• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

GoolRC brushless motor & 60A ESC starting problem

Burnerrenner

Hi all,

I'd appreciate it if you could give a newbie some advice before i start chucking money in the wrong direction...

I recently bought an Absima AB3.4 in kit form as a "quarantine project" along with a goolrc 4300Kv motor and 60A esc combo from ebay and paired it up with a 45C 2S lipo. I'm experiencing bad low speed cogging with it to the point that it can't even pull away when sat on short grass. A gentle kick up the arse to get it moving and it goes screaming off, acceleration is very strong and responsive, plenty of power on tap. I'm running it on a 23 tooth pinion, I saw a youtube video by Birmingham GT RC where he was running pretty much the same setup with a far larger pinion with no problems, so i can't believe i'm overgearing it. Mesh between pinion and spur looks fine to me, no tight spots in drivetrain etc.

I'm thinking it might be a duff esc but I'd welcome any other ideas.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the necroposting but did you fix this in the end? I'm having exactly the same issue with goolrc 60a 4300kv on a corally mammoth. Tried stock 13T pinion, dropping to 11T and even tried a 15T but its the same. 

Is the fix just a better esc?

i run the 60a ESC and motor in my Team Corally Triton and i get the same issues no matter what gearing i get cogging issues i think its purely down to the esc not being very good at delivering power. Motors again very good though! for £35 what can you expect really..

3 hours ago, iRiCkYx said:

i run the 60a ESC and motor in my Team Corally Triton and i get the same issues no matter what gearing i get cogging issues i think its purely down to the esc not being very good at delivering power. Motors again very good though! for £35 what can you expect really..

I used the same goolrc 4300kv motor but swapped in a max10 sct ESC and no cogging issues at all now. The Corally mammoth is absolutely flying now! I just need to play around with gearing, stock 13T pinion and the motor gets a little warm, i can still touch it for 3 seconds, but im going to try going down a tooth or two and see how it goes. No idea with gearing, but i have a few pinions so ill probably try a tooth or two either side of stock.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SgtStress said:

I used the same goolrc 4300kv motor but swapped in a max10 sct ESC and no cogging issues at all now. The Corally mammoth is absolutely flying now! I just need to play around with gearing, stock 13T pinion and the motor gets a little warm, i can still touch it for 3 seconds, but im going to try going down a tooth or two and see how it goes. No idea with gearing, but i have a few pinions so ill probably try a tooth or two either side of stock.

sounds like a plan i think i will go that route as well and swap in a hobby wing esc i run that exact one on my granite and its great! 

18 hours ago, SgtStress said:

how warm does your goolrc motor run? I've tried a few different pinions and it seems it just likes to run a little warm

can get quite warm not too bad when only running on 2s, i haven't actually run a full 3s pack through mine to see what thats like but i guess it depends on many factors on the day. Type of surface, how much your pushing it, ambient temp etc