• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which r/c should I buy

Baggy1974

Hi to all,I'm new on here and need a little help!

I'm thinking of buying a 1/8th r/c nitro buggy off road to go club racing,

I have a electric 1/8th  Hpi trophy buggy flux which I use for bashing around and a 1/10th old Schumacher cat2000 which i haven't used in years.

Anyone out there can give me ideas? I know there is a few competition r/c brands out there but as I will be new to nitro I don't think I'll need to get  something like a pro racer would use or should I?

Thank you

Welcome!

I'd recommend heading down to the club and seeing what the majority are running - it'll most likely be the most reliable and best supported.

It's also very much budget dependant - If you're just getting started then i'd buy a second hand chassis as a new one will be upwards of £600 before engine and electrics. You'd have to factor in replacing any worn parts on the second had one though.

If it has to be new, then i'd be tempted by one of these: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/kyosho-inferno-mp9-tki4-v2-18-rc-nitro-readyset-wke21sp-engine-1332004

Slap a set of proper race tyres on it and you can't do much better if starting out!

Hi J.K, thanks for the advice.

I  have been on the clubs Facebook and they seem to run WRC, HB, Mugen and Tekno etc but will go and have a look and chat with them.

I did look at the Kyosho inferno which seems nice and has good reviews also its ready to go but like you say second hand might be worth a look. Thanks again

Is it Nitro only?  Or is there an electric class as well?

Nitros are cool but are noisy and messy and you will need to learn some engine tuning knowledge.  depending on the engine / carb it will have 1 or 2 needles to tune the engine but I suppose the local track guys would help you out tuning it.

Have you checked Ebay? Used Nitros seem to sell cheap on there 

OH and DO NOT bash a Vintage CAT2000... I have seen these sell for £300 - £600 depending on the condition.