• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas T-Maxx electric conversion

t2boats

Had a T-Maxx for a several years now, collecting dust. So, recently - and once again - Nitro engine and accompanying parts launched into orbit and set about gathering the necessary electric bits n bobs. I also changed the chassis to the long wheel base variant. At the time I was deciding on what role the T-Maxx was going to have, so was thinking along the lines of exploring with FPV. Wanting to keep a nice/steady received-picture in the FPV goggles I wasn't after too much speed. I stuck with the stock 3.3 grey gearbox and added the forward-only conversion. Changed the spur gear from 56 to 62 teeth, and coupled that to a 12 tooth pinion, all 0.8mod. It has a 2600kv 3660 motor, 60a Waterproof esc, Waterproof 15kg servo. I kept the 2-speed still active, so started off with a 2S lipo but with the low gear ratio and kv on 2S the rpm was too low for the gearbox to change up to 2nd. It was slow. But on the other hand it's slow speed control is spot on. So, I then tried a 3S lipo, and it still slowly trundled around and clambered over rough ground with ease - in 1st gear. And with the extra volts packing from the 3S the revs can of course become higher - just to the point where it changes up to 2nd gear. Super! So it's ended up the best of both worlds, I've got slow speed driveability in 1st gear (ideal for FPV) and when I want some more go it can have a little more throttle and then it shifts up for some fun. It's not mega fast, but quick enough to put a smile on my face when off-road. To top it off I fitted an old SCT shell I've had for years, I think it looks quite nifty! I'll be adding the FPV gear over the next few weeks, make a few videos. 

IMG_4379.JPG

IMG_4380.JPG

IMG_4386.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Watch out for the plastic drive shafts twisting from the diff to the wheels, that’s the biggest issue I discovered after selling my electric converted T-Maxx to another member, I was totally unaware of the damaged being caused to them, (if I was, I wouldn’t have sold it) 

I miss my T-Max some days. I was only running on 2s, but I did the single speed conversion.

• Thanks 1

On 27/01/2018 at 10:50, TMaxxDave said:

Watch out for the plastic drive shafts twisting from the diff to the wheels, that’s the biggest issue I discovered after selling my electric converted T-Maxx to another member, I was totally unaware of the damaged being caused to them, (if I was, I wouldn’t have sold it) 

I miss my T-Max some days. I was only running on 2s, but I did the single speed conversion.

To be fair its not obvious that they won't take the torque of a beefy brushless setup. You'd imagine that nitro was similar, but of course brushless develops torque from a standing start. 

It depends what you want from it, I started out with Dave's conversion and basically ended up building a new E Maxx. However if I'd just run it on 2s with less power it probably wouldn't have twisted the driveshafts so quickly. 

I have to say though that E Maxx along with my Summit never failed to take a pasting and come back for more. 

Now I've randomly found this thread I really miss my RC stuff especially my E Max and Summit. 

• Thanks 1

@TMaxxDave & @Markswebpages  thanks for the heads up chaps! Much appreciated. With mine being low geared and mostly running at slower speeds (for fpv) then hopefully it won’t experience the shaft problem. The propshafts I’ve fitted appear to be a lot beefier than the stock shafts I took off. With me fitting the LWB chassis I bought different shafts thinking they’d fit straight away - I was wrong - I had to shorten them slightly so they must’ve been off another Traxxas model?!? Anyway, they’ve worked out well in the end and move the car back n fore. In a few weeks when I’m back home I’ll set up the FPV and give it a try.

• 4 years later...

Hello!

I am in the process of doing a similar build but I have hit a snag.  How are you handling the braking and reverse while keeping the 2 speed?  I have forward only installed in the transmission but if I cannot use the motor to brake or reverse without locking 2nd gear.   I was planning on keeping 2nd gear but it appears that it inst possible without using the mechanical brake and no reverse.   Based on your pictures, you are not using the mechanical brake and I am assuming you can still reverse using the ESC.