine than g3.0 half of the spares or more will be useless.

Thanks again for getting back, well, once I had a glow plug running for like 2 minutes, then the car quit and when removed the plug, the curly wire was not flu leinth so I believe it must have damaged the engine

sure i'll tear it a part to lear, it would be a good practice

as for the engine, what i'll by is this one: http://www.modelsport.co.uk/force-.18-car-abc-side-ex.-pull-start-engine-sg-shaft-e1802/rc-car-products/370464

which is exactly the same G3.0 that come with the Bullet but not HPI branded and it will cost like 25 quid less :)

• 4 weeks later...

hi, got a brand new engine, the G3.0 standard part just to avoid possible incompatibilities, so I went original :)

fitted in with a rotostart (best buy ever) turned on and breaking it

everything went well, engine running "almost" fine, I guess I need to finish the settings

2 things tho, I'm pretty sure the HSN is fine as I get quite good max speed and temperature is not so high, only thing, I don't get full speed quick enough, I mean, when I'm at full throttle is like it switch to a second gear before reaching full throttle, and I can understand why, is it better if I install a bigger clutch lilt 14T?

second thing, I mite got what caused the issue in the previous engine, the Exhaust Gaskets, basically after removing the pipe, the gasket was all around the pipe exhaust hole, when I got the brand new, they had an extra part going through the middle, so I guess it broke down and went in, so to avoid it, before putting the new one, I just cut off that middle section.

hi, got a brand new engine, the G3.0 standard part just to avoid possible incompatibilities, so I went original :)

fitted in with a rotostart (best buy ever) turned on and breaking it

everything went well, engine running "almost" fine, I guess I need to finish the settings

2 things tho, I'm pretty sure the HSN is fine as I get quite good max speed and temperature is not so high, only thing, I don't get full speed quick enough, I mean, when I'm at full throttle is like it switch to a second gear before reaching full throttle, and I can understand why, is it better if I install a bigger clutch lilt 14T?

second thing, I mite got what caused the issue in the previous engine, the Exhaust Gaskets, basically after removing the pipe, the gasket was all around the pipe exhaust hole, when I got the brand new, they had an extra part going through the middle, so I guess it broke down and went in, so to avoid it, before putting the new one, I just cut off that middle section.

Good choices, the G3.0 as an engine and the rotostart that makes things easier.

For the 1st thing, from your description I can't really understand the problem but it's probably a bit rich. If you go to a 14T bell you will lose acceleration and gain more top speed but you will need more time to go to full speed so it's the opposite from what you want as you said.

And as far for the second, the extra part that you describe from your exhaust gasket is too soft to make the damage that your engine had. Also the piece most likely went into the pipe and not backwards into the engine.

Good choices, the G3.0 as an engine and the rotostart that makes things easier.

For the 1st thing, from your description I can't really understand the problem but it's probably a bit rich. If you go to a 14T bell you will lose acceleration and gain more top speed but you will need more time to go to full speed so it's the opposite from what you want as you said.

And as far for the second, the extra part that you describe from your exhaust gasket is too soft to make the damage that your engine had. Also the piece most likely went into the pipe and not backwards into the engine.

if with a 14t takes longer to get top speed then I'll try a 12t at least I get more acceleration

well thanks you very much for the big support

• 3 weeks later...

all sorted with engine and new clutch bell, plus I've installed a second stock tank, so 75cl+75cl=150cl, now I can run it for about 10 minutes before I run out of gas, thing is that on second tank it gets leaner, I checked on the web and the Savage with a 160cl seems to suffer of the sam problem, solution I found for the savage is to make a hop on the line tube that goes to the carburetor, i did try id and still same issue, although I have an hip fuel filter running between the carburetor and the second tank, so I assume, basically this already sort the tube extra loop.

does anyone know or care to explain why this is happening? I still could not find a reasonable reason.

thanks

I think The problem is with all the extra line and the added tank once empty is it's too big a space to fill with the back pressure from the exhaust if you get my meaning. I'm running duel tanks on my mta4 which occasionally has a similar problem causing temp to soar. Do u get similar problems? It's driving me nuts too can't really find a solution yet. I no other guys running the same setup as me but they don't seem to get any problems. it's really frustrating just wish I knew how to solve it. Sorry just realised this isn't really any help lols

that was my first guess, too much empty air, but then wouldn't we get the same issue on other bigger tanks? I mean, I have e Trophy Truggy with a 125cl, which means that when I run on a quarter of the tank I should get the same issue but it doesn't happen, I also have another car with a 150cl, same as the truggy no problem, th evolution given with etra fuel line between the carburetor and the tank, does not make much sense as for the video I saw they say that it helps since you have more fuel already in the line, but then with the fuel filter I still get more fuel in the line, so I'm blind, and yes, temperature goes higher as soon as the first tank gets empty, which for above tank situations (truggy etc) didn't make sense, I could setup the engine with the second tank so I don't get high temperature and make sure that it is not too lean but again, when on first tank the car runs slow on top speed, now I was thinking to buy a 125cl tank and adapt to see how ti goes but don't know which one :(

The cars with bigger tanks are designed to run them plus the engines and exhaust produce more back pressure so no troubles. What frustrating is a couple of my mates run EXACTLY the same setup but wth no trouble. It's doing my head in I'm so close to just taking the 2nd one off but then my run times are terrible can't even run a full race without needing to fuel up. No good at all. I'm stumped at the minute

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll see what I can dig up tomorrow mate gotto get some sleep

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk