• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Range issues

Skiprat1977

Just a quick one... im still learning. 

The range on my inferno Ve sucks. I have a KT331p   controller and kr331 receiver that came with the car.  Open field. The range soon dropped. Then on a bmx track the range dropped behind a hill no more than 20ft away. 

So do i stick with what seems a reasonable tx ? If so... does the new rx have to be the ssme model 

Or

Get new tx and rx? 

I dont want anything fancy. 

Cheers Kris 

Are the batteries in your TX fully charged? Any damage to the RX aerial?

If you fancy a change and on a budget then you really can't go far wrong with one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flysky-FS-GT3B-2-4G-3CH-Transmitter-With-Receiver-Fail-Safe-For-RC-Car-Boat-HT/391747528728?epid=863677327&hash=item5b35f8e818:g:2E8AAOSwZlZaFrSX

I ran one for years with no range issues whatsoever and extra RX's are dirt (and I mean dirt) cheap!

1 hour ago, Skiprat1977 said:

Just a quick one... im still learning. 

The range on my inferno Ve sucks. I have a KT331p   controller and kr331 receiver that came with the car.  Open field. The range soon dropped. Then on a bmx track the range dropped behind a hill no more than 20ft away. 

So do i stick with what seems a reasonable tx ? If so... does the new rx have to be the ssme model 

Or

Get new tx and rx? 

I dont want anything fancy. 

Cheers Kris 

The receivers usually the weak link with these KT units, although without another tx that will be hard to pin point, could easily be  tx that's been dropped/moisture ingress from bad storage.

If you want to keep the kt transmitter you'll need kt fhss receiver

This was talked about in another thread, the Kyosho syncro stuff is quite well known to do this. My brand new Kyosho DBX had these problems no matter where i took it. I would bite the bullet and spend just a small bit of cash and get yourself a cheap TX and RX..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RCpete said:

This was talked about in another thread, the Kyosho syncro stuff is quite well known to do this. My brand new Kyosho DBX had these problems no matter where i took it. I would bite the bullet and spend just a small bit of cash and get yourself a cheap TX and RX..

Just ordered the replacement rx. Hopefully be ok

• Like 1

Guys, just a heads up, we have checked range issues on many occasions, the most common cause is bad quality batteries either in the car (if nitro) or the transmitter. I dont reccomend using budget AA batteries nor the long life duracells as they dont give the power, the may show good voltage but under load do not perform.  also on the older Syncro radios you could change the mode from F to G, but has to be on both RX and TX!!!! this ups the power in the radio to give better range. FYI F was specific for France where they had power output restriction on 2.4!!! apart from that damaged RX antenna is next likely, lastly if the TX is damaged by dropping or got wet! I hope the RX fixes the problem Skip!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brit_bulldog said:

Guys, just a heads up, we have checked range issues on many occasions, the most common cause is bad quality batteries either in the car (if nitro) or the transmitter. I dont reccomend using budget AA batteries nor the long life duracells as they dont give the power, the may show good voltage but under load do not perform.  also on the older Syncro radios you could change the mode from F to G, but has to be on both RX and TX!!!! this ups the power in the radio to give better range. FYI F was specific for France where they had power output restriction on 2.4!!! apart from that damaged RX antenna is next likely, lastly if the TX is damaged by dropping or got wet! I hope the RX fixes the problem Skip!

I've had defective syncro RX's in brushed , brushless and nitro, problem was never transmitter /bad batteries, almost all of them was user misuse:D

Usually water ingress from running in the rain....

Its about time the manufacturers introduced budget waterproof receivers as standard, seems silly to put them in a supposedly watertight box, which only ever withstand a light splash at best without moisture ingress......especially seeing as traxxas recently purchased the patent for a waterproof RX box in an rc car.

Why not just roll out a waterproof RX as stock?

I've taken to using an old plasti dipped losi/spektrum tx/RX for the wife's kyosho at the moment, damn things won't die.......

I take your point, plasti dipping does work but its not ideal as we believe it can affect certain components and some rx cases are not easy to take apart, if you really want to run in the wet an old fashion RX ballon is simple answer, its what the top racers use still.

8 minutes ago, brit_bulldog said:

I take your point, plasti dipping does work but its not ideal as we believe it can affect certain components and some rx cases are not easy to take apart, if you really want to run in the wet an old fashion RX ballon is simple answer, its what the top racers use still.

Will Any balloon work? 

5 hours ago, Skiprat1977 said:

Will Any balloon work? 

5 hours ago, brit_bulldog said:

Do racers run in the rain???......I'm not talking some damp dirt on the prepped track.... Like actual rain etc ..... Puddles almost deep enough to make you cohones momentarily shrink when you approach it at 40-50mph

In the past I've tried balloons , which are not 100% waterproof by any means, even if you use two balloons and ziptie each entrance of the balloon to the RX input wires, there's always moisture ingress, as it tracks its way down the RX input wires onto the pins, the obvious flaw in a balloon being a huge hole in one end.

I've also used various boxes, Tupperware, supposedly waterproof RX boxes from various marques (traxxas,kyosho,cen,hsp etc etc), ive also PTFE greased the RX boards, tried silicone, taped the RX whilst plugging the empty servo input wire pin spaces with blue tac in an attempts to seal the RX casing

In my experience your trying to prevent the inevitable by waterproofing the casing or housing of a non waterproof electronic component

I've found there's only one surefire way to waterproof your rc, plasitidip the board followed by epoxying the RX case back shut to seal it up, and of course some blue tac to go round the input wire pin spaces on the bind channel etc etc.

And yes I take on board your comments about plastidip bbulldog, but I've never once found it to affect any PCB components in an RX at all.

You also mention that the RX casing is not easy/sometimes even possible to prize open to dip the PCB board, well that's kind of my point!!!! It should be done from the factory pre assembly!! Which would negate the need for the user to open the RX themselves.

Just a thought!

Edited by Fly In My Soup

We do use the ballons in Rallycross but we also use a rubber gum where the wires go in to make a good seal (like a bung). also we block all the holes where the wires go in and out of the rx box and also on the servos where the wires go in and out. If its an important race and its raining you may have to go out like it or not. I remember one of the worlds in Thailand few years ago the heat was very bad and they was having trouble with Receivers overheating and especially those that had been dipped. 

In Onroad i know the guys get more inventive with making plastic boxes to put ESC in etc, and i know they do use the plasti dip a lot as its harder to stop the water getting in.

I would say to a basher, firstly dont run in the wet!!! but if you want to then get prepared, its not just electrics but bearings and engines will need to be taken out as soon as possible after and dried and flushed with oil to prevent damage. waterproof dip whatever variant can work but it will likely void the warranty but then again running in wet will do to. Whatever you do running in wet is always a pain and best to avoid. TBH honest when i say problems with RX getting wet its not just water most often fuel that gets spilt into RX when people top up the tanks.

• Like 1

On 05/03/2018 at 12:32, brit_bulldog said:

Didn't matter whether i changed from F to G, i rebinded it...everything i could think of with that TX/RX....nothing worked.......rubbish. This was the KT200??..i think..

Shame as it was a really nice TX to hold and use.