• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Baja 5b Drivetrain Help

Shockwave_

Basically I have at the moment the problem of keep snapping the bolt and ie drilled it out 4 times but keep stopping the thread on the clutch bell so wanted to get a hex drive bell and a metal spur gear to go with but I can’t seem to find one so what I need is a hex drive pinion bell and spur gear all metal as don’t want the hassle of the plastic spurs keep burning out after like 10 minutes of usage, can anyone help me out. Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Shockwave_ said:

Basically I have at the moment the problem of keep snapping the bolt and ie drilled it out 4 times but keep stopping the thread on the clutch bell so wanted to get a hex drive bell and a metal spur gear to go with but I can’t seem to find one so what I need is a hex drive pinion bell and spur gear all metal as don’t want the hassle of the plastic spurs keep burning out after like 10 minutes of usage, can anyone help me out. Thanks again.

first option would be to do the bolt mod on the stock bell mate, instead of screwing a bolt in from the outside as your doing (its a common problem the bolts snapping)

screw an allen bolt in from the inside so the threads of the bolt are outside the bell, then fit pinion and a nyloc nut and lock washer on the outside,

that way if the bolt does snap(they snap a lot less often this way), then you just remove the bell and wind the snapped bolt out with an allen key, so no drilling needed,

as for hex bells, vertigo 12mm hex are the best imo, thats if vertigo are still making em, you are limited on pinion sizes though, 16 to 19teeth if i remember right,

or go blackbone, there  not hex but super strong and the best of the best really,

as for spur gear, again i say blackbone, but there are others around, ddm do there own spurs called black magic, but they are very heavy,

bare in mind if you go blackbone spur you will also need a spur carrier, unless your bajas rcmax/twin or alx big bore engine, then the pinion/spurs are solid,

hope that helps mate,

oh, i think rovan and km do a steel spur as well, not sure how strong they are etc, but steel over plastic any day lol,

• Thanks 1