• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Ansmann flash gear Conversion !

daveyboi73

Well, you are right. Spur is only 1.1 mm below Rear Upper Deck, and gap between motor and Shaft Drive Joint is only 2 mm.

Anyway, I'm searching hours web to find about 80T spur with suitable inner hole diameter. Do you know some?

ALIM1349.gif

Unfortunatley no! The ansmann spurs monutings and holes are unique to that design im afraid,and the closest i found was from the

kyosho alpha ep namely there 74 tooth spur,but i needed to space the upper housing and it was impossible to get the spur to run true,cos of the bad moulding of the kit spur and thats why im getting a custom kit done!

All tests with brushed motors have gone really well! I started with the stock ansmann can and have gone right through to a reedy ti 9 single,and the motors run alot cooler,and arent strained any more!!!! Im gonna chuck in the brushless and lipo setup tommorrow(got kids today)And will absolutely thrash it,to see if the delrin spur is up to the job!!!

If it breaks ill offer the delrin gear for brushed motors,and have a steel spur machined for for brushless setups!

keep ya posted :D

OMG!!! Some good news at last!! I dont care how much etc just put me down for a whole setup!!!!! :D:D:P:P

:D no probs

Its just a case of getting the grub screw in the right place on the pinion,and getting the centering of the spur mount,and the center hole diameter just right!!! The problem is the shaft is just under 5mm in diameter,which is fine for plastic as it stretches a little,but with alloy its a little more awkward!!! The finished kit will comprise of premouned 48 DP spur on a custom turned mount,and a custom longer boss 20 tooth pinion! To fit all that needs to be done is a little filing of the plastic part of the motor mount,and replacement of the motor screws fron normal to flat head screws!!

I only have a kv4300 ez run setup to test at the moment,and a 7.4v lipo,and the kit has held up well!!!

will keep ya posted :D

Well good news,the little niggles are ironed out,and im getting the final product at the end of the week!

Could anyone who is interested in the conversion please pm me so i can sort out how many units to order in the initial batch?

the cost will be around the

Final product !!!!!

phone%20pics%20001.jpg

Full kit,just add car!!!! All hardened steel and alloy,so you will be really hard pushed to break or strip this !!!!!!

phone%20pics%20004.jpg

The kit on the left is optimized for the extra punch available from a brushless system ( 22 tooth pinion 69 tooth spur) I did try a larger spur and a smaller pinion,but the extra punch from the brushless system did strain the drive train a little too much!

The spur mount is machined for an exact fit,And the pinions are machined to exactly the same length in 48dp pitch!!!

Installation is pretty straight forward too,with only slight modifications to the motor mount required!!!

I did a quick install guide on a smacker chassis as it was close to hand!!!

The first thing to do is to countersink the mount holes on the alloy motor plate to accept countersunk screws,as this allows alot smoother side ways movement!! The alloy is really soft,so be VERY careful !!!

071409183826.jpg

The screws for the motor will be supplied in the final kit!!!

Then a little filing is needed on the plastic plate of the mount to elongate the centre hole is required (please excuse the rough job as i had very little time)

071409183911.jpg

The hole needs to be widened by around 3mm to allow a little more sideways movement of the pinion gear !!! (although i hope you do a neater job!)The end result should look like this !!!!

071409183854.jpg

So the pinion has more sideways movment with out catching or rubbing on mount!!

071409184335.jpg

Then a little cooling before spur fitment. This step is essental to the chassis as it helps the motor to vent waste heat!!!! You can drill several small holes as i have done here,or you can completely cut a rectangular slot under the motor,and then super glue a piece of fine mesh over the slot to prevent small stone ingress etc!! All it costs is a £1 tea strainer for the mesh! Tesco every little helps : )

071409185045.jpg

The spur fits on exactly the same way as the kit original! Use of a decent grease is advised!!!

phone%20pics%20006.jpg

The mount fits very snug in between the ballrace and the rear gearbox,but does not rub on anything,so no premature wear or undue friction is created!!!

All you need to do now is refit the center shaft,the motor mount and mesh the spur.

phone%20pics%20005.jpg

phone%20pics%20007.jpg

Now just replace the the top cover etc and enjoy!!!

