• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

rear wheel dirve - twin engined hyper 7?

midi-mania

well i was thinking of how i could get some extra space in my twinpower

then i came up with the idea of making it rear wheel drive?

i would take the central spider, the front diff and all the front drive shafts out (the fronts are normal dog bones meaning it would free wheel) and then i would get a normal diff and either get the hub(?) welded onto it or where the cross pin goes through it stick a bolt through the casing of a normal cheap diff so it was locked in place and all the power went to the back wheels and the rear diff is already a spider too, that way i would have alot more room to put things in and it would be alot better than front wheel drive due to all the weight being at the back?

what would the speed differences be like? as it is an on road car i don't really need the 4x4 capability anyway and it would also lighten it a little, would it go the same speed as it would in 4x4 version or would the lightened front give it a little extra at top end?

may also give me a reason to fit a wheelie bar?

but really i just want to know about top end differences becuase it would give me a lighter car and more room

thanks for your ideas anyway :)

it will probably understeer a lot with all the height on the back and stuff on the front.

understeer? i care? its a speed car, not a track car :)

truggy wheels on the back, i like the sound of that :lol::)

why would it be hard to control? all top end race cars are rear wheel drive...

i think ill try it when i get my new chassis done :)

but were can i get red, swirl wheels for truggys?, would i need the adapter too? also, where is the best place to get a wheelie bar?

i was thinking of going 2 speed too but that would require yet more moding so ill stick to what i have at the moment, for now i will just put a bolt through an old plastic diff case but once tested ill do it to a spider diff so it looks the part too