• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI WR8 vs Losi LMT

Cuiken

So, two cars that really couldn't be much more different from one another. However, if I were to buy another car this summer it would be one of the two.

My two current favourite cars are my Redcat Wendigo:

gjNoQKR.png

and my recently completed Tamiya XV01:

F5KhBl3.png

I've sort of converted my Wendigo into a mini monster truck with those tyres and some heavy duty sway bars and the Lancia is just a delight to drive out of the box (handling is increbible).

So, next level on the Wendigo would be the LMT and similarly a more 'vicious' rally car would be the WR8.

The LMT is more expensve out of the box by ~£100 which is probably okay for such a huge truck but it also seems to want quite a few upgraded parts to ensure durability (axles for starters). Meanwhile, the HP WR8 would want the shell reinforced but is pretty much good to go after that. Hard to say which would be most 'fun' with the usual online reviews raving about both.

Anyway, there's clearly no right answer on this but curious what other people might go for.

Conversely, I love the look of the LMT and am not 100% keen on the look of the WR8.

Agree on the breakages though. A friend has the WR8 and has utterly thrashed it with minimal issues. Parts are also cheap and readily available if/when things do go wrong. Only excpetion seems to be the fact that the body shell is hard to come by and so comedically expensive. Hopefully some shoogoo/tape reinforcement would help with that.....

There to far apart to compare the LMT is new to the market and there’s already been an update on the axle casings so that should no longer be an issue. Regarding parts supply new models tend to be a little slow out the gate for a while so nothing out of the norm there. HPI are just getting back on there feet but for how long who knows. Wr8 bodies are ridiculously expensive so trash one and your wallet will be having a fit.

It really all boils down to what your be doing with your new purchase you can’t backflip a wr8 but then again you can’t wiz round a car park sideways with the LMT 

If you want speed get the WR8 if you want a bit of mental fun get the LMT 

38 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

There to far apart to compare the LMT is new to the market and there’s already been an update on the axle casings so that should no longer be an issue. Regarding parts supply new models tend to be a little slow out the gate for a while so nothing out of the norm there. HPI are just getting back on there feet but for how long who knows. Wr8 bodies are ridiculously expensive so trash one and your wallet will be having a fit.

It really all boils down to what your be doing with your new purchase you can’t backflip a wr8 but then again you can’t wiz round a car park sideways with the LMT 

If you want speed get the WR8 if you want a bit of mental fun get the LMT 

And therein lies the ridiculousness of my query, the two cars are so totally different it's probably daft to try to compare them. That said, I'm trying 🙂

I guess in terms of usability, the WR8 would be fine on the bit of street outside my house whereas I'd want a bit more space to use the LMT? Conversely, the LMT would work on grass while the WR8 needs a paved/pathed surface of some sort.

I actually tried a mate's WR8 at the weekend. It was very compelling. Only ran 2S but the acceleration and control was incredible. He is on his second bodyshell but has shoogooed it this time and it's holding up pretty well. Otherwise, it's held up to a year of bashing with only one cheap breakage (full speed into a curb meant needing a new C hub).

I've followed the LMT chat on this forum and there are a lot of new parts being discussed/fitted. The treal axles are half the price of the truck. Has anyone kept theirs stock and seen how well it holds up? Also, where are you running them?

Edited by Cuiken

2 hours ago, Cuiken said:

And therein lies the ridiculousness of my query, the two cars are so totally different it's probably daft to try to compare them. That said, I'm trying 🙂

I guess in terms of usability, the WR8 would be fine on the bit of street outside my house whereas I'd want a bit more space to use the LMT? Conversely, the LMT would work on grass while the WR8 needs a paved/pathed surface of some sort.

I actually tried a mate's WR8 at the weekend. It was very compelling. Only ran 2S but the acceleration and control was incredible. He is on his second bodyshell but has shoogooed it this time and it's holding up pretty well. Otherwise, it's held up to a year of bashing with only one cheap breakage (full speed into a curb meant needing a new C hub).

I've followed the LMT chat on this forum and there are a lot of new parts being discussed/fitted. The treal axles are half the price of the truck. Has anyone kept theirs stock and seen how well it holds up? Also, where are you running them?

Mines stock, takes a beating so far I have modified the stock axles though. 

You don’t need the Treal axles it’s more a case of want 😂

I run mine anywhere park, road, garden it doesn't need much room same as the real things 👍 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, that’s pretty helpful. Maybe I’ll just leave it to fate. See which car is actually in stock when I’ve saved up enough cash.

The LMT does look ridiculously good fun.

Not sure if you can comment but I already have a 6S Kraton.  Scale and terrain wise I guess they’d be similar. Realistically, is there room in a collection for both?

Well, I went for option three instead.

Bought a used Arrma Senton with a view to lowering it slightly and creating a new 'rally sct' segment. Mark my words, this time next year it will be huge.....

Alternatively, I'll just send it off jumps as it is 🙂

Eirther way, new toy. Happy days.

On 18/03/2021 at 11:55, Cuiken said:

Looks like a missed key fact, the WR8 is discontinued.....

Seems a shame. It's a nice car without much competition.

I was looking at the wr8 too! It looks so cool and I don’t think there is a similarly looking car. I do not understand why it is discontinued. Does anyone know if they will still make spares for them?