• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ESC wiring question.

Ralph

Hi all just after a bit of info on how the ESC gets its signal from the receiver and delivers power to the receiver.

I've got an LRP F1 Reverse Digital ESC with 3 wires going to the one connector to deliver power to the receiver and carry the signal from the receiver. I tested it with the multimeter and the black and red wires deliver the 5V to the reciever so is it just the one remaining white wire that carries the signal to the ESC or does the red and black also carry the signal??

I'd like to know the answer because my 2 channel Acoms AR201 27 MHz AM receiver does not appear to send power down the battery connection to power a fan and i wonderd if i could splice into the ESC 5V output.

Cheers for your help

Ralph

Edited by Ralph

You're correct, the signal is carried only over the white wire. The best thing to do to power the fan is to get a Y splitter for the ESC or servo cable. You could splice in, but I'd only suggest it if the solder terminals for the wire to the ESC are easy to access, like on the EZrun ESC's.

WOW very fast reply. good.gif

Thanks thats a great help and I was thinking abou pulling the cover off and soldering direct to the connections on the board as opposed to the wires.

I'll check what stuff i've got to do this with now and get the fan and bits on order cheers cool.gif

if adding fan simply plug it into reciever power plug socket so when power up esc on goes fan :good:

if adding fan simply plug it into reciever power plug socket so when power up esc on goes fan good.gif

Unfortunately my reciever is the really old naff acoms that doesnt deliver power out for a fan. I tested it with the multimeter to check and got zip sad.gif

how tested with lead or via pins on the outer two?

With everythinig plugged in, switched on and power supplied i tested all the pins with the multimeter and got zip.

I've had this radio gear, ESC and motor for years but hasnt been used that much apart from recently and hated the limitations of the touring car so got the

Below is a simple 2 channel rx (receiver) that will show the pinouts to test with your meter.

post-1868-12759188254_thumb.jpg

If you only have a 2 ch rx, then all the slots will be full - battery on first pins, esc on throttle pins and servo on steering pins.

If this is what you have, then use a servo Y-lead to split the battery feed to the rx and fan.

cheers GingGangGooly didn't know thats how they worked.

with my ESC it supplies the power so the bat socket is free but does not supply power out for anything.

its ok now anyway i'm going to solder a power supply (with female connector) onto the ESC for the 5v out and i've got a heat sink with fan on the way. cool.gif

Right thanks for your help everyone i've got it sorted now.

Took the cover off the ESC and soldered the power supply lead to the board. just tested it and the ESC still works so i aint blown it lol and i get 5V through my power supply lead so bonus that work.

Fans on order so final test will be some bashing and see if too much current is drawn and burns out the ESC though i very much doubt that will happen lol.

Thanks again all good.gif

The easier way would have been to chop the fan plug off and solder it direct to the motor tabs. laugh.gif Oh well, your way will look pretty neat. smile.gif

i'm pretty sure that would kill the fan lol.

haha yes it does look factory finish now good.gif