• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Question about a nitro RC car

raginipaul24

I just bought my first nitro rc car -- a Traxxas Jato 3.3. I bought it used from an top-rated rc car/parts dealer on ebay who said it was in great running condition. It's on its way in the mail right now, and I'm looking forward to receiving it on Friday.

Since this is my first nitro, I thought I'd ask some questions about m showboxaintenance and such. I've seen too many stories of people who get a nitro rc car and ruin it soon after by not handling it correctly. Luckily, since this is used, it was already broken in by an experienced rc enthusiast. That's one usps tracking less thing I have to worry about.

My question is: what should be my procedure before, during, and after running a nitro car to ensure the longest life and the lowest maintenance?

Edited by raginipaul24

https://traxxas.com/products/models/nitro/jato33-tsm

Manual is a must read to prep you & buy anything that may be required - https://traxxas.com/sites/default/files/55077-3-KC2878-R00-Jato-33-Owners.pdf

Page 14, 19, 25, 27, 34 and 35 are  a must read. But reading the whole thing will brush up your knowledge on this.

Enjoy with your new toy when it arrives!

• 2 weeks later...

Before - Make sure you get the correct fuel, start your carb needles from factory settings and don't skimp on batteries just because it's nitro. On the latter point, some nice rechargeable batteries for your TX and a good hump pack for the RX. Not sure which receiver comes in the Jato, but make sure you've got a failsafe if you don't have one built into the RX.

During - Warm the engine up slowly, don't full throttle the thing straight away. I personally don't like storing cars with fuel in them for a number of reasons, so use the fuel you put in it, I will mention the main reason below,

After - After run oil or similar. Nitro fuel attracts moisture, which unaddressed will corrode your engine internals. After use, take your glow plug out, drop in 5 drops of after run oil, glow plug back in, spin the engine over. I have been known to do a few drops into the carb too as I have taken apart a number of engines that have corrosion on the crank. My 3.3 included. 

Hope that helps and hope you're enjoying the visceral experience that is nitro :)