• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Wltoys 144001

Alty94

Hi guys I'm new to all this I recently brought a wltoys 144001 after about 3 batteries through it my motor is destroying its self ! I'm thinking of doing a brushless conversion im not wanting insane speed around 40 to 50mph is fine with the option to stick 3s in at some point, dont want to spend over 100 either if I can help it ! So any advice would be great ! In the meantime if anyone has a wltoys 550 motor with mount from there change I would love to buy it to use it abit before I do the upgrade! Cheers lads.

• Like 1

Welcome, 

Have a read of this... 

for general bashing around I'd go for... 

Motor -https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0HslZH (3900 to  4500kv would be idea)

ESC- https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-quicrun-10bl120-sensored/rc-car-products/425021 (it's not waterproof, avoid the cheap Chinese ones they are 💩)

Servo-  https://a.aliexpress.com/_mL11jX1 (go for a 144001 25t metal servo horn, I'd also suggest the metal steering assembly)

Controller - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402210939580

Hope that helps 

Edited by Alex97
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alty94 said:

Cheers mate I just need ideas really so many things to choose from ! 

The above is a good combo, you'll need to solder the ESC up but that isn't a big job or ask modelsport to do it for you. 

Currently ETA from China is about 2-3 weeks

4 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

The above is a good combo, you'll need to solder the ESC up but that isn't a big job or ask modelsport to do it for you. 

Currently ETA from China is about 2-3 weeks

Arnt the esc and motor combos any good of bangood or alliexpress ? 

On 08/02/2021 at 19:09, Alex97 said:

Nope, motors are alright but ESCs are rubbish. 

Do you have metrics to back up this claim? Or is it based on hearsay?

E.g. is this claim based on the MOSFETs being inadequate, a certain component not being able to handle large amounts of current, an insurmountable amount of evidence? Are you able to say why the motors okay but the ESCs are rubbish? 

I'm trying to understand what's so bad about them? Surpass Hobby make so many motors, I'd like to think they are able to make an ESC that doesn't go kaboom.

I personally run one of their ESCs on 6s and this is not the first time I've seen this sort of comment and now wonder if I'm missing something? 

3 minutes ago, Bert_w164 said:

Do you have metrics to back up this claim? Or is it based on hearsay?

E.g. is this claim based on the MOSFETs being inadequate, a certain component not being able to handle large amounts of current, an insurmountable amount of evidence? Are you able to say why the motors okay but the ESCs are rubbish? 

I'm trying to understand what's so bad about them? Surpass Hobby make so many motors, I'd like to think they are able to make an ESC that doesn't go kaboom.

I personally run one of their ESCs on 6s and this is not the first time I've seen this sort of comment and now wonder if I'm missing something? 

I personally haven't used them however I've never seen a good word said about them. Many say they cog at low speeds and are a bit glitchy but most just fail. 

Shame as they are priced well. But when people ask if they are good based on what I've seen they are 💩

1 minute ago, Alex97 said:

I personally haven't used them however I've never seen a good word said about them. Many say they cog at low speeds and are a bit glitchy but most just fail. 

Shame as they are priced well. But when people ask if they are good based on what I've seen they are 💩

Thanks.