• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Engine stalls when I remove glow plug igniter

MG50

Hi everyone, I’m a complete novice at these nitro cars although am mechanically minded as I raced motorbikes for years. I have my brother in law’s thunder tiger dt10 that he maybe got for Christmas close to 20 years ago. Everything was seized up when I started looking at it but I’ve it all freed up now, new battery’s and new glow plug in (or spark plug as I’d call it). Only problem is when I’ve it running that it cuts out when I remove glow plug igniter at low revs. Anyone any tips on why this could be? Have been told it could be running too rich, currently set at 2.5 turns out.

Thanks!

i heard someone talking about this very thing earlier, as im trying to learn myself.
the igniter should be left on, for 5-10 seconds, after it starts, while the engine warms a tiny bit, enough to run by itself, but if your still having problems ...

he said - if the engine dies, when you remove the igniter, then you probably need to fit a slightly 'hotter' plug.
he said, the colder ones burn hot enough, with the igniter attached, but when you remove the igniter, the heat drops slightly, and if there not within the temperature range, the engine cuts out.
he also said that smaller engines .12 / .15 / .18, generally run a slightly hotter plug, and larger engines, .21 / .25 / .28 upwards, generally run a slightly colder plug, but he also said that this isnt always the case. he recommends the factory plug, it was designed for.

ive also heard people say, it depends on what percentage fuel, your using too, but i dont know about that, need to read up on it, some more.

what engine is it ? ... and what number plug, are you running ?
is the plug new or old ? ... could be tired

Maybe a tad rich on the lsn or if your hsn is to rich this can also make the lsn a bit rich,remember a cold engine is always richer until warmed up, the hsn gets the fuel 1st so if that's rich it will make your lsn a bit richer, same if the hsn is to lean it will make the lsn a tad leaner, this is why you tune the hsn 1st, then lsn, the lsn is normally set ok when the revs just start to raise on tick over, then you can set the idle speed back down again, hope this helps you out.

Hi there sorry for slow reply just getting chance to read these properly now. Yes that’s exactly the type of engine that’s in it. There was an OS 8 plug in it but when I phoned the model shop they said there wasn’t a big selection on them any more and gave me and says R5 on the side. Writing on package says Monster Truck Glow Plug .18-.46 medium nitro.

1 hour ago, MG50 said:

Hi there sorry for slow reply just getting chance to read these properly now. Yes that’s exactly the type of engine that’s in it. There was an OS 8 plug in it but when I phoned the model shop they said there wasn’t a big selection on them any more and gave me and says R5 on the side. Writing on package says Monster Truck Glow Plug .18-.46 medium nitro.

R5 is a couple steps colder than an OS 8.
thats probably why your having issues.

Just to clarify, the lsn is the one on the side below the throttle linkage? Was told to run it close to flush? Have the hsn set to 2.5 to start then adjust as needed. If I could just keep it going then that would get me a good start! Got more new plugs but they are R5 again it’s all they have. If it doesn’t work I will order some OS 8 and wait for them to arrive before trying again.