• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Engine bearings

fraggs

:helpsmilie: I have just got some new bearings for my engine, the new front bearing has a seal both sides where the old one only has one, should I remove the seal off the new bearing to match the old one?

I don't know if it needs to be removed for the lubrication of the bearing when engine running or if it will be fine as it is?

Anyone have any info on whether to leave alone or to remove one seal from the bearing?

Thanks in advance

not engine manufacturers bearings, better quality ones from bearing supplier so don't know what is best option, old one was ok with just one but two must be better?, it is just the lubrication side of things that is a worry

Edit; for a Hyper .21 engine

Edited by fraggs

Thanks for that Badger, I didn't want to leave it in place if it would cause problems as rebuilding the engine with new piston/liner,bearings ect so it will be like a new engine when built and obviously don't want to wreck it through lack of lubrication to the front bearing

I know what you mean about the price of manufacturers bearings and the quality difference too,I got better quality set of bearings for few quid cheaper than origional (not quite up to ceramic quality but the cost of ceramic bearings is silly)

I have had a reply from Fastboy (the guy that does resizing/pinching of liners ect) and been advised to leave both seals inplace as you have said Badger

Thanks for the advice guys, the rest of the bits have arrived so rebuild of engine is on the cards

(I could do step by step if anyone is interested unless been done before?)

as an ex-skateboarder i can safely say seals make no diff. or they didnt to me. with regards to an engine i would think similar as in both instances theyd be subject to a fair level of ooze and still keep on rolling. either way most bearings ive used took a good level of outside material before they naffed in. so with confines of a sealed and lubricated engine seal would do little if anything to effect it

Iv done one I'm the tutorials :lol:

I did a search earlier to see if it had been done before (I even commented on your step by step, my memory is hopeless), will be rebuilding it tomorrow when I am more awake !!