• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper 7 lock down project

Hey,

I been a while since I was heavily into RC, life and work just sort of took over .............. Anyhow with working from home whilst in lock down I've dragged the old Hyper 7TQ out of the shed with the idea of going brushless.

My RC knowledge is fairly out of date so am looking for a little shove in the right direction please, I've done some reading up and have come up with the parts list below, Any advice if I've missed anything, got it wrong or should be looking at better alternative components would be much appreciated.

• Hoboa Hyper SS motor mount
  • Either EZrun Max8 combo or  Quicrun WP-8bl150 ESC plus ........... ?? motor
  • Losi 8e battery tray
  • 20kg steering servo ....... any recomendations ?

Any upgrade parts required ? 

It would be a general basher, I dont want stupid power just fun, reliable and tough 

Thanks 👍

• Like 1

Hi , 

done my hyper 7, using 

vse mount

losi tray

max 8 esc ezrun 2200kv 42/74

19 tooth pinion 46 spur   

4s lipo 60c its fast & fun

6s lipo 45c its crazy power.. lockdowns stopped me from going to  a bigger spot to test.

4s temps are great with 19t 

on 6s temps go up quick with 19t 

i trimmed a few mm off the battery trays esc section. 

hope that helps

01409950-04F2-4DF6-8C4E-8CCB03780715.jpeg

• Like 2

the stripped down and clean is coming along so am ordering the parts in i need to complete this but may need your advice guys.

• any alternative battery tray suggestion as the losi 8ight is not only like hens teeth to get hold of but also not sure mounting the esc directly by the rear wheel is a good idea as it will get covered in crap.
  • what max8 combo kv should i be looking at - 2200kv ??
  • it'll be a basher so 4s batteries should work but what amps and c rating should i go for 

Cheers

Lisa

I’ve only used the losi 8 tray which is excellent so I’m not sure. I bought mine from USA. Was around £12 with free delivery. They don’t seem to be available at the moment though, as you say.

You wouldn’t want to go higher than 2200kv. My brother in law used 6s on that motor and it blew the tyres off straight off when he used full throttle.

In theory you need a LiPo that matches the 150a esc rating so:

4000mah needs 40c

45000mah needs 35c

5000mah needs 30c

Stick to this and you’ll be fine

i made  mud guards & attached them to the rear arms,  & i fitted mesh into the body case to block off the old engine holes 

stops grass getting in.

Guards seem to give the ESC the added protection 

grass still finds its way into the Max 8’s fan & into the heat sink fins. 

66D7892C-90AD-45B2-8420-78CAE0CA5CC3.jpeg

8B12450A-C45A-42D3-8E75-0F0E6501A536.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok an update,

I managed to find a losi 8ight battery tray so that's on its way from the states and have received the traxxas rx box.

Waiting on the Vse mount and will order the Max8 once i've figured out which connectors are best XT90 or EC5 ? :confused:

Would two of these batteries be suitable for run the Hyper ?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-battery-nano-tech-5000mah-2s-45-90c-lipo-pack-xt-90.html?queryID=ba4c25d1628d0117f51c4573bfba696a&objectID=69258&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

Cheers