• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brushless

Nick

Has anybody had any experience with the mtroniks brushless system? seems awfully cheap compared to other systems, and even if it doesn't match the performace of other systems, it may still be worth it for maintanence free running?

Novak - I've used it, more like a 14t. Tons of torque though, great for buggies etc.

Mtroniks - I've got one on the way, going to be used in my touring car and Big 6. I'll let you know how it goes. (BTW, its £89 for the ESC and £39 for the motor, or £99 special introductory combo offer).

Its the same sort of power as a brushed 12t. There is a clear pic in this month's RRCI magazine.

Thats all that I know for now. I need to get to my LHS to see if its arrived. :)

The motor/ESC combo for the price of £100 won't be forever, its only an introductory offer.

In about a month or so, it'll be £89 for the ESC and £39 for the motor.

I don't understand KV ratings.

A brushless Feiago 9L is about 2500KV on 14 cells it is alot faster than an 8L with about 3000KV on 14 cells. So I don't think KV is all to do with it, but the amps it draws too...

The general opinion of the supersport 5800 motors is that they perform more like a 4200kv motor than a 5800kv motor.

The supersport is a good system with as previously mentioned bundles of low end torque which is where the purple patch power band seems to be for novaks sensored systems but compared to sensorless systems the novak lacks the power in the top 25% of its rpm range.

The first system that I got was a hacker brushless system about 2 years ago which included the then new c40 8s motor and a master car sport controller I was always disappointed with the low end torq of this system as it seemed that the powerband didnt really even start until the car was travelling about 5mph. Then all of a sudden out of nowhere the power to your wheels seemly doubled making accelerating through corners interesting to say the least. Its reliability had to be commended though with not one hitch despite being run during the summer in what I used to call the motor cooker TB01. The one thing the hacker controllers seem to do well with there 54 fets is brake the brakes on this system were unbelievable 4 wheel lockups were possible even with decent tires.

My second system was a Novak supersport I bought off eBay for just over £100 about 9 months ago. When I first tried this system I was as happy as Larry with the amount of torque it could produce at the bottom end. The only vice with the Novak’s is that because they use only 6 fets you really need to keep them cool to maintain the punch.

Because of this I decided to put a 40mm fan I had lying around with its own power supply made out of some aaa's. With this fan strapped on the esc never felt warm to touch even when I used some ridiculous gear ratios like 6:1 compared to novaks recommended 7.3:1.

The biggest vice I had with the novak system was that its breaks were never as good as that of the hacker systems with the car never feeling like it was going to lock up the wheels.

About 3 months ago I bought a 2nd generation hacker master-b car comp controller which i used in place of the old master car sport.

When I first tried the controller with the C40 8s I was in awe of the amount of power this controller could produce at the low end in comparison to the old hacker controller the performance of the hacker system with the new controller is like a brand new 10turn brushed obviously it still has cogging if you play with the throttle whilst crawling but if you jam the throttle there is no cogging just a lot of wheelspinnng.

Also you have many options with sensorless I am interested in getting a plettenburg shadow or maybe a lehner basic 5300.

Although I am more than happy with the power generated by the new hacker controller I think it’s not as smooth as I would like for racing. The best sensorless controller out at the moment for drivability is the schulze uforce which is said to be very smooth and easy to control.

I am very interested in the new mtroniks brushless controllers but I think the sport version wont be able the motors I would like to get in the future so I will wait and see as I have been told that there is a pro version of there controller in the works.

I really should shoot some videos and put them online of some of these brushless systems in action.