• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

hi guys,well todays bashing nearly ended in complete diseaster!we went out for the day & took my truggy with me.started fine & was running great until a nut on the throttle arm came off.of course, i was running at the time so with the car out of control i quickly turned my transmitter off to engage the failsafe before the car ended up in the river!

While i'm on the subject of transmitter's.Which system are people running?i'm looking to upgrade mine from the standard hpi one & i'm thinking of spektrum one with savox servo's?

It's taken two weeks but my Truggy is finally up & running! :yes:

Turns out one of the replacement differential gears had been machined wrong in the factory. It's teeth were too short and slightly off-aligned :( Managed to get away with fitting the old one alongside a new pinion so I could go bashing yesterday with my mate and his new Trophy Truggy! (He's on his 4th nitro in three months!!)

When we were down the track I thought his would keep up really well with mine, but it seems not! I was leaving him for dust in drag races! Although, thanks to his better turning circle he could keep up round the corners but It's amazing what difference the new differential oil's, servo's, hump pack & air filters have made. Well chuffed!!

Sadly though, my body shell has managed to slice its way through my exhaust tip, so priming the engine is a right pig now & has made the truggy sound like a 1/5 scale petrol. :lol: Will be ordering either the same pipe or might upgrade to a Jammin later today.. :thumbsup:

Oh, and I suppose a new body shell too, as it was getting confusing just trying to tear the cars apart by the wheels.. lol

Edit:

@creativechris - How have you found the Dynamite pipe? Did it bring your engine temps up at all?

I'm tempted to get this, as recommended by AJ. lol

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=33059

Looks the mutts!

Edited by TrickyTris

Ground clearance, durability & mounting.

They'd take a real bashing and the tip would be prone to being clogged resulting in the engine cutting out. You only tend to find downwards facing tips on Monster Trucks, as they have huge ground clearance & usually wheels/body mounts protecting that area.

Glad to her you're up and running.

Got my engine tuned today. Unbelievably easy,.cant believe my first engine rebuild has gone so well, but perhaps shouldn't speak so soon lol.

Still taking it easy on engine and only made 5 or so punch tests after which pinch test was on the money 100% awesome!

I reinstalled the stock clutch for my break in which will now be replaced with 1 of my3 shoes or perhaps I'll go with the Hong nor from 1st page.

Unfortunately my engine screws came loose which jacked out the clutch bell causing (luckily) a little wear on my mid diff gear. Will probably replace with my spare later to be safe and have a closer look.

The worst was my SBB's in the clutchbell were blown open, meaning I need to replace em and I'm out of spares ,..bugger.

So since I've been thinking of getting an 18t clutchbell (engine mounts already modded for extra space) I may as well do so and hopefully I can get SBB's with it.

What clutchbells are compatible with stock fly wheels? (mine is 3 pin but it has the same thickness @ base as the stock ones hence me asking for stock)

What I have been running are thinner/shorter flywheels with a different clutchbell than what u fellas are used too. I know a lot of peeps prefer vented clutchbells but I'm concerned about the dust acting being too abrasive on the clutch shoes,,.any thoughts/experinces

Currently looking at this one on ebay HERE

Edited by Deafty

Well the truggy got a bashing yesterday..... Went to the usual 3 sisters meet with the usual suspects. Having a great time, the truggy was tiring up the ground and basically doing what it does best. Even managed a couple of back flips and landed them both times. It was unstopable!!! Until the end of the day when I was just abt to attempted another flip at full trottle....

Lined it up, trottled back and headed for the jump, at which point my mates sledge hammer s50 was heading straight for the truggy :sweeeet:

Pics to follow but it wasn't pretty SNAPPED front left shock top and down, the left suspension arm, rear wing holder BENT front part of chassis, front tower, steering reinforcing plate, shock rod, back tower and a few driveshafts prob also need a new front diff housing and anything else not yet discovered oh yeah and I'll be needing a new exhaust

So all in all a good day!! :whistling:

Edited by ShadowDEMON88

While i'm on the subject of transmitter's.Which system are people running?i'm looking to upgrade mine from the standard hpi one & i'm thinking of spektrum one with savox servo's?

If money is no object then Specky all day long, if funds are an issue then you cant go far wrong with a Flysky FS-GT3B or GT3C

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flysky-FS-GT3B-3CH-2-4GHz-Transmitter-Receiver-for-RC-Car-Boat-/160865100561?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item25744ea311

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLYSKY-RC-FS-GT3C-3ch-2-4GHz-LCD-GT3C-Silver-Transmitter-GR3C-Receiver-TS896-/270996093195?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item3f18a0390b

Extra receivers for under a fiver, i run all my cars on them with no issues, loads of reveiws out there about them. Cheap and chearful but not Specky standard!!

Until the end of the day when I was just abt to attempted another flip at full trottle....

Lined it up, trottled back and headed for the jump, at which point my mates sledge hammer s50 was heading straight for the truggy :sweeeet:

Pics to follow but it wasn't pretty SNAPPED front left shock top and down, the left suspension arm, rear wing holder BENT front part of chassis, front tower, steering reinforcing plate, shock rod, back tower and a few driveshafts prob also need a new front diff housing and anything else not yet discovered oh yeah and I'll be needing a new exhaust

So all in all a good day!! :whistling:

Aaahhh the deadly "I'll have one last try before i go home" jump, cost me a few quid lol

It's taken two weeks but my Truggy is finally up & running! :yes:

Turns out one of the replacement differential gears had been machined wrong in the factory. It's teeth were too short and slightly off-aligned :( Managed to get away with fitting the old one alongside a new pinion so I could go bashing yesterday with my mate and his new Trophy Truggy! (He's on his 4th nitro in three months!!)

