• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

fnknans absima ab3.4

fnknan

1 hour ago, soopahfly said:

I've just smashed my rear one along with the wing mount and on the same boat.Ordered a replacement plastic one but metal/carbon would be preferable.

The HSP xstr pro ones look different so I don't think they'll fit.

I've got some L shaped aluminium that I might make new wing mounts out of, or reinforcement at least.

37d28787f07428ac07ed1767a8e6c98b.jpg

Yeah the wing mount is stupidly weak. The only route is custom unfortunately. The custom mount I posted about before seems to work very well though. I stayed with plastic because aluminium has a bad habit of bending permanently.

14 minutes ago, fnknan said:

Yeah the wing mount is stupidly weak. The only route is custom unfortunately. The custom mount I posted about before seems to work very well though. I stayed with plastic because aluminium has a bad habit of bending permanently.

Yep, broke rear shock tower yesterday and then a spare. Now broken 3 in total. Pathetically weak. Have ordered an aluminium one for an HSP 94107 from ebay. Not confident it will fit but only a £4 gamble. Looks close from images of the car.  Will advise if I have any joy.

As an aside, geared down to 17t pinion and stuck on some 1/10 truck tyres I had lying around.  Looks pretty cool and does well except for the feeble rear shock tower. Much better balance in the air. Still quick enough on 3s.

IMG_20200522_162717.thumb.jpg.51c7d1114208dd9ed8c702dd21d8ae32.jpgIMG_20200522_162731.thumb.jpg.4b2c0651db0068be8715efb17bf1dae8.jpg

• Like 1

Looks sick!  I only run on 2s so I guess I'm putting less strain on all the parts. Haven't had an issue with the shock tower yet. 

With that aluminium replacement, you'll need some washers to make up the space because it's a lot thinner than the plastic one if I remember correctly.

Where did you get those arms and knuckles? They're hsp ones by the look of them but I can't find any in stock. Do you have any idea where to get em?

Edited by fnknan

2 hours ago, fnknan said:

Looks sick!  I only run on 2s so I guess I'm putting less strain on all the parts. Haven't had an issue with the shock tower yet. 

With that aluminium replacement, you'll need some washers to make up the space because it's a lot thinner than the plastic one if I remember correctly.

Where did you get those arms and knuckles? They're hsp ones by the look of them but I can't find any in stock. Do you have any idea where to get em?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252975355335. These are the arms I bought. They've gone up £2 since I bought them. Took a while to arrive.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rupert said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252975355335. These are the arms I bought. They've gone up £2 since I bought them. Took a while to arrive.

Ah thanks they're super cheap too compared to what I've seen. Too bad they only come in blue at this price.

Ah thanks they're super cheap too compared to what I've seen. Too bad they only come in blue at this price.

I can't see why it wouldn't fit.

I've been spending some time looking into it, and the hsp, wltoys and absima all use the same differential, the diff screws down to the chassis plate and the shock tower screws to the diff.

Shock positioning may be different but shouldn't make a difference.

I've ordered one from amazon.

FLAMEER Aluminum Alloy Rear Shock Tower for HSP 1:10 Radio Control RC Buggy Car Purple https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KZ6139M/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_0f2ZEbQ2QZQCR

Might need a different way of mounti the spoiler.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, soopahfly said:

I can't see why it wouldn't fit.

I've been spending some time looking into it, and the hsp, wltoys and absima all use the same differential, the diff screws down to the chassis plate and the shock tower screws to the diff.

Shock positioning may be different but shouldn't make a difference.

I've ordered one from amazon.

FLAMEER Aluminum Alloy Rear Shock Tower for HSP 1:10 Radio Control RC Buggy Car Purple https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KZ6139M/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_0f2ZEbQ2QZQCR

Might need a different way of mounti the spoiler.

Had some joy today. Have ordered basically the same shock tower as that amazon one. Coming from China. Also ordered another from eBay, used with a wing mount. Fits well. Had to modify shell but not bad. Wing mount feels loads tougher. Time will tell.IMG_20200528_175154.thumb.jpg.dcc2a9fc46fd587563f560d2608a622c.jpgIMG_20200528_175205.thumb.jpg.ee015be9e9abb6537775a76c91c60d6b.jpgIMG_20200528_175123.thumb.jpg.1b336eec1e13f972f1b19632b73fe5ab.jpg

• Like 2

Good to know. Turns out the one off amazon is coming all the way from China.
I've bought the alloy wing brackets from blacksmith and they have removable body post mounts so all I'd need to do to the body is the two notches you've made.

Wish I'd just bought the hsp!

My spoiler parts arrived from blacksmith, very sturdy.  Even if you give it a reasonable squeeze the arms don't move.
Won't fit on the standard suspension tower though, but I've found a UK stockist for the HSP re-inforced tower so that should be here tomorrow fingers crossed.

