• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Can anyone identify this? ASAP

LordRodders

2 minutes ago, Guns said:

You have the old style slipper clutch, with pegs as opposed to pads. It looks like you have the old style gearbox inside the new casing

Here is it stripped, I’ve laid it out in order of how they go back on ... 

0BD7B73C-30BD-4F66-A39D-6D3C91F46BEA.jpeg

5 minutes ago, LordRodders said:

It ran okay for about 20 mins, I’ll take it apart give me 5 minutes mate 👍

You should have (I think, its been a while) a

A  piece of metal that slides onto the shaft

A  plate

A spur gear with pegs 

A plate

A piece of metal

A Spring

A Nut

In that order

Edited by Guns

2 minutes ago, turok007 said:

from that pic the black bit should be first then silver

This* didnt make that clearin my second reply. I think your issue is youre not fully tightening the nut thats all

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Guns said:

This* didnt make that clearin my second reply. I think your issue is youre not fully tightening the nut thats all

I tightened it all the way and done a full turn counter clock wise (Traxxas recommended) and now seems perfect again! 
didn’t realise they can just come loose, is it possible to change the pinon and spur to 28 / 83 ? 

5 minutes ago, LordRodders said:

I tightened it all the way and done a full turn counter clock wise (Traxxas recommended) and now seems perfect again! 
didn’t realise they can just come loose, is it possible to change the pinon and spur to 28 / 83 ? 

if you can find a older spur  as if i remember correct the new type spur uses a pin setup on the shaft.  also a different clutch system.

11 minutes ago, LordRodders said:

Depends on your motor/esc. Id wack a cheap brushless in it, run on 2s.  Theyre epic trucks, and you got it for a great price, its worth investing a little in it. Id love to find one for reasonable money. 

I used to add  a second lock nut to mine

Edited by Guns

11 minutes ago, turok007 said:

Yup the newer one wont fit unless they did a adapter.   

Ah right, any ideas where to get the gearing ? Just wanting to see if it makes much difference with the hearing I’ve been told to get ( 28/83) before I put a cheap brushless setup in it 

8 minutes ago, LordRodders said:

Ah right, any ideas where to get the gearing ? Just wanting to see if it makes much difference with the hearing I’ve been told to get ( 28/83) before I put a cheap brushless setup in it 

Just had a quick look on ebay but didn't see any older spurs.   You really need to think what you want from it  as adding more power/speed  will mean bearings inner gears drive shafts  RPM arms?    You really need to take everything apart to see what your dealing with before your spending spree starts. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, turok007 said:

Just had a quick look on ebay but didn't see any older spurs.   You really need to think what you want from it  as adding more power/speed  will mean bearings inner gears drive shafts  RPM arms?    You really need to take everything apart to see what your dealing with before your spending spree starts. 

Ah seems like it’s going to be difficult to get hold of them then, I’m only wanting to spend maybe £50/£60 on it nothing special as I got this pretty cheap.

maybe just the pinion and spur and see how it goes but can’t seem to find them lol 

1 minute ago, LordRodders said:

Could I not add a new input shaft and slipper clutch and run modern spur ? 

If you have all metal gears then it's  one way you could go. (you could run without metal gears  but might not last long at higher speeds)

17 minutes ago, LordRodders said:

Think I’m just going to buy a full new gearbox from the new ones as they are all metal gears I’m sure ? 

VXL one should be all metal.

14 minutes ago, LordRodders said:

So fixed it other day, took it out today and done it again, tightened the nut up again but still no drive, any ideas ? 

also I’ve noticed it has a HPI Firebolt 15t motor in it, are these stock or will this be causing my issues ? 

Cannot see video  but if you put power on while holding the car still on the ground does the shaft still spin/the one with the nut on it

The firebolt is a HPI Motor so not stock. 

Easy for me to say, but Id invest in it, as although its old, its still so similar to the £300 plus model. 

It used to be a case of buying a VXL gearbox off a breakers, but might cost more now

24 minutes ago, turok007 said:

Cannot see video  but if you put power on while holding the car still on the ground does the shaft still spin/the one with the nut on it

Yes motor and that one with nut on both spin but car does not want to move. 

16 minutes ago, Guns said:

The firebolt is a HPI Motor so not stock. 

Easy for me to say, but Id invest in it, as although its old, its still so similar to the £300 plus model. 

It used to be a case of buying a VXL gearbox off a breakers, but might cost more now

Is the firebolt a decent motor ? 

min willing to invest in it but not fortunes lol, it’s growing on me daily I must say lol! 
defentily needs a new gearbox like, is the only option a VXL one or are they others I can go with? 
also do you know of any breakers? 

thanks 

2 hours ago, LordRodders said:

Is the firebolt a decent motor ? 

min willing to invest in it but not fortunes lol, it’s growing on me daily I must say lol! 
defentily needs a new gearbox like, is the only option a VXL one or are they others I can go with? 
also do you know of any breakers? 

thanks 

Its just a budget brushed motor. Bottom of the line really. 

I think Proline make a gearbox but its probabaly more than the VXL one. Jennys used to be the best breakers but theres always import charges now

3 hours ago, Guns said:
27 minutes ago, Guns said:

Its just a budget brushed motor. Bottom of the line really. 

I think Proline make a gearbox but its probabaly more than the VXL one. Jennys used to be the best breakers but theres always import charges now

ah right okay, I’ve open the gear box and all seems well, the differential can spin while at hold the output shaft, this normal?