• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best complete RTR buggy setup for around £200

54 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

Thanks a lot (again) for taking the time to help, you have been such a great source of knowledge for a newbie like me!

:cheers:

You will still receive a fully functioning car tomorrow.

Have some fun with it  and when all things arrived take it apart and do the changes.

1 hour ago, Scottyb said:

They're all the same size if the description's anything to go by on amazon, even the 8000mah is only 1mm longer but don't need one that high 😄 I think i'm sorted now i'll leave you in peace for a bit. Won't be getting some bits until Tuesday though which sucks but atleast i can fiddle with it in the meantime the car should be here tomorrow hopefully.

Thanks a lot (again) for taking the time to help, you have been such a great source of knowledge for a newbie like me!

Definitely not all the same size. You won’t get anything thicker than 27mm into the carnage chassis without modifications. Anything over 5400 2s or 4500 3s generally will be too large. This will vary depending on which brand you choose. Also, I would strongly recommend getting a ‘bashing’ lipo with a hard case.

7 hours ago, Scottyb said:

Yes, but you would need two if charging 2 batteries. A slightly cheaper alternative option, although only able to charge a single battery but no adapter required:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=425241

whatever you decide, I would recommend getting a balance charge extension cable and a lipo fire/explosion proof bag for when charging and storing lipo batteries 

8 hours ago, Scottyb said:

I wouldn't want to say anything wrong.

I think it is.

But then I cannot guarantee.

I bought my charger in a local shop last year. And the shop made me an adapter. Freshly soldered.

I find it an advantage, that my adapter is with a cable. 

56 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

whatever you decide, I would recommend getting a balance charge extension cable and a lipo fire/explosion proof bag for when charging and storing lipo batteries 

@Scottyb: This is very important.

There is quite enough information about Lipos and their explosive nature if handled wrong, here in this forum.

One member recently had a fire in his house because of that.

Please take care of this.

For myself, I am always in the same room where the batteries are charging.

Either in my office or in my living area.

And always with a fire extinguisher in reach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jens said:

This one also comes with a XT60 output.

Is an adapter included?

Yes, has deans connection. If you scroll right through the images, you’ll see. I only suggested, as I have this charger. I like that the one you have can charge 2 at the same time though.

Cheers guys , I've bought a fire safe bag already and they'll be getting charged on my window sill so if they do start smokin they can go straight out the window, decided to just buy the skyrc looks really good for the money after looking at some others, just waiting for the postie now, I think Ive got everything I need 

Is it worth getting extended deans to xt60 connector aswell as the balance charge cable? or would it make it a bit dodgy charging with cable extensions?

I know all about lipo fires lol, guy across the estate from me had a nice rc boat collection until he overcharged one of his batteries and set his shed on fire, he couldn't put it out and turned the shed and everything in it to ash, done about £10k's worth of damage with all the stuff he had in there! 

Edited by Scottyb

26 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

Is it worth getting extended deans to xt60 connector aswell as the balance charge cable? or would it make it a bit dodgy charging with cable extensions?

I know all about lipo fires lol, guy across the estate from me had a nice rc boat collection until he overcharged one of his batteries and set his shed on fire, he couldn't put it out and turned the shed and everything in it to ash, done about £10k's worth of damage with all the stuff he had in there! 

Just the balance cable. For whatever reason, chargers come with a lead that connects to the deans (or whichever you have) but not a balance lead. 

Sorted now i think everything's been ordered 😄  knowing my luck i've forgot something, Thanks a lot for helping guys.

Was just sitting here thinking about when i was younger and going into a local hobby shop and getting all the help/parts and advice i needed, there used to be about 10 different shops within a 20 mile radius of where i lived, I was looking to see if there were any still about before i bought this lot and there's not a single one that sells cars (apart from Mardave) within a 40 mile radius!!!!!

At least there's good people on here willing to help out i'm so glad i found this forum or i would have probably been so lost and gave up lol!

48 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

Sorted now i think everything's been ordered 😄  knowing my luck i've forgot something, Thanks a lot for helping guys.

Was just sitting here thinking about when i was younger and going into a local hobby shop and getting all the help/parts and advice i needed, there used to be about 10 different shops within a 20 mile radius of where i lived, I was looking to see if there were any still about before i bought this lot and there's not a single one that sells cars (apart from Mardave) within a 40 mile radius!!!!!

