• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

SCX10 II Transmission Types/Differences

willb

Morning, need a little clarification please from any Axial experts out there (I have been researching but seem to find mixed answers or only old forum threads).

I have an SCX10 II 6x6 Mog which is awesome. I've been modding it recently and the last part of the project was to fit a servo winch. Usually SCX10 II's come with the parts tree to allow you to fit a second servo behind the steering servo, however the 6x6 didn't. A friend of mind has the SCX10 II Jeep Cherokee and kindly gave me the missing parts. However, it turned out I needed to swap quite a lot of bits between the 2 crawlers, battery tray, servo mount and more. The final bit was the transmission...

On my 6x6, it has a grey (newer?) transmission, similar or the same as what comes with the builders kit. On the RTR it comes with an all black transmission. The reason I had to swap transmissions was due to the grey one sitting the motor back too far and not allowing a second servo to be fitted.

Question, what is the difference between the 2 other than aesthetics? The spur is a 56T in both but I didn't open it further to check the gears. The 6x6 had a 14T pinion and the Jeep has a 13T pinion (maybe the other way around, I forget), and both run the stock Axial 35T motor.

Cheers,

Will

The Axial website details the differences between the UMG RTR and kit transmissions and the thinking behind each approach together with noting the FDR of each (details copied below).

Though the RTR listing omits that it has a slipper clutch the same as the kit.

The kit allows for a 2 speed conversion, the RTR doesn’t.

You can view the pitch of the individual gears contained in each in the respective manuals.  

The UMG  kit instructions -

https://www.horizonhobby.com/on/demandware.static/Sites-horizon-us-Site/Sites-horizon-master/default/Manuals/AXI90075-Manual-MULTI.pdf

The 6x6  RTR instructions -

https://www.horizonhobby.com/on/demandware.static/Sites-horizon-us-Site/Sites-horizon-master/default/Manuals/AXI03002-Manual-MULTI.pdf

The RTR 6x6 transmission -

AX10™ TRANSMISSION - ALL METAL GEARS
The ultra compact transmission allows for a wide range of gearing choices. The overall ratio can be adjusted using different pinion and spur gear choices allowing super high speed or competition level crawling speed. The new transmission housing design still retains the basic function of the original transmission but in a new more scale looking case.

• Final drive ratio (FDR) 42.00 – Original SCX10 was 33.06
• All metal internal gears!
• Scale looks – silver color looks like cast aluminum
• Better mounting points at the base of the transmission – no more stripped screws!

The 6x6 kit transmission -

SCX10™ II TRANSMISSION
Scale looks on the outside, genuine Axial gears on the inside! The SCX10™ transmission received a design makeover with special attention paid towards aesthetics by mimicking a real transmission with a bell housing, oil pan and a 4X4 transfer case! And that’s just the beginning. By sitting the transfer case lower into the chassis and centering the driveshafts with the axle input housings, Axial has created a more efficient driveline with better driveshaft angles which puts less stress on moving parts. Better driveshaft angles coupled with hi-pinion axles IS scale realism backed with performance. Also includes full set of ball bearings and all metal internal gears for strength and durability. 

• Transfer case design helps keep the driveshafts centered and as low as possible in the chassis
• Final drive ratio range 33.69 – 54.15 with available spur - pinion gear combinations
• Comes with 56T spur gear and 15T pinion / 32-pitch for durability
• All metal internal gears for strength and durability
• Final drive ratio (FDR) 40.44 with a range from 33.69 - 54.15 - Original SCX10 was 33.06
• Scale looks mimics a full size transmission and transfer case

OPTIONAL: For a functional low/high speed transmission, install the optional 2-speed gear set (part number AX31440 — requires an additional servo for the steering fork).

DUAL SLIPPER CLUTCH
Our dual slipper design uses a pad on each side of the spur gear for added surface area. This allows for more precise tuning and holding power. The spur gear features strong, 32 pitch gearing for high torque applications.

• Slipper design uses a pad on each side of the spur gear for added surface contact area
• More precise tuning and holding power
• Strong 32P gear pitch for high torque applications

• Thanks 1

You're welcome. I couldn't sleep at 4am, I'm sorry if it came across a little 'bald'.

I hope it is useful!

I was really surprised that there is such a difference between the RTR and the kit, I had assumed they are the same but this appears to be an Axial trait.

A little more digging and from the information you sent through. My 6x6 has the newer cased AX10 transmission with metal gearing. My friend's Jeep also has the AX10 but in the older casing and plastic gears. All I've done is swapped the internals between the 2 and I'm now running the older casing which allows me to fit a servo winch in. Doesn't look as good but I like the winch more!

Edited by willb

On 10/10/2020 at 18:48, willb said:

A little more digging and from the information you sent through. My 6x6 has the newer cased AX10 transmission with metal gearing. My friend's Jeep also has the AX10 but in the older casing and plastic gears. All I've done is swapped the internals between the 2 and I'm now running the older casing which allows me to fit a servo winch in. Doesn't look as good but I like the winch more!

Always a way!. Glad you are sorted. But............

This thread would be much more splendid with a pic!!👍🤣

This is a picture of each after all the work has been done. The lighter grey transmission is the newer AX10 version. It came with my UMG10 6x6 and has the metal gears in by default. This is now in my friend's RTR SCX10 II.

6D042768-E361-4D60-8509-784BEEBED47F_1_105_c.jpeg

And this transmission is what was in the RTR SCX10 II. It's a plastic geared AX10 transmission but has the same drive ratio as the newer one. I just swapped the plastic gears out for the metal ones. It also has a much smaller footprint and allows me to run the second servo for a winch. As you can see, it's still pretty tight in there.

55A78348-183E-4863-BE29-4DB7DE16E4E1_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by willb
  • Like 3

Cool man. Always useful for reference for other folks..

I still have an AX10 variant with plastic gears running - been through hell and back and still good!

With regards your quandary, another alternative is to run the winch up front, and use a smaller battery tray... Folks often do this also when they run a forward mounted motor conversion...