• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Any Bikers on Here?

ben_rc

Haha no <_<

:P

Seriously. Saturday Job?

Going to go for the Bigfoot, or if I can afford, Kona Scrap.

Oops, just realised, the Bigfoot, for a medium frame, is £549, not £399. What frame would I want? I'm only small, not sure how tall, bout 5ft maybe smaller....

as small as possible a 14inch would be fine

as small as possible a 14inch would be fine

Thanks

Right a quote from Kona's site. For the Scrap.

Frame tubing Kona Clump 7005 Aluminum

Rear Shock -

Fork Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 3 100mm

Braze-ons 1 bottle, rear disc mount

Headset TH w/Big Nut

Crankarms FSA Gravity Moto-X MegaExo

Chainrings RG/36/24

B/B FSA Gravity Moto-X MegaExo

Pedals Kona Jack****²

Chain Shimano IG-70

Freewheel Shimano CS-HG30 (11-32, 8spd)

F/D Shimano Alivio

R/D Shimano Alivio

Shifters Shimano Alivio

Handlebar FSA Gravity Maximus OS Riser

Stem FSA Gravity Maximus OS

Grips Cowan Signature

Brakes Hayes Hydraulic Sole V6

Brake Levers Hayes HFX

Front hub KK Disc

Rear hub Shimano M475 Disc

Spokes Stainless 14g

Tires Maxxis High Roller 26x2.35

Rims Alex DM-24

Saddle Kona DJ

Seatpost FSA FR-270 DBL

Seat clamp Kona QR

Color Bright Blue Matt

Weight -

The bit in red, does that only mean it has 8 gears?

I think my last bike was a 14" one, and that did me fine when I was that height, and I can still ride it fine now, and I think i'm like 5" 4' now.

14" it is then.

Hmmm, whats the difference between Dirt/Jump Bike, and downhill spec wise? Its the gears I'm most bothered about.

14" it is then.

Hmmm, whats the difference between Dirt/Jump Bike, and downhill spec wise? Its the gears I'm most bothered about.

what do you want to use the bike for? and theres not much difference if its a hartail your talking about the downhill will probably have more travel on the forks dirt jump tend 2 be around 110mm to 130mm down hil start at around 130mm travel as for gears most bikes now tend to use either 18 21 speed but 18 is plenty you wont use half of em

I would say a small frame is good for y...if downhill, jumping is your thing a small frame you can throw around is the thing...I used to run a 16 inch frame for racing (downhill) and I'm 5'10

Are you def after an MTB. Only reason I ask is they have a DK cruiser on there reduced from £250 to £150....ok it is single speed, but you can ride round with them and they are the nuts for the trails/bmx track.

Edited by losidan

I want to use the bike for some pretty hard woodland stuff, road use (paper round) not necessarily DH.

And ye, smaller frame, is better to chuck around.

@ Tatey, my mate has a Norco wolverine, 16 speed, with 120MM forks, I like it alot. But I want better than him obviously, so I thought the bigfoot would be great. Its just it says....well it doesn't. ??? Lol, thought it did. Oh its the scrap that says...

I defo want MTB, and would prefer a hardtail, although if a full-suspension bike, at good price was there, then I may sway to that...

Whats the technical term for "Gears"?

I want to use the bike for some pretty hard woodland stuff, road use (paper round) not necessarily DH.

And ye, smaller frame, is better to chuck around.

@ Tatey, my mate has a Norco wolverine, 16 speed, with 120MM forks, I like it alot. But I want better than him obviously, so I thought the bigfoot would be great. Its just it says....well it doesn't. ??? Lol, thought it did. Oh its the scrap that says...

I defo want MTB, and would prefer a hardtail, although if a full-suspension bike, at good price was there, then I may sway to that...

Whats the technical term for "Gears"?

full suspension arnt tht good for road use youd be better off with a hard tail as for techical term there isnt one untill you start talking about the different parts like the mech and cassete and stuff

full suspension arnt tht good for road use youd be better off with a hard tail as for techical term there isnt one untill you start talking about the different parts like the mech and cassete and stuff

Ye thought just that. So a hardtail it is.

And the cassette and that are all new terms to me, but will hopefully learn them eventually. :)

Ye thought just that. So a hardtail it is.

And the cassette and that are all new terms to me, but will hopefully learn them eventually. :)

yeah you will ive been riding most of ma life nd can strip n rebuild a bike in about half an hour and build a wheel in an hour lols

The norc bigfoot is more of a shore bike. You can abuse it on some decent downhill but it has the gears for some more cross country stuff too.

Youll find the bigfoot great for dossing about on, wheelying and nipping down the town but youll know it can accept a fair amount of abuse if you fancy taking it down the trails too.

Damo

The norc bigfoot is more of a shore bike. You can abuse it on some decent downhill but it has the gears for some more cross country stuff too.

Youll find the bigfoot great for dossing about on, wheelying and nipping down the town but youll know it can accept a fair amount of abuse if you fancy taking it down the trails too.

Damo

yep, I think the bigfoot is the one I'm going to go for.

Thanks for info Damo :good:

in the way of pedals, DMR V8s have always been the benchmark, ive always used them on my DMR bike although my friend has some pedals with 1.2 cm pins :D

No way would you be able to afford a proper downhill bike and no way could you take a hardtail proper downhilling.

Why are you so worried about the gears, 8 is more then enough for general riding and if your doing jumps you dont need any at all. Same with brakes I ride trails with one v-brake at the back (really want to get a HS33 instead though)

Why not buy my flow bike, take the brakes off and ride it bmx style :whistling:

Edited by Hpi_matrix_stock

Why not buy my flow bike, take the brakes off and ride it bmx style :whistling:

Because its not practical for me.

I have rode a Norco Atomik DH Bike, and I hated the gears. Don't know why, but just didn't. Would not be good, for "general riding" as I'd end up hating the bike, and sticking with my other bike.

no way could you take a hardtail proper downhilling.

Hence why I said, messing about with mates, not full on DH, god, I'd never survive lol.

Edited by ben_rc

i think your crazy buying a good bike to do a paper round my mate got his specalized hardrock last year he does a paper round every day on it and it looks crap now gears dont work brakes near enough dead the bike is tired

i ride my bike for fun and thats it i have another bike for other stuff and my bike is perfect nick still

a good bike wont break from doing a paper round though.

i have a Saracen mantra (i don't really ride it anymore though) and i used it for a paper round for over year and Ive used it for downhill, street ,dirt-jumping etc. and that's still fine now. its about 3-4 years old aswell.

Yes, I can't really see how a paper round would damage a bike, if I take care of it, can't see the problems....

I have give up the idea about the bigfoot, as the only place in stock, is too big. So I'm still on the lookout for a good bike.

Not Downhill