• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is this normal?

Nitroholic

Having just invested in 2.4Ghz for the RC fleet, I spent a happy weekend swapping out the old RX's from both cars to put in the new Spektrum kit. The XT2 was pretty straightforward, aside from it having RX connectors that were oddly fat and not able to fit in properly... nothing that 5 minutes with an old connector, soldering iron and heat-shrink sleeving couldn't fix. Fired up the kit to bind it, and it worked fine. Everything seemed pretty much as it had been before aside from my aeriel now being teeny and there being far more space in the rx compartment now that the failsafe is part of the RX.

So..I moved on to the TT ST1. hmmm

Now, whilst I like this truggy a lot, it has been somewhat of a problem child from day 1. If this had been my first buggy, I would have kicked nitro into touch and gone and spent my wages on something else...Suffice to say, the thing arrived with the idel set to fully close on dead throttle so she stalled every time hte brakes went on. The LSN needed to be wound out 1.5 turns before it would stop winding it's idle speed up to dangerous levels if you paused for 30 seconds ( once I had stopped it stalling ) and last ...but by no means least....I found the throttle linkages snagged on the brakes at full throttle and would apply the brakes. I wondered why the clutch was overheating .... Anyways....that's all in the past! Now, she has some new things I don't get.

1) I had to reverse all the servos to work with the DX3. Is this indication of something in the way the servos are wired? I think I read somewhere about US and EU kit being different in this respect. Do I have 'US' servos or is this just one of those things that happen?

2) The throttle linkage now sits at a different start position even though it was in it's correct 'neutral' position when the new RX was put in and the binding process done. Easy enough to adjust...but gave me a surprise when I started it up. Rrrreeeeeevvvvvvvv! Fortunately I always put her on a block when startinng up.

3) Steering. I now have stacks of full left lock, and limited right lock. I can even it out with te Spektrum using the end-point adjustment, but the steering servo does not seem to want to behave as it did before. I had trouble with the start point being wrong, manually set the wheels straight ahead, then re-connected and re-bound it and that sorted the middle...just won't behave on the turns. I know the RX/TX kit is good as I swapped them over onto the XT2 and they behaved fine there.

At this point, I did what any sane man would do, and headed off with the XT2 for a bit of bashing.

I assume this is something in the way the thing was set up or something I skipped on installation, as the servos worked OK before and the RX/TX is fine. Just not sure exactly hos I should go about setting this up so it works PROPERLY rather than with reduced steering.

the reversing of servos can be normal, basically it depends which way the servo horn comes off the servo, on your old controller the reverse servo switches are probably all on yes. so nothing to worry about.

Now for the throttle take the servo horn off, power up the servos and spektrum and set trim to neutral and refit the servo horn and wola its centre again lol.

And for the steering im gonna say the same as above, take off the horn set neutral on trim epa to 100% and make sure you havent set the dual rates lower as this effects how much throw you get side to side. Now re fit the steering horn and fingers crossed your good to go fella

hope that helps

thanks Creamsoda, the steering servo horn will be off tonight :)

I probably won't bother with the throttle one as I adjusted the linkage already. I might fiddle with it more later, as I am not 100% sure it will be giving me all the throttle opening. that's one to play with over the winter in those quiet moments as I dream of Baja's and the smell of 2-stroke.

I will also check with the steering that I am getting the same amount of movement each way. If this is not even then moving the servo horn may not be the whole answer, unless of course, it was hitting full movement in one direction. Still..it's only one screw to undo!

hmm...not going to be that simple, I can see.

There does seem to be an issue with the amount of total movement each way. It actually moves further on full travel one way compared to the other. Is there a simple way of telling if the servo has reached it's full range of movement? Should it stop and go no further?I am going to do some more testing tonight, but if I don't cure it i might just have to live with it.

From a general point of view, how much steering lock is considered 'good' and how much is too much. It occurs to me that the thing could be steering too far the other way....and anyway, full lock is only really used at lowish speeds anyway. At higher speeds you have to get it sliding and break traction before you can use hard lock to slide her.

most 2.4ghz TX have EPA [end point adjustment] move you streering one way and and then adjust the endpoint using the TX settings so that it wont try and push the whells further than they can go as if you leave it to do that you will strip the gearing inside you servo

I'll give that a try. If I give it a boost on the EPa one way, and reduce the other way a little I should be able to get a balance so the steering lock is the same both ways. I compared the full lock turn with my XT2, and it looks like it turns a LOT further one way...and the XT2 seems to turn pretty well when I am driving it.... so it's not a major issue really.

Soon as the rain stops pouring down I plan to give it a proper run out.....

hows it goin bud just been readin your thread about your st1 there is a mod people use not used it myself as dont need it for where i go its called saxons steering mod look it up itll improve you steering greatly as for the servos upgrade them personnaly i think this car is great the only prob i got with it is lack of hop ups and available parts but there and again these cars are solid, if i were you change the grease in the diffs for oil also