• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thunder Tiger S50

Darren Buckle

Hi All,

Newbie here!! sorry!.

Getting back into RC and purchased a Thunder Tiger Sledge Hammer S50 for me (and the kids!!)

Had nitro back in the day which consisted of a fuel pipe to a basic carb and nothing else.

This thing has me stumped!

I cannot get it to go!  - well, I can if I prime at full throttle, then attach glow starter and spin it up.  Lasts for about 5 seconds

So - I have reset LSN and HSN back to factory.  

It has a primer bulb which just seems to want to detach from the fuel line and spurt fuel everywhere if pressed hard to prime and still the air bubbles won't move to show fuel going in. (with or without glowplug if this helps).  

If primed direct to carb or a small drop with glow plug out into the cylinder she fires up straight away (but then dies because of no fuel) so engine seems fine!

Am I missing something here?  

Another thing that i noticed, if it does run (or not) when spinning up the motor, loads of fuel out of the exhaust (as in, at least on tank for a sum total of 20 seconds run time over three nights!) 

Really could do with some help. 

TIA

Daz

Hi. Not familiar with this model but familiar with thunder tiger.  In my manual  it says 3 1/2 turns out for the LSN.  When I first read that I misread it for three 1/2 turns. Which wasn't enough to start it but enough to eventually chuck fuel out of the exhaust.  Have you got it 3 full turns out then an extra half turn? 

2 hours ago, Mack1 said:

Hi. Not familiar with this model but familiar with thunder tiger.  In my manual  it says 3 1/2 turns out for the LSN.  When I first read that I misread it for three 1/2 turns. Which wasn't enough to start it but enough to eventually chuck fuel out of the exhaust.  Have you got it 3 full turns out then an extra half turn? 

Hi and thanks.

Can see where you are coming from.  Will check again but sure I am 3.5 turns out.

Cheers

Start off by removing  the primer bulb from the loop, More trouble than there worth, So you want the pipe going straight from the tank to the carb, You then prime the engine by putting your finger over the exhaust outlet and turning over the engine, Air along with the fuel is the life blood of an engine, But air coming from any place other than through the engine air filter can lead you on a hiding to nothing.

The S50 is an old model, So did you buy it new, I only ask because are you trying to start it with the blue pistol grip starter that comes with the model or with a drill, Your lucky that the Thunder Tiger starter is a straight connection to the crank, But some people loose or break the pistol grip and try to start the engine with cheap B&Q drill that doesn't  turn over fast enough.

Thanks Babylon.  Will remove the bulb.  Bought second hand but only run once (apparently but it does look spotless and new).  I have the pistol grip but no attachement so using a de-walt on high speed.  Does get it to fire but then dies.

Confused by the factory settings on the carb.  LSN i guess is in the front of the carb where the throttle linkage goes back to the servo?  If so, there is no way that is adjusting with the metal attachment that goes over it.

HSN adjusts ok and, of course, idle

Quick update for anyone that may be able to help!  

I ordered a new carb just to see if it made a difference.  I reset to factory and no change.

I did as suggested and removed the primer bulb.  New fuel line and sucks fuel when spinning over with no glow and finger over exhaust.

Starts then dies (i assume when fuel is gone from carb).  Bubbles seem to go back down the pipe?

Put the original fuel lines on.  Primed and it started, then again, after a few seconds (ish) dies.  Squeeze the primer and off she fires again.

If I keep squeezing the primer while it is running she carries on running (and I can even remove the glow starter).  As soon as i stop squeezing then she dies.

I would assume a vacuum issue but it draws through fine with finger over the pipe and spinning the motor over.

Picture attached of how it looks back to default.

Any help more than appreciated :) - it is really doing my head in!

20191206_142757.jpg

I've got one of these sitting in the garage, always loved the giant monster truck thing.

Had roughly the same issues as yourself. two things i found helped.

Engine heater! Turned over easier, fired sooner, idled alright.

25% nitro. It's a big old engine, and i remember mucking about with 16% and having no love at all. It fires better on 25!

Just my two penneths! Persist with it though, cos once they're roaring around the park, they look fantastic.

Don't corner, mind.

1 hour ago, Drnose said:

25% nitro. It's a big old engine, and i remember mucking about with 16% and having no love at all. It fires better on 25!

Agree with this, Don't bother with 16%, There is an old wives tale that 16% has more oil so it's better for your engine, But because of the higher oil content it was harder to tune and more prone to loosing a tune and running lean, Which is an engines death nail.

Check your plug also, Just because it glows it doesn't mean it OK.  

I would still remove the bulb, Although it seemed to make no difference removing it, There is no real advantage to having it, I have never took one apart , But I would  assume there is a one way flap of some sort inside it.  

Try removing both pipes from the exhaust and carb, Put finger over the exhaust and blow down carb pipe to check seal in the tank lid  

4 hours ago, Darren Buckle said:

Thanks Babylon.  I have removed both pipes and replaced with new with no bulb.  If I blow from the Exhaust fuel comes through. 

Or do you mean empty tank with just 2 line attached and blow down the exhaust line?  Does this need to be done in water to see bubbles?

in my experience, reset needles, turn 1/4 out on both from factory settings, with a full tank blow the exhaust vacuum pipe to prime,  then pull it 3-4 times, then heat up the head with a hair dryer or a heat gun (heat gun is way faster... 30 seconds on the head at full whack will have it hot enough) and then put your freshly charged glow igniter on, and give it the beans till it fires up... then once its running, give it light revs... if it stalls out, repeat from glow igniter. 

leave the igniter on for at least 15 seconds if its only warm... then with the car on a stand, adjust the needles till it smokes blue, but doesn't spit oil/fuel out excessively... at this point, it should be ready to test drive. let me know what happens 

• 2 weeks later...

i got s50 sledgehammer  been stood for 3 yr till i got it had to do some repairs. I also removed engine from truck an flushed it out with ( petrol) so too remove gunk from old fuel within crankcase(slightly seized engine) an sealed it ( back plate an carb neck to crankcase)  prevention for airleaks.  Running on sigma 25% fuel  OS 8 plug, i left priming bulb on as is needed to prime this beast of engine.