The final kits will be available in two specs:-

Brushed:- This comprises of an alloy mount, 48 dp 71 tooth acetal spur gear,fixing screws for spur and motor,and a longer (lol) boss hardened steel pinion that has 20 teeth in a 48 DP pitch! Please note that these are machined to order( approx 14 day wait) and a single wind motor of around 18-19 turns gives best balance of performance/power!!!

Cost is £16.99 inc vat and postage! (Buyers outside EU please add £5.00 to cover extra postage)

Brushless:- This comprises of an alloy mount, 48 dp 69 tooth hardened steel spur gear,fixing screws for spur and motor,and a longer (lol) boss hardened steel pinion that has 22 teeth in a 48 DP pitch! These come in small batches and once i have enough orders,these will be ready to ship in approx 10-14 days!

Cost is £25.00 inc vat and postage! (Buyers outside EU please add £5.00 to cover extra postage)

I will always like feedback wether good or otherwise,so i can improve the design and quality of the kits!!! If feed back is good, i will send off a diff and have the internals remade in much more durable material,and the crownwheel and bevel gear redone in a fine pitch,to further improve the drive trains strength,and improve final drive ratio!!!

These kits are also exellent for the master smacker,as the reduced ratio,and central running spur,has allowed me to run a 12x2 with no overheating!!!

anyone with questions,or would like to place an order,please PM me for details nd ill get back to you asap!!!

Thanks for all your patience

Dave

Edited by daveyboi73
  • Like 1

Hi all !!

Im in the process of contructing a little shop that will offer the conversion kits as a whole,or you can purchase individual components!!! The preffered payment method will be paypal,but I will accept cheques or postal orders!

I have a few other little upgrades under development too and will keep ya posted!!!!

Cheers

dave

Hi all !!

Im in the process of contructing a little shop that will offer the conversion kits as a whole,or you can purchase individual components!!! The preffered payment method will be paypal,but I will accept cheques or postal orders!

I have a few other little upgrades under development too and will keep ya posted!!!!

Cheers

dave

how are we doing with the shop????

Hi

Whilst im waiting for final gearsets sets to arive,ive been in touch with a few people about a few further improvements to the chassis design of the flash/smacker! One area has got to be the rear uprights,as my son has broken quite a few,so ive sent some samples away,to get a pair milled out of decent quality alloy!!! If the price is good ,and the fit good,I will ask for a small batch to be made!!! Im also looking into the diffs ,as the standard diffs are well designed,Then actual materials used are well below standard ! I was originally going to go down the ball diff route,but this worked out to be rather expensive,so im know looking at getting the standard design diff internals and housing machined in more robust materials!!! If any one has any futher ideas for of possible improvements for the chassis,please post,and ill take a look!! :D

Hi all !!!

Well the parts are now being milled,as i type this,and then the pinions and brushless spurs are being sent away to be hardened,so i will have parts to shift in about approx 3 weeks!!!!

I have been having a think about kit specs,and i was going to a seperate kit for both brushless and brushed motors,but as there are a lot of peeps buying the flash,then converting to brushless, i may do a starter kit comprising of :- 1x alloy spur mount,1x set fixings,1x pot of lithium grease,1x shim set,1x 21 tooth pinion,1x 73 tooth 48DP acetal spur(brushed) 1x 69 tooth

48 DP hardened steel spur(Brushless).

I think this will cover most peoples basic needs!! I am aware that a few chaps want more than one brushless setup,so ill have individual parts available as well to meet specific requirements!!

I will post final prices next week and i will require a deposit to secure your order,as these parts are hand turned and batch sizes are quite small!!! I will post more details when i set final prices !!!!

I will also have some larger pinions made,ranging from 22-26 tooth 48DP,for more powerful brushless motors,and also so master smacker owners can also benefit from gear conversion!!!

Ill keep ya posted : )

Edited by daveyboi73

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all !!!

Well the parts are now being milled,as i type this,and then the pinions and brushless spurs are being sent away to be hardened,so i will have parts to shift in about approx 3 weeks!!!!

I have been having a think about kit specs,and i was going to a seperate kit for both brushless and brushed motors,but as there are a lot of peeps buying the flash,then converting to brushless, i may do a starter kit comprising of :- 1x alloy spur mount,1x set fixings,1x pot of lithium grease,1x shim set,1x 21 tooth pinion,1x 73 tooth 48DP acetal spur(brushed) 1x 69 tooth

48 DP hardened steel spur(Brushless).

I think this will cover most peoples basic needs!! I am aware that a few chaps want more than one brushless setup,so ill have individual parts available as well to meet specific requirements!!