This all feels much more sturdy than the stock plastic bits so far.  If you permanently bend this setup, I think you'd have caused some serious damage to the rest of the car.

Has anyone had issues with the steering on these things? I've managed to burn out 2 servos now and can't find a solution to the problem. Ive set up all the linkages to the dimensions specified in the manual etc, loosened the spring tension on the servo saver but nothing seems to help. Has anybody got any advice on servos to use and steering system set up? Does anybody run it with bearings instead of bushes in the steering system or with the aluminium Ackerman plate? 

36 minutes ago, JKN34 said:

Has anyone had issues with the steering on these things? I've managed to burn out 2 servos now and can't find a solution to the problem. Ive set up all the linkages to the dimensions specified in the manual etc, loosened the spring tension on the servo saver but nothing seems to help. Has anybody got any advice on servos to use and steering system set up? Does anybody run it with bearings instead of bushes in the steering system or with the aluminium Ackerman plate? 

I've had zero issues. What servos have you been using?

10 minutes ago, fnknan said:

I've had zero issues. What servos have you been using?

I've been using these, I've used them in cars before and had no issues with them so was just assuming its the setup of the car 

image.thumb.png.d2e603c4fb4940d1a65110739d7ff9bb.png

24 minutes ago, JKN34 said:

I've been using these, I've used them in cars before and had no issues with them so was just assuming its the setup of the car 

image.thumb.png.d2e603c4fb4940d1a65110739d7ff9bb.png

Seems weird that you've burned out two. If you disconnect the servo, is there a lot of resistance when turning the wheels left and right?

24 minutes ago, fnknan said:

Seems weird that you've burned out two. If you disconnect the servo, is there a lot of resistance when turning the wheels left and right?

If you disconnect the servo and turn the wheels using the servo saver there is a little bit of resistance, but I don't think it's anymore than what the spring in the servo saver is giving. What torque value does the servo you use give? 

19 hours ago, JKN34 said:

If you disconnect the servo and turn the wheels using the servo saver there is a little bit of resistance, but I don't think it's anymore than what the spring in the servo saver is giving. What torque value does the servo you use give? 

It's a 10kg servo so a bit stronger than yours

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstar-ts-d99x-digital-1-10-scale-touring-drift-buggy-steering-servo-10kg-0-08sec-45g.html?countrycode=GB&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAjw5vz2BRAtEiwAbcVIL6V4YUCreGZuCbxC-985pSVh1mJqhNJiP08b5xyt1yMn1WHa8Ft_TRoCeiYQAvD_BwE&___store=en_us

10 hours ago, fnknan said:

I've ordered a new 16kg servo which should be here for the weekend so I'll give it a go and let you guys know

3 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

the servo isn't stalling at all is it ?

digital servo's dont like being stalled and tend to pop if stalled 

I don't think it is. I've been checking it over a lot and trying to adjust the whole steering system to get it to work better but just seem to keep popping them. I'm going to try a stronger servo and see what happens 

I had problems with mine being a bit stiff, my kit was missing the screws but when the replacement came it was better. I just didn't like how it was plastic on plastic and modified the linkage. I set the end points for the steering servo and it's been fine.
Only problem I have now after fitting a cheap goolrc brushless setup and a 3s battery is that it keeps chucking tyres into the trees.

2 minutes ago, soopahfly said:

I had problems with mine being a bit stiff, my kit was missing the screws but when the replacement came it was better. I just didn't like how it was plastic on plastic and modified the linkage. I set the end points for the steering servo and it's been fine.
Only problem I have now after fitting a cheap goolrc brushless setup and a 3s battery is that it keeps chucking tyres into the trees.

How did you modify the linkage? did you get aluminium Ackerman plate?

How did you modify the linkage? did you get aluminium Ackerman plate?
https://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forums/topic/241711-absima-ab34-steering-modification/&share_tid=241711&share_fid=4338&share_type=t&link_source=app

Absima AB3.4 Steering Modification

• 2 months later...

Hi mate. How’s it going ?
I have a question for you as I’ve recently taken possession of the 3.4 bl.
Problem I’m having is it’s super slow.
I need a beast that will fly on 3 s.
I know you’re build and you know your stuff.
Could you recommend a pinion and spur combination that’ll give good acceleration and decent tip end on 3 s?
In addition what would you opt for with the motor. This has a 60a esc fitted?
Any help would be great fully received. 17aeea35152c221f4a4cb4898ea3a1f4.jpg

Bash, Break, Build, Repeat...

• 2 months later...

Hi, just bought one of these as my first kit. I’ve taken it out just to test it and all of 5 minutes in rear shock tower snapped and under closer inspection a wheel has also broke. Is this what I need to expect because it’s not really what I wanted out of an rc car. I understand that they brake but I got 5 minutes and it was a test run so I was just checking it out. But my real question is can you buy upgrade parts and where from I have looked on there website and the obvious eBay but no joy. Any help will be appreciated thank you