• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

DIY customised PC case

RC4WD fan

I was playing on my pc today and couldn't help but keep looking at the case and thinking what could I do to make it look different? my first thought was spraying the case a different colour then I thought about buying some of that rap for car and rapping it in that and also changing the LED's on tha fans from blue to colour changing ones and possibly cutting a couple of small windows out and useing some clear plastic to make some clear panels has anyone done stuff similar? I know I can just buy a new case that all ready has said things but start from £40 up to £100+ that I've seen but I like tinkering and you would get the satisfaction at the end of it knowing it's one of a kind and done how you wanted would this be a good idea or not could you see any problems if I did? I can't see why not ?

• Like 1

Great fun modding a case mate list is endless cut a side panel get some color perflex,get some coloured fan grills start matching up a theme etc but like you said you can get cheap £40 cases already donr nowadays tbf

I modded my old case then bought a coolermaster cm690ii in nvidia colors as I liked the scheme.go for it matey :good:

S7000851.jpg

Photo0001-6.jpg

Photo0004-2.jpg

Photo0001-3.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bajadre said:

Great fun modding a case mate list is endless cut a side panel get some color perflex,get some coloured fan grills start matching up a theme etc but like you said you can get cheap £40 cases already donr nowadays tbf

I modded my old case then bought a coolermaster cm690ii in nvidia colors as I liked the scheme.go for it matey :good:

S7000851.jpg

Photo0001-6.jpg

Photo0004-2.jpg

Photo0001-3.jpg

Oh I am been thinking of colour schemes and what I need to get all night ? getting quite excited about about it to be honest ?

• Like 1

I've never fettled with the case itself but have fiddled with the content inside.  having said that I only paid £30 quid for the Phanteks P400S eclipse for what is a decent windowed case and a nice design (albeit like others it is just a big black box)

here's a wee video for lighting effect and a still image since i popped in a GTX970

42514139100_d4472708d5_h.jpgDSC_0277 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Edited by stupar
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, stupar said:

I've never fettled with the case itself but have fiddled with the content inside.  having said that I only paid £30 quid for the Phanteks P400S eclipse for what is a decent windowed case and a nice design (albeit like others it is just a big black box)

here's a wee video for lighting effect and a still image since i popped in a GTX970

42514139100_d4472708d5_h.jpgDSC_0277 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

? very nice mate don't think mine will quit be like that though what light bar is that? 

The light is part of the case, I have been looking at cases myself as I'm currently upgrading my PC

I'm not sure how old your MB is but as well as RGB being popular you can now get addressable RGB fans and light strips which you can have a controller for or as I hi Ted at your MB can control. The fans are by no means cheap but the effects mean you can have lots of cool stuff going on :)

Case wise I'm going with with a Fractal Design Meshify C, the thing you get with modern cases are decent cable management and PSU/HDD basements and that leads to some smart looking builds with a big window showing a clean and tidy PC!

Lots of custom options available at the moment to give you some ideas.

I've been watching lots of YT videos from the Americans, Paul's Hardware Channel, Bitwit and Jayz2Cents to name a couple.

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

? very nice mate don't think mine will quit be like that though what light bar is that? 

Cheers fella

The light bar is the Phanteks Digital RGB strip.  There is one at the top too to give an even light spread on the inside of the case. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stupar said:

Cheers fella

The light bar is the Phanteks Digital RGB strip.  There is one at the top too to give an even light spread on the inside of the case. 

Perfect thanks ?

so far I'm leaning towards leaving the case black changing the current blue fan LEDs to green and cutting a couple of small strips with clear plastic don't want it to bright might get a bit to much ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

Perfect thanks ?

so far I'm leaning towards leaving the case black changing the current blue fan LEDs to green and cutting a couple of small strips with clear plastic don't want it to bright might get a bit to much ?

Sounds like it could be a decent build

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stupar said:

Sounds like it could be a decent build

Yes but will it end up how it's pictured in my head or will I screw up and have to get a new case ?