When we were down the track I thought his would keep up really well with mine, but it seems not! I was leaving him for dust in drag races! Although, thanks to his better turning circle he could keep up round the corners but It's amazing what difference the new differential oil's, servo's, hump pack & air filters have made. Well chuffed!!

Sadly though, my body shell has managed to slice its way through my exhaust tip, so priming the engine is a right pig now & has made the truggy sound like a 1/5 scale petrol. :lol: Will be ordering either the same pipe or might upgrade to a Jammin later today.. :thumbsup:

Oh, and I suppose a new body shell too, as it was getting confusing just trying to tear the cars apart by the wheels.. lol

Edit:

@creativechris - How have you found the Dynamite pipe? Did it bring your engine temps up at all?

I'm tempted to get this, as recommended by AJ. lol

http://www.modelspor...roduct_id=33059

Looks the mutts!

For the standard engine, it would definately have to be the JP4

http://www.northernirelandrc.co.uk/shop/article_142/Jammin-JP-4-Hard-coated.html?sessid=Jf9vPWAIiKEvTI0CeuzmaHWtMrtN862YRpKRP9uiHJfc7Ju32uKLf4gOavpyqWTO&shop_param=cid%3D47%26aid%3D142%26

Its a fantastic pipe with a good balance of low end power and flat out speed. I currently run one on my agama buggy with a bullitt b218 and its great.

Thanks

Chris

For the standard engine, it would definately have to be the JP4

http://www.northerni....cid=47&aid=142

Its a fantastic pipe with a good balance of low end power and flat out speed. I currently run one on my agama buggy with a bullitt b218 and its great.

Thanks

Chris

Been looking at the jammin pipes myself, someone suggested the JP-3 for bashing (no idea whats the difference between the 3 pipes) as my pipe has a massive dink in it!

Edited by ShadowDEMON88

JP4 is a bit overkill for me.. No need to spend the extra cash on a race legal (hardened) pipe when it's being fitted to a non-legal engine. I can understand fitting one to a Buggy 3.5 or if you have the extra cash though. :)

Performance wise, I'm not really bothered as my Truggy is more than quick enough for the track so really anything above stock will be an upgrade. I realise the Big Bore is only a 2-chamber but it's a much better unit that has a larger tip & isn't sealed by a piece of rubber.. lol :lol: I might just get the stock one for now and a new body shell, as my budget is too tight this month for both! :(

Well it seems there was a bit more under laying damage to the truggy..... need a new steering servo to add to the every growing list of parts.

Anyone used the HPI SB5 servo? I know your all gonna say get the savox but cant justify

Performance wise, I'm not really bothered as my Truggy is more than quick enough for the track so really anything above stock will be an upgrade. I realise the Big Bore is only a 2-chamber but it's a much better unit that has a larger tip & isn't sealed by a piece of rubber.. lol :lol: I might just get the stock one for now and a new body shell, as my budget is too tight this month for both! :(

new picco 28 over here...... haha :)

Well it seems there was a bit more under laying damage to the truggy..... need a new steering servo to add to the every growing list of parts.

Anyone used the HPI SB5 servo? I know your all gonna say get the savox but cant justify

Theres a big green blob that makes its hard too see,

Does the upper linkage really connect on top of the steering knuckle bolt/screw?

If it does I can see that popping off fairly easily which will then let the front cvd shaft fall out from diff causing,.erm,. problems

Not sure how to find a suitable screw/ball end with out dimensions sorry but guess you're looking for something like this available here

KGrHqNnUE8VKGUpEuBPJr7ZUwfg60_12.jpg

Or perhaps these

140.jpg

Or even these:

HPI-101107_1.jpg

You got other pics without the blob?

PS:// where did u end up getting those parts from? I've been looking at two suppliers for sometime now

Edited by Deafty

haha, either the 1st or 2nd screws are what I am after.

and I got them from that site you linked me too from japan, about 40 quid for the lot.

here are some photos of the screws which fit/thread which fits.

imag1215n.jpg

not sure what type of thread that is on there, but they are used to mount the engine underneath on the hip trouphy, so for example if you un did the 4 bolts from under your truggy those are the exact thread I am after, but I need them longer, and also need a plastic end part of the suspension for the screw to fit though, because at the moment they are lightly too small.

imag1121.jpg

and here is the plastic part i am talking about, only i would like to have a some sort of ball joint in there which is wide enough for that screw, the current ones I have are far too small.

imag1213.jpg

I hope these help???

The easiest way to get them to attach to the truggy is use the ends from the buggy.. As those C Hubs are meant for the buggy not the truggy try these

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=31832

You need the biggest ball end bit that's it the rest is of no use a waste but that's just how the come ..You'll also need these to fix them together

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=31845

I have heard somewhere that you can use traxxas rod ends and those screws but which ones i'm not sure on and there not much cheaper than the top link anyway