• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Running in

Nitr0Maj0r

So my new car should come today, i dunno how to run it in really, but have searched and read loads and it seems simple, anyone got any tips?

The engine has to be Run-in before full-time use. It is very important that this procedure is carried out. Not doing so will shorten the life and reduce the overall performance of your engine.

To run your car in, take your finished model and roll it back and forth to be certain the car’s wheels can turn freely. Place the car in a position so that the wheels are off the ground, for example on a heavy box or brick, and follow the starting procedures as listed below. Once it starts and is idleing slowly place it on the ground and drive it slowly on a flat surface. For the first use do not let the engine run for more then 3 minutes. Carry on running slowly for short periods until you have gone through 2 - 3 tanks of fuel. Use good quality fuel with around 10 - 20% mix. Ensure that the idle speed is not to high or else you will burn your clutch out or snap the con rod, and also make sure that the brake is not applied.

Do not over accelerate at all during this procedure, as it can severly damage the engine. After each idling time, let the car rest for about 10 minutes between each tank. Running in makes sure that the engine is operating correctly before you take it out for a proper run. Never accelerate the engine while all four wheels are off the ground, as this will break the conrod or other important components. 

When you stop the engine make sure that the piston is at the BOTTOM of its cycle. Dunno if its in that paragraph above couldn't be arsed to read it.

You can check by taking out the glowplug and trying to set the piston as low as you can.

Thanks, so ill leave it running for 2 tank fulls, stopping the engine every 3 mins and leaving for 10 in between?

Then carry on with wht is above?

no the first ever time you start the engine put it on idle manually and leabe it on a rock or something for a tank without doing anything else no stopping or anything then after the tank is empty start it up again and leave it for a tank. Then you are ready for breaking in. The first tank you run it up and down and half throttle never full untill the tank is finished. Second to six tank you do the same but drive it up and down at full throttle then full brake and change one of the needles cant remeber the name of it 1/8th of a turn and the performance of the engine will be better, complete this stage untill the performance is worse then turn it back 1/8th of a turn then your ready to go.

ive heard that you souldnt do it that way as the engine never gets up to full operating temp. so the piston and sleeve get worn. dont use some random run in advice you found on the net use the guide you get with the car.

you need to do a tank letting it idle..don't do anything to it.

then you need to do a tank or 2 not going above quarter throttle

1 or 2 tanks not going above half

1 or 2 tanks not going above 3 quarters

and then you can start giving it some but make sure your engine is setup correctly before giving it some and going full out!

The code at the top is what was on there official site and it the manula, illfollow that, hopw do i know wether the engine is set up rite?

theres way too much to explain when getting a car new even for the likes of mth, follow the instruction manuel,it'll tell ya how to break it in, post your probs as you run into em like the rest of us!

I've broken 2 cars in like this

1 tank idle

1 tanks crawling - tiny amount of throttle

1 tank no more than 1/4 throttle

1 tank no more than 1/2 throttle

----------------------- 3/4 throttle

2 tank full throttle (take it easy)

then start tuning. its worked fine for me

my best advice would is read the manual a couple of times, let it sink in. Something I should have done! :wacko:

Yes thats exactly what im doing, i have read the manula 5 maybe 6 times and i know it off by heart now, i just went to my local shop, and asked him about it, they cant get fuel in till tommorow so ill do it then.

And it says ellite hacker cause i am...

They told me to go for about 10 tanks for running in, i can follow the maunaul or i was thinking

2 Tanks idle

2 tanks tiny amount of throttle

2 Tanks 1/4

2 tanks Halh

2 tanks 3/4's

Then give it full throttle taking it easy.

I am listening to you so dont think im ntot, i would be here asking if i wasnt wanting to listen.

Yes thats exactly what im doing, i have read the manula 5 maybe 6 times and i know it off by heart now, i just went to my local shop, and asked him about it, they cant get fuel in till tommorow so ill do it then.

And it says ellite hacker cause i am...

They told me to go for about 10 tanks for running in, i can follow the maunaul or i was thinking

2 Tanks idle

2 tanks tiny amount of throttle

2 Tanks 1/4

2 tanks Halh

2 tanks 3/4's

Then give it full throttle taking it easy.

I am listening to you so dont think im ntot, i would be here asking if i wasnt wanting to listen.

nah 10 tanks is just a waste, you don't need that much.

ps - you'll find most model shops give crap advice,you'll learn more here

Like id try to hack you anyway, it was samari that went off topic thinking he found some sort of secret out.

I finally got my car and ill be running it in tommorw, ill have my dad handy who back in day used to have nitro cars, helicopters and planes, he as very in to it, but dosent have the time, but he has some experience :)

I havent had a car or anything for years, is there still model air exibitions in....in..damn where was it again, i loved it where ever it was ;)

I remember the planes that dropped sweets!

Like id try to hack you anyway, it was samari that went off topic thinking he found some sort of secret out.

Not at all, I just think it is important that our members know there is a hacker on our boards.

havent had a car or anything for years, is there still model air exibitions in....in..damn where was it again, i loved it where ever it was

I remember the planes that dropped sweets!

Bigby possibly?

I live on the south coast, so around here was a few hours away, i think one was in Sanddown, dont remeber was only about 8 or 9.

And btw i dont hack forums for fun, im no script kiddie, and actually rarely do it, different kinda acking to what i do if i can be arsed, its harmless to others aswell, im mainly at that site as im part of the GFX team.