At least there's good people on here willing to help out i'm so glad i found this forum or i would have probably been so lost and gave up lol!

It’s a shame. There are model shops about 20 miles from me, but they don’t stock or get in specific parts/upgrades I need. Online seems to be the way to go.
Part of the experience used to be going to see what was available in the shops. Not quite the same now. 
On the plus side, this forum has been a god send for me. Learnt just about all I know on here. 

It's not coming until Tuesday now, then probably a parcel everyday this week, a bit annoyed as i paid for next day and the weathers been beaut today lol. I saw he had a spur and pinion set on ebay (last one) so had to buy it, i think this is right one isn't it? i did check with @Jensoriginal post and as far as i can see it's the same, just making sure    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FTX-Carnage-Bugsta-32DP-Hard-Steel-Spur-kit/264098799917

2 hours ago, Scottyb said:

It's not coming until Tuesday now, then probably a parcel everyday this week, a bit annoyed as i paid for next day and the weathers been beaut today lol. I saw he had a spur and pinion set on ebay (last one) so had to buy it, i think this is right one isn't it? i did check with @Jensoriginal post and as far as i can see it's the same, just making sure    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FTX-Carnage-Bugsta-32DP-Hard-Steel-Spur-kit/264098799917

That’s the set I have, and it works a treat. Shame the same can’t be said for the diffs. I’ve busted the front diff twice in 3 batteries (3s). I’d recommend you stick to 2s lipo to help prolong the life of the drivetrain.

Cheers mate. I won't be going 3s with it at all tbf, i'll be keeping my eye out for a Hyper VS roller and i'll probably go 4s with that, if the hobbywing esc can handle a 2200 motor

Edited by Scottyb
  • Like 1

Angry day today, was fully expecting the car to turn up this morning and it's not even getting posted until the 19th. Had to cancel it that's just rediculous! So now i'm sat here with a brushless conversion and nothing to use it in 😡😄
Is the Bugsta 100% the same car coz i might just get that from timetunnelmodels instead as i prefer the shell?

Edited by Scottyb

5 hours ago, Scottyb said:

Angry day today, was fully expecting the car to turn up this morning and it's not even getting posted until the 19th. Had to cancel it that's just rediculous! So now i'm sat here with a brushless conversion and nothing to use it in 😡😄
Is the Bugsta 100% the same car coz i might just get that from timetunnelmodels instead as i prefer the shell?

That's a shame.

The Bugsta I originally bought is slightly different to the Carnage 2.0.

Carnage 2.0 came out later I think and it has some improvements with the problem of stones getting into the gear mesh.

But then, it is possible that the Bugsta has now the same improvements.

Difference that I know of:

The bottom plate has some extra plastic near the rear diff.

A gap in the motor holder is closed now.

Both were meant to prevent stones coming in and ruining the spur.

But then the hardened steel pinion/spur would eat the stones. :good:

On 04/04/2021 at 17:46, Scottyb said:

Perfectly the right one. 👍

Thanks, ordered a Bugsta instead, with any luck should be here Friday now. I'm not that bothered if it has the "older" style chassis on it as i'll end up getting a ally one anyway a bit later and already thinking of ways to close up the spur n pinion part just in case.

12 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

2 minutes into it's maiden voyage on grass, it gets traction, flips over and shatters the rear suspension tower, amazing

You lasted almost as long as ours did. We had a pretty epic head on that destroyed both chassis and all sorts of front end damage to each carnage.

ive managed to snap parts just dropping off a curb. They are fragile, but the parts are dead cheap and the stronger upgraded parts aren’t badly priced. 
as a general rule, I try to order 2 of any part I need to replace, as it’s likely to happen again.

Edited by Ant.p

My racing gang have Outlaw, Carnage and Bugsta - they’re all fragile in their own way and also bonkers tough in other ways. 

The Achilles heel of the Bugsta seems to be the massive tyres, almost too much traction and a lot of mass at the end of the wishbone - prepare to get very handy at changing front suspension holders...

Edited by walkbythesea

Just getting alloy ones at least i can bend em back, should have ordered them with the car but didn't realise just how crap the towers actually were, i've got bags for life in the cupboard that are thicker

Tbf the speed of it took me a bit by surprise, had a quick go on the front before it started raining and it was just wheelies galore lol, I think i'll go to a very big field tomorrow to get the hang of it, have just zip clipped it together for now but should hold up as i won't be doing any jumping

Edited by Scottyb