• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

should i buy a savage xl?

martin34

Hi i am tempted by the savage xl.I already have a savave thet has a lcg chassi and stuff but i like the look of the xl.Now i could buy the xl chassi and 5.9 motor and 3 speed gearbox but this wont be alot cheaper than just buying a complete xl.I think the xl with some 40 series prolines would be a great bashing truck.What do you reckon?Should i buy one? :helpsmilie:

Hi i am tempted by the savage xl.I already have a savave thet has a lcg chassi and stuff but i like the look of the xl.Now i could buy the xl chassi and 5.9 motor and 3 speed gearbox but this wont be alot cheaper than just buying a complete xl.I think the xl with some 40 series prolines would be a great bashing truck.What do you reckon?Should i buy one? :helpsmilie:

buy one can ye buy me one at the same time pweez lmffao

Well i bought myself one and got it today.I obviously havent ran it yet but looks wise it is very impressive.I took out the pre load spacers from the shocks like maxbashing said and lowered the front body mount and now it looks mean and ready to go :good: .

i'm sure you'll love it. it might be worth having a look down the bore to check the engine. alot of people have found shavings. to be honest i didn't with mine and its been fine for over 2 gallon. which reminds me hope you've got plenty of fuel

i've used tornado 25% and model technics 25% it runs better on the tornado but still not bad on the MT. let me know i yours selecst all 3 gears when you get going. mine wouldn't touch first i had to strip the gear box down and adjust 2nd. and then wheelies start anywhere

Yep i will let you know if the gear change is ok.I hope it is as i dont realy want to have to strip it down straight away :( .I have been reading on u.s forums that the stock pipe on the xl is not a good pipe for this engine.The pipe is to small and restricting the power and thats why alot of them run very hot.The pipe that most people seem to like is the cen gst 7.7.It is ment to realy make it go at the topend and keep the temps down :good:

230f in last weekends heat was good.I was realy struggleing to keep my little crt.5 below 280f with the body off.I know what you mean about it being hotter in the u.s compared to the u.k but i still think a different pipe will realy liven this engine up.I have a k4.6ho in my hb lighning buggy and fitted a jp-3 to it and it realy goes with that pipe compared to the hpi pipe i had on it before. :good: .

are these a straight fit? i also hope they don't make the thing even louder

The jp-3?The jp-3 is a left hand pipe so i dont think it will fit on the savage but the jp-3 isnt to loud.There is a guy on savage central who got 44mph out of his totaly stock savage xl with temps of 237f(or about there).He is going to try the cen pipe so that should be interesting to see what he thinks.