• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FPV RC car with low latency streaming, video recording?

owenstanley

I'm looking for something quite specific and wondering if anyone has any ideas. I've recently started getting into RC cars and I'm having an absolute blast. I think it'd be really cool to move the point of view from 3rd person, watching and controlling the car from the outside, to a first person view of whatever the car is seeing. Basically having a camera mounted on the RC car and then viewing the point of view of the car via this camera. I'd also like to be able to record first person race footage from the camera to MP4 files for subsequent use.

I know that there are some solutions out there such as DJI racing goggles, but these are way too expensive for me. I picked up a RC car with FPV camera mounted for around $80 on Amazon but when I received it and actually tested it out, the FPV video was so laggy that it was essentially impossible to drive the car without crashing into every obstacle (think at least 1 second of lag). The car was basically a sub-standard RC car (didn't even have proportional steering) with what looked to be a regular webcam haphazardly mounted on the top; it was a really poorly executed hack job. So I'm looking for a mid-priced solution that can do FPV streaming from an RC car, with low latency and video recording functionality. Is anything like this out there?

Well I imagine this would be a place where you'd have to look into quad tech, so something like a runcam split I think they're called which can do the fpv and record, then you'd need a vtx and then goggles/screen with a video receiver.

Like I imagine price wise two of those three parts are cheap it's just the goggles side of things where its costly... 

I have been tempted just to sit my drone on top of my car before to try it out 🤔but could end badly