• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

need help think my clutch mite be stuck

rubberJonny89

Hi guys just got a new nitro car off a mate that never used it. Dont know what type it is yet as i still have to get the box etc from him but heres what i need help with:

I started to adjust the clutch thing for the gears it has two auto gears no reverse. It was changin far too early. Now when i try to stop the car at all it cuts out. I have tried the idle screw, lsn, hsn. So i think the clutch may be jammed but wanted to know what you guys thought before taking it apart.

I have to make sure all 4 wheels are off the ground before it will start and as soon as i stop the wheels turning it cuts out as if im forcing the engine to stop.

any help appreciated.

jonny

Could be that your clutch bell has not been shimmed right.

Will your fly wheel spin freely whilst the engine is not running?

yep i can move the car forward and back no problem when its off. Was tryin it again an the glow plug looks loose so im off to get an 8mm socket to tighten it. do u think that could be it.

Na m8 engine isnt turning over when i push it forward, clutch bell doesnt move. It only moves when i push the car back but engine still isnt turning over. No manual for it and dont know what car it is.

I have tried puttin the part i adjusted back. I was adjusting a part through one of the cogs (thinks it a type of clutch)connected to the driveshafts. It was the sorta slanted one not the one that goes straight down with a small hex key.

I tightend it up as the gears where changing too quickly

cheers for all the replys

I can hear i slight metal rubbing noise from clutch bell put piston isnt moving when i push the car back or forward. I got it off a mate for 60 and he only used it for 5mins. he paid 210 for it. Its cheap but i just wanted it to mess about with and for 60 i wasnt gonna let it go.

Aye theres a spring wrapped around the clutch shoes so youll need to take the exhaust and fuel tank off and probably the top plate on your chassis to get into the clutch bell. You may also have to take out the middle diff to get the clutch bell out.

I would say just take the engine out but then youd have to make sure you line it up correctly when you put it back on and if this is your first nitro car I wouldnt go messing with the mesh :D

Is there a lot of dusty gritty stuff around the gears? This normally indicates a broken clutch spring.

Damo

yep took clutch bell off and the spring fell into my had, 1 of the wee hook bits at the end is broke off. So off to get spring 2moro. Does the spring just wrap round the clutch shoes in the groove and then hook each end of the spring to each other.

cheers for the help

Yeah the spring hooks into itself, you can use a stanley blade to bend out a new hoop of the spring, in fact id bend out two loops to make it strong.

It wont make much difference to the cars running. If you want to get another spring then thats cool too :thumbsup:

Damo

Yeah the spring hooks into itself, you can use a stanley blade to bend out a new hoop of the spring, in fact id bend out two loops to make it strong.

It wont make much difference to the cars running. If you want to get another spring then thats cool too :thumbsup:

Damo

just went to my lhs to try and get 1 and the first thing he said was "did you buy it off me" when i said no he immediatley said well then i dont the part your looking for. So just done what you said and made a new loop and it works ok now but need to adjust the needles as creeps forward but if i hold still it wont cut out. So thanks all for helping me sort it and advice.

jonny

just went to my lhs to try and get 1 and the first thing he said was "did you buy it off me" when i said no he immediatley said well then i dont the part your looking for. So just done what you said and made a new loop and it works ok now but need to adjust the needles as creeps forward but if i hold still it wont cut out. So thanks all for helping me sort it and advice.

jonny

doesn't matter if you did or not, all clutch springs are the same shape, he is just tring to get more cash off you

took my ssk out the other day n the rear diff stopped working, took it apart this morning n fixed that n notice the clutch bell was a bit wobble took it of to investigate n the needle bearings were screwed (all fell in to my hand n the bearing housein was none existence oops) lol rofl that could of been worse

i dont have a clue what model my car is. all i know is its cheap. Just wanted to know can i get any tank or do i need a certain type. The one i broke had a primer and the was screwed in by 2 screws on the bottom. The tank had 3 screw holes but the one on the middle wasnt used.

fueltank.jpg

can any1 recommend a replacement fuel tank the outter two where used not the middle screw.