• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Confused about balance port on Overlander VSRmini charger (sorry - newbie questions)

Fremen

Hello friends,

I've been running a nimh battery in my Hi-Rock that came with it for a few months and now am feeling ready to try my lipo in it.

I've got a Overlander VSRmini charger and a Core-RC Lipo, and have read the included leaflets trying to understand what I need to do, but have got really confused and would very much appreciate some advice. I haven't connected the lipo yet as I think I'm missing a cable for my charger or possibly I've bought the wrong battery (or something else!)

I'm not used to batteries that have more than 1 group of wires coming out of them.  The main cable I can identify and looks like it would connect up to the charger - but the other cable bunch on the battery with the white connector - I really don't know what this is.   Have probably read too much too soon but I think I might be a balance cable - but this isnt the same size as the balance port on the charger. 

The manual says "When charging Lithium batteries, always ensure that the balance connector is connected FIRST
in the sequence. "

Did I buy the wrong battery or do I just need an appropriate balance cable adaptor to go from my battery to the charger?

Or is the balance mode for if you have more than 1 battery pack and want to charge more than 1 battery at once?

I have read the "LiPo, the big guide thread" but sorry my head is spinning and I'm still confused.   

Please can a kind peep hold my hand and let me know what I should do?

Thanks!

IMG_5700.JPG

IMG_5699.JPG

IMG_5698.JPG

You don’t need any additional leads. Easier to watch a video than to explain. You should have a basic understanding after reading the manual anyway, so to iron out any further questions try this. It’s the first example I found, there are probably others:

• Like 1

Balance mode should always be used to charge your battery.

when not in use, then charge with ‘storage mode’ selected. This will charge your battery to a voltage that is safe until you next use. Then balance charge when you want to use again.

• Like 1

Many thanks Ant, that's solved it.  Your advice and that video really helped me.

I tried out connecting the balance cable as per the video and it fits. I'll turn it on in the morning and get it charging.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fremen said:

Many thanks Ant, that's solved it.  Your advice and that video really helped me.

I tried out connecting the balance cable as per the video and it fits. I'll turn it on in the morning and get it charging.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it

You’re welcome. I thought the same when I first started out. Seems a lot to do and get right, but after a few cycles you’ll find it’s fairly simple to use.

It’s easier to plug balance leads into an extension cable when using the charger, but it’s not essential:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/logic-rc-2s-xh-balance-extension-lead-200mm-370634

Hope it all goes well tomorrow 👍🏻

Edited by Ant.p