• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ke21sp engine service

Florian

I use a few drops of after run oil after use, park the piston at the bottom its stroke before putting it away .... and clean the muck off the outside. Run it tuned properly, and clean the airfilter regularly and oil it as per the makers spec.

Then as long as it's starting Ok and holding a tune.... my philosophy is ... if it ain't broke......don't fix it.

Pulling it apart to 'have a look' when its running sweetly isn't going to tell you anything other than its all fine, and nothing in there is serviceable. This is a basic RTR motor if I remember right, not a high end race engine.

Use it and enjoy it. Just take the basic steps to keep the engine happy, prevent corrosion internally ( nitro fuel will evaporate off if the motor is left for longer periods, and damp storage can lead to corrosion. After run oil helps here. Plus the trick of parking the piston at the bottom. Nitro motors have a bore that narrows towards top dead centre to create compression with no piston ring. It means it is tight at the top, and looser at the bottom ( aren't we all.... ) So you can end up with a piston stuck at TDC gummed up by combustion residue. Park the piston at the bottom. I put a dab of paint on the flywheel to act as a mark.

Also....make sure you blow any debris out from the top of the cooling head before you take out the glowplug. You really don;t want dirt and grit falling in there.

I get pretty good life out of my engines, and only pull them apart if there is a need to. Usually as a result of poor running or starting, or compression fading away. Then you are looking at replacing piston/liner/rod and probably replacing the crank bearings while it's apart. If the cost of the parts is more than a new motor ( can be.... ) then it might be new engine time. But thats not gonna happen for quite a while.