I will post final prices next week and i will require a deposit to secure your order,as these parts are hand turned and batch sizes are quite small!!! I will post more details when i set final prices !!!!

I will also have some larger pinions made,ranging from 22-26 tooth 48DP,for more powerful brushless motors,and also so master smacker owners can also benefit from gear conversion!!!

Ill keep ya posted : )

Good news !!!! :good:

The kits are now in the process of being made,and then sent off to be hardened!!! They should be available for delivery early september time latest !!!!

I have chosen to stick with the original idea of a seperate kits for brushless and brushed aplications at the moment tokeep costs as low as possible,and have finalized prices,which are inclusive of 1st class postage!!

The brushed version :- Acetal 48dp spur gear x1,Hand turned alloy spur mount,Custom 48 dp longer boss pinion,set of fiting screws,nylonshim and fitting instructions= £19.99

The brushless version:-As above but with 48 dp hardened steel spur gear=£24.99

I will require a deposit to guarantee one of the first batch (£10 for brushed kit and £15 for the brushless version)and the remaining balance can be paid upon belivery time,so pm me and ill give you the details,and if everyone who has shown an interest in the kits please reconfirm the kit they want!!! I would like deposit payments to be done by PAYPAL,as i thik its the safest route to take!!!!

Once you recieve the kits,i do ask for feed back,suggested improvements etc i would be really greatfull,and appreciate any further help and opinions in further developing the product!!!

thanks for all your patience in this matter!!! :good:

Edited by daveyboi73

I'm sorry, but I doubt to your solution. You still have Rollout Ratio (1,436) too high (1,673 Ansmann original). It should be near 1. You will still have overheating, I believe.

Calculation:

Rollout Ratio 1,436

Gearing Quotient 9,230

Pinion:Spur Ratio 3,550

max rpm / GQ (max RPM/TIRE) 3666,306

max speed (km/h) 74,078

I'll try with HPI 81 48dp spur and 20 (then 17) pinion.

Left Ansmann setup, right new setup:

81_20.jpg

Edited by Aleks

I'm sorry, but I doubt to your solution. You still have Rollout Ratio (1,436) too high (1,673 Ansmann original). It should be near 1. You will still have overheating, I believe.

Calculation:

Rollout Ratio 1,436

Gearing Quotient 9,230

Pinion:Spur Ratio 3,550

max rpm / GQ (max RPM/TIRE) 3666,306

max speed (km/h) 74,078

I'll try with HPI 81 48dp spur and 20 (then 17) pinion.

Left Ansmann setup, right new setup:

81_20.jpg

Thats a good alternative solution!!!

You seem to miss a few keypoints! The flashes two biggest flaws was the gearing being to high,and the ansmann spur mount hole is not directly centered ,so the the spur doesnt run true,which in turn puts extra strain on the motor,hence the extra heat!!! I have kept to the ratios i use because the kit had to be easy to fit with the minimum of modification! The spur you have chosen will rub on the gearbox housing,and will catch on the chassis at the bottom, and unless you cut a slot in the chassis and open up the top gear cover the spur you have will not fit!! I agree on paper the roll out looks to high,but i have tested the kits thoroughly,and with a spur mount that runs,true,and correct pinion spacing and ventilating the chassis underneath,an aftermarket motor heatsink,and with the ratios i use the flash runs well,with a brushed motor,and doesnt overheat!!!! I have also made this kit,due to the high number of poeple who run various brushless setups,as the stock ansmann stuff just melts or strips!!! The ratio ive used for the brushless kits is a compromise of testing and ease of fitting,the simple fact that brushless has much higher torque anyway and choosing materials that are up to the job,to provide a long lasting solution!!!

Everyone has a right to choose how they mod there cars to achieve performance they desire,and these kits are here to offer a wider choice!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

the kits should be ready to ship first week in september!!! Im just waiting for the spurs and pinions to come back form being hardened,ad then it will be all go!!!

Thats good good to hear...:good:.:D

• 2 weeks later...