• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Storing NiMHs?

ben_rc

How long is it going to be stored for? A week or two should be half charged. If longer, store it fully charged.

Either way, don't forget to flatten before recharging next time.

Just to add to what Garry says, NiMh's & the cold don't mix well, cold air tends to knock hell out of them so the best thing to do is store them at room temperature if you can rather than leaving them locked away in a drafty garden shed or the garage out in the cold winter air.

Right, thanks alot guys.

Shouldn't be that long, maybe a week or two MAX....

Will favourite this thread, cheers

Oh*

And to discharge, which I still need to learn, is it easier for me to just put the battery in the truck, and run it until its near dead?

Edited by ben_rc

Just to add to what Garry says, NiMh's & the cold don't mix well, cold air tends to knock hell out of them so the best thing to do is store them at room temperature if you can rather than leaving them locked away in a drafty garden shed or the garage out in the cold winter air.

Hi there, I am a total newbie to RC (But loving the hobby!) but now I'm confused. I thought it was better to store NiMh batteries at a cooler temperature, I've read that you should keep them in the fridge if not using them for a long period of time, some advise to even keep in the freezer!?

Grateful if someone could clarify and provide a definitive answer?

Apologies for muddying waters or contradicting your helpful advice mad-wolfe.

Nope, NiMH need warm temps, but not hot. When racing in winter, its common practice to re-peak cells a little before racing to warm them up and improve perfomance, but its not needed for most non-racing applications.

And discharging, I can't think of a separate discharger that will do packs bigger than 6 cells. Which charger have you got? If its a good one with a discharge function, then use that.

iv had nimh batteries unused for over a year without a charge before and they have been fine. however the cold is a bugger. when airsofting in minus 3 iv had batteries just die in minutes after a full charge, also as garry said things run slower on cold batteries.

adam

iv had nimh batteries unused for over a year without a charge before and they have been fine. however the cold is a bugger. when airsofting in minus 3 iv had batteries just die in minutes after a full charge, also as garry said things run slower on cold batteries.

adam

Thanks for clearing up - love the use it more so no need to worry method!

Will store at room temperature.

Thanks guys!

no :lol:

i keep my batterys for my airsoft guns in my work shop out side. so it will get nippy in winter, n they are fine. its jsut using them in the cold that makes a difference. storing them jsut in a box or shelf is fine. only after long periods of time would you need to discharge them before recharging them.

if you use them regularly like me (racing) i just discharge them when i get home from the race, then charge them up again the following week.

adam