• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Absima Sherpa Wheel Upgrade

Dnym

hi guys relatively new to rc cars..iv recently bought the Absima Sherpa..I'm wondering about up sizing the wheels.i think originals are 108/110mm  so what is the next size up and does anyone know what the type of fitting i need to look for for the sherpa. its hexagonal but are they all same size etc. and will the arches take next size up..hope this makes sense. thanks a million

• Like 1

Okay here we go, lengthy post inbound. 

Welcome to rc! Youre going to have lots of fun. If you want larger overall tyre diameter, you have many options. The type of wheels that the sherpa comes with are called "beadlocks" which means you can undo the bolts on the wheels and take the tyres off without the need to glue or unglue them.  This makes tyre changes easy, if not a little bit time consuming. The wheel diameters for scale/crawler style rc cars tend to follow three main sizes; 2.2 inch, 1.9 inch, and 1.55 inch. Your sherpa has 1.9 inch wheels, so you will need to buy 1.9 inch tyres for them to fit correctly. If you want to change the size of the rim itself, then you can move up or down to either of the other two sizes. 1.9 looks right on that rig in my opinion. So lets look at tyres now.  To clarify, the "1.9 inches" is the internal diameter of the tyre, and the external diameter of the rim. 

You can buy branded or unbranded tyres. Unbranded tyres are great for budget users, as they are super super cheap. I picked up 6x 1.9 tyres from ebay for £30 recently but 4x 1.9 tyres can be had for around £20 in various different styles and sizes; these are usually copies of branded tyres. If you wanted to buy branded, you would get a nicer product that is for sure but again in my opinion, im not sure if the price increase makes them worth it.

Youll need to figure out if you just want them to be taller overall, wider, or have a deeper tread pattern. What is it that you are trying to achieve by changing the tyres? do you want more grip? better ground clearance? or just a different look. These answers affect your options here. 

Lastly, hexes. Your sherpa comes with 12mm hexes or hex adapters as they are called. Those metal components that drive the wheels. Usually the wheels for these crawlers are 12mm hex, its a sort of standard fitting for crawlers and scalers. For some brands of wheels you need to have a different adaptor which is called "SLW" style but we wont worry about that here. Again new wheels can be bought branded or unbranded depending on your requirements and preference. 

TL:DR; You dont need to change your trucks wheels to change the tyres, but you can if thats what you want to do. Theres a huge variety of options here, its easy to get swamped. If its easier you can dm me and ill explain a little bit further :)

Hope this helps, NB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi thanks for the brilliamt reply..yes i see now..basically i dont particularly have any preference regarding performance..and i actually like the original sherpa rims.. Its  just i fancied bit wider amd bit taller tyre probably for looks more than.performance.i saw a video.heres a screenshot..i thought these looked good.he is foreign so I didn't try messaging him.

Screenshot_20210117-165215_YouTube.jpg