Right so this is the current case as it stands to date image.jpg forgive me for the mess and wires ? I'm not sure I'll be able to do anything window wise as the side fans take quite a bit of room up unless I move them to a different location ?

18 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

Right so this is the current case as it stands to date image.jpg forgive me for the mess and wires ? I'm not sure I'll be able to do anything window wise as the side fans take quite a bit of room up unless I move them to a different location ?

I used to have that case (Cit Vantage if I remember correctly) 

The fans and controller on the side panel can be removed. If you can remove the mesh too then you could look at putting a piece of acrylic in its place. 

The bezel on the outside will hide any rough edges. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stupar said:

I used to have that case (Cit Vantage if I remember correctly) 

The fans and controller on the side panel can be removed. If you can remove the mesh too then you could look at putting a piece of acrylic in its place. 

The bezel on the outside will hide any rough edges. 

At least someone knows ? 

so if I remove the fans like you said and was one of a couple of ideas I had but if I do it's going run a bit hotter no ? unless I can put the fans somewhere else ? 

5 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

At least someone knows ? 

so if I remove the fans like you said and was one of a couple of ideas I had but if I do it's going run a bit hotter no ? unless I can put the fans somewhere else ? 

To be honest the side fans might not be doing much cooling. 

Assuming you have a fan at the front and one at the rear then you have adequate air passing over your mobo and VRMs. 

What CPU cooler are you using? 

23 minutes ago, stupar said:

To be honest the side fans might not be doing much cooling. 

Assuming you have a fan at the front and one at the rear then you have adequate air passing over your mobo and VRMs. 

What CPU cooler are you using? 

Yep one big one at the front and one big one at the rear I just thought the more you have the cooler and better it was ? 

CPU cooler I'm not sure I'll take a pic in a while and let you know ? I've been thinking about upgrading it anyway 

1 hour ago, RC4WD fan said:

Yep one big one at the front and one big one at the rear I just thought the more you have the cooler and better it was ? 

CPU cooler I'm not sure I'll take a pic in a while and let you know ? I've been thinking about upgrading it anyway 

More isn't always better and cooler. 

If ou look at the majority of new cases they usually only come with 2 fans (1 front for intake and one rear for exhaust). 

As a starter this is usually adequate for case cooling unless you are really going to ramp up the performance of your PC. 

Just now, stupar said:

More isn't always better and cooler. 

If ou look at the majority of new cases they usually only come with 2 fans (1 front for intake and one rear for exhaust). 

As a starter this is usually adequate for case cooling unless you are really going to ramp up the performance of your PC. 

I'm not doing a high spec hi end rig just a nicely spec all rounder ? so you're right will probably be a ok I could just turn off the side fans the next time I play probably tonight and monitor temperatures then I'll know for sure ? 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

I'm not doing a high spec hi end rig just a nicely spec all rounder ? so you're right will probably be a ok I could just turn off the side fans the next time I play probably tonight and monitor temperatures then I'll know for sure ? 

Good idea! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stupar said:

Good idea! 

I know I have good ideas sometimes ? this is the CPU cooler by the way a AMD cooler master image.jpg

Edited by RC4WD fan

So had a little play with the side fans turned off and the temperatures were

CPU 35c 

GPU 61c

motherboard 52c

these were the highest temps I saw so would it be ok to remove the side fans in favour of some bling ?

4 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

So had a little play with the side fans turned off and the temperatures were

CPU 35c 

GPU 61c

motherboard 52c

these were the highest temps I saw so would it be ok to remove the side fans in favour of some bling ?

Were they ideal temps or in game temps? 

1 minute ago, RC4WD fan said:

While playing a fairly demanding game Beamng drive 

I'd say your temps are fine then if those figures are under load. 

Other options for cooling include changing the case fans which I assume are the stock ones for something with a better airflow ratings. 

4 minutes ago, stupar said:

I'd say your temps are fine then if those figures are under load. 

Other options for cooling include changing the case fans which I assume are the stock ones for something with a better airflow ratings. 

should be ok then 

the fans are the stock ones yes do you have any budget friendly oppositions for new ones? 

Edited by RC4WD fan