• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Breaking in TT EB4

ShezDawg

Hi All,

So got an EB4 S3 last week and am trying (with difficulty) to break it in.

Have managed to get it running thru a couple of tanks of nitro but then keep running into problems keeping the motor running.

Manage to get it idling but as soon as I either take the glow starter off or open the thottle (even with the starter still on) it stalls.

I take it has something to do with the mixture settings but being new to the game not really sure where I'm going wrong.

Thing that's getting me is the fact that I managed to run a whole tank no probs yesterday, let it cool and then was unable to start it thereafter and no joy again today.

Appreciate any suggestions

cheers

Michael

Sounds like it may be too rich and needs leaning a tad.

Like Tatey said - read the break in guide in the stickies.

Keep an eye on the engine temperature ( an infra red engine temp gauge is a good idea) and watch the smoke.

What fuel you using??

I've just been running in a new motor with Byron Gen 2 25% and found it tricky to get the engine up to temp. Had to lean it quite a bit from factory settings.

Sounds like it may be too rich and needs leaning a tad.

Like Tatey said - read the break in guide in the stickies.

Keep an eye on the engine temperature ( an infra red engine temp gauge is a good idea) and watch the smoke.

What fuel you using??

I've just been running in a new motor with Byron Gen 2 25% and found it tricky to get the engine up to temp. Had to lean it quite a bit from factory settings.

Had read through the stickies before sending the post hoping there might be an answer for me but as I didn't come across a specific one I figured I'd ask.

Have to say the the quarter turn of glow plug really helps altho find it spits fuel in the cooling head.

Tried using the TT break in suggestion (varies a lot from suggested in the stickies (suggests full throttle runs pretty much from the off !) so have done a mix of both)

Thought problem might be that it's too rich as it starts OK and does idle with the glow starter on. When it was running was getting the required blue smoke but didn't want to lean it too much so as not to do any damage.

Is it likely that I just need to lean the HSN or the LSN too ? (sorry if already answered on another post but though while I'm speaking I might aswell ask)

using 16% that the model shop sold with the kit (prezzie from the missus so I had no input) Gonna sound silly here but should I be taking temp from cooling head ? not got a temp gauge - was gonna settle for spittle test.

Will have a go at leaning things up a bit

Thanks

Michael "not got a clue" Sheridan

What engine have you got in there mate? I bought a EB4 S2 and it came with the TT .21 and its a excellant engine in terms of doing what its told. It idles so low and ticks over for 30 seconds!

I recently bought a Savage with a SH .28 engine and its a bloodly pain, taking me hours to get some sort of idle. As soon as i touch the idle of LSN it stops!

First, i would reset the needles back to factory default. And try from there, aslong as you got gunk comming out of the exhaust and smoke the engine is getting lubbed and theres no worry about engine damage.

Second, at idle and with the brake on you should have a 1mm gap (take you air filter off and have a look at the carb) in the air intake. You might have to fiddle with the linkage position and the idle to screw (its what i had to do)

If you happy you have all that sorted and the car is still having an idle problem. I would get it started and have the idle slightly high, not to high as the car will run off on its own and you can kill the clutch.

If the car will idle without the glow plug, you can try lowering the idle if the car is going on its own. If you lower the idle and it stalls, you might need to slighty adjust the LSN, from what i have read if the LSN is lean it can cause the car to idle high and it can also cause the car to stall when you apply 50% + throttle.

Otherside of the coin, if its running too rich (which can happen if your breaking the engine) it might not be reaching a decent temp (I had this problem aswell, engine was at 160f) and it could be a cause to why it wont start/run/idle. Also running rich can kill glow plugs quick. So keep an eye on the glow plug.

Well, i hope some of this is of help. Some engines can be a real pain. My Eb4 S2 is so reliable its untrue. Second pull of the cord and it starts, it idles very low and holds its tune great.

Savage, well it depends on the engine. Sometimes is great, some times its a pig :). Try not to be too technicle with it, sometimes you have to use some common sense and go by sound and smoke!

Thanks Logie,

Your suggestions are much appreciated

Believe it's a TT .21 altho IIRC modelzone website claims it's a Pro 28 (at work at the moment so can't confirm)

Probably make sense to go back to factory settings to get the thing running and then tweek from there.

Likelihood is the car is set too rich but certainly will have a go checking the idle (something I left standard without checking)

surprisingly the glow plug hasn't fowled yet.

Case of the settings I reckon - prob the engine not getting to sufficient temp hence the reason for it cutting out as soon as the glow charger is removed or if throttle is blipped.

will keep trying and in worst case will take myself to either TJD models in Dartford or Dartford race track and see if someone there will have sympathy on a newbie

Fingers, Toes & eyes crossed