• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

UK based online retailers

DartmoorTrails

On 08/07/2020 at 12:02, bertberr said:

This is a good idea for a post.  I'd love to be able to buy ALL my RC bits from a model shop in town, even if the prices were a (reasonable) amount more than what I could buy at online/abroad.  Now, I realise that isn't realistic at present (though I do sometimes dream that it could once again be a reality...), so a list of recommended UK based online retailers is the next best thing.

I've used a fair few of those business above, so will just add RC Octane to the list.  He does mail order, and is also a bricks and mortar establishment, based at Dunkerswell Airfield, just north of Honiton.  Only this weekend, I went in to get a new charger and a 1060 esc, and came out with those plus various paints, tools, connectors, tamiya masking tape, x-rings etc.  Nothing beats wandering round a well stocked shop staffed by pleasant, knowledgeable staff, popping bits on the counter as you go (the wallet may not agree though...), all the while supporting a local / UK business.  Reminds me very much of my early years in RC, before online sales, when I'd take a trip over to Beaties in Brighton with my dad, or Harry Brookes in Portslade, or ride over to Worthing to do some salivating in West Sussex Models (now SMC).

My local model shop has decided to remain closed after lockdown and concentrate on online sales.

Gutted.

On 21/07/2020 at 11:13, bertberr said:

Oh...hadn't noticed that!

Damn frustrating sometimes isn't it. Not just our hobby though, loads of online sellers do it.

I paid nigh on £5 for some bolts off Brighton (I think) yesterday and they estimate a week to deliver. Not really a £5 postal service if it's a week away!!

Yeah, I agree with you there. I know these guys need to make a profit, but this just seems a bit greedy... The part in question is £5.12.  No one else in the UK has it in stock, so I don't have a lot of choice.  Just irritates me that I can have a small part sent to me from Amain for around a quid more!