• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Alternative to lexan paint

Garry

So I've had this thought in my mind for years. Lexan/Polycarbonate paint is a certain price for a certain size across the verious sources.. Polycarbonate paint is formulated to adhere to bodyshells and flex in an accident and reziste falling off. White is possibly the most common colour racers use as its great for backing and a simple cost of white makes a great body eith sponsor logos. Paint 4 or 5 bodies at once (for different mounting positions and body styles and it soon adds up in white paint alone! 

So I've always wondered if cheap white primer might be okay? I've painted footballs in the past with it no issues. Big cans for the same price as polycarbonate paint and fkexy too.  I've got a few clear bodies in my stock so I splurged out £3 on a can of Hycote white primer and covered a super thin lightweight touring car body to see how it goes. 

It covers super well, this was just 3 light even coats, and now it's dried its gone a lot more solid in colour. Durability report after we're allowed to go racing again. 

If it falls off, no great loss, it's a backup body. If it sticks it saves me a small fortune. 6 bodies from one can is my estimation. I recently saw it mentioned on Iconic so I thought I'd be a Guinea pig and test the theory. 

IMG_20200627_134327.jpg

Edited by Garry
  • Like 1

Hycote is great for bodies in my experience. Only thing I don't like about the white (and primers especially) is they're very powdery. So if you're going to use them my advice would be to do it outside as the overspray will get literally everywhere. It gets all over the place in my little booth even with a powerful fan :) 

Flex test passed. It is a bit of a satin finish so might not last well against scratched but if you're painting lexan inside the body that won't matter much. Just like the scratch prone areas with tape? 

IMG_20200712_123054.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2