• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Spray booth fan

soup

I am getting cheesed off with having to go to the backsstep whenever I want to paint something.  So I have decided to get a spray booth,  The ones that are common on Amason etc seem a bit small for a 1/8 or even a 1/10 body and the ones that are big enough seem to be WAY too expensive .So I decided I will cobble up one myself .

Now searching about the 'net there are some articles that talk of how explosive paint fumes can be ,and with in-line fans kitchen/bathroom extractors etc the fume laden air is pulled over (potentialy) sparking motors ...  However on YT all booths seem to be built with these type of fans am I overthinking this or would I be best trying to source a (reasonably priced) Furnace Blower type fan?

Does anyone use a spray booth if so which one, or did you make it your self?

Edit:- Seems it's not so much the paint fumes that are explosive but the propellant in 'rattle cans'.  So airbrushing is pretty much  fine with inline fans, but spray painting from a can carries a small (vanishingly small?) risk of explosion, is there an airbrushable equivalent to PS paints?

Edited by soup
Add equivalent bit

I have a DIY booth.  About 4' square up to the ceiling. Wooden framed and covered in acrylic. I started with a bathroom extractor fan in the ceiling. It was the most powerful one my builder friend could find but it was useless. I took the fan out and replaced it with this 14" one (see link). I got a decent one as I didn't want to replace that too. It has a filter over it to keep it clean.  My advise whatever you choose would be to put it in front of you, rather than the ceiling. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-POWERFUL-INDUSTRIAL-COMMERCIAL-HEAVY-DUTY-METAL-EXTRACTOR-EHAUST-BLOWER-FAN/401388344398?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649