• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas TRX4 Land Rover

Ive read with interest the pre-release stuff and seen loads of videos and finally saw one up close up on display this weekend. Really like the look and going through Jekyll and Hyde whether to bite the bullet on one.

I'd welcome thoughts and opinions from owners if you can spare 2 mins..

thanks in advance 

Edited by Davy Crockett

How do mate? Been a while....

yep I have one,  ran it at this weekends nationals and completed 400 gates and it's still running perfectly.

there is a couple of issues though.

servo and horn are ok on a woodland trail but ask it to work and it becomes weak and doesn't want to turn cleanly. It is a little wide but it did go through the gates ok, biggest issue is lack of choice for wheels, some work and clear the portal housing, some don't. Finally it really does need the spare wheel removing and adding some weight up front.

so nothing you wouldn't really do and change to any rtr crawler/scaler.

otherwise it went everywhere the scx10/scx10.2/g made and all the rest.

so all those traxxas haters that said they couldn't make a crawler/scaler, look like it's time to eat your words!!

Ok...gave this loads of thought and plenty of do I don't I.... Had a nice surprise last week with a refund from the bank...decision made!! :D

Only managed to get for an hour out with it and have to say its good!!

37697929641_fe01c50d5b_c.jpg

37665498122_009e6e23a2_c.jpg

Like Gaz said previously, servo is underpowered and a its a bit back end heavy.

Plenty of stuff Ive got in mind to do to it and will post more pics as I get things done

I'll be keeping an eye on this! I changed my servo straight away as it is definitely underpowered.

I didn't want to spend a fortune so £17 on an HD waterproof servo

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

I saw that traxxas are doing a light kit for the TRX4, LEDs for head and tail lights, LED light bar and wheel arch lights for night running.... only £85!!

opened the spares box, fired up the soldering iron and cracked open a beer.... cut some wire, soldered some bits and made a loom. Got some micro toggle switches from local supplier (not maplins), LED light bar from eBay

37277076414_c427dab068_z.jpg

37933232806_88b9197cfb_z.jpg

24135040628_48ccd4c868_z.jpg

24135051098_a39cab889c_z.jpg

24135056578_5c0c790b63_z.jpg

Spent under £20 on bits, a beer and an hour putting it together

I'll post pics on the trail tomorrow

• Like 1

I saw that traxxas are doing a light kit for the TRX4, LEDs for head and tail lights, LED light bar and wheel arch lights for night running.... only £85!!
opened the spares box, fired up the soldering iron and cracked open a beer.... cut some wire, soldered some bits and made a loom. Got some micro toggle switches from local supplier (not maplins), LED light bar from eBay

37277076414_c427dab068_z.jpg

37933232806_88b9197cfb_z.jpg

24135040628_48ccd4c868_z.jpg

24135051098_a39cab889c_z.jpg

24135056578_5c0c790b63_z.jpg

Spent under £20 on bits, a beer and an hour putting it together

I'll post pics on the trail tomorrow

Hey Davy,

I'm planning something similar, I don't suppose you would show me how you did the light buckets for some inspiration? I haven't been brave enough to pull mine apart yet!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gavster29 said:

Hey Davy,

I'm planning something similar, I don't suppose you would show me how you did the light buckets for some inspiration? I haven't been brave enough to pull mine apart yet!

Its not that difficult.... take the wheel arches and front 'beam' off and unscrew 3 screws holding light plate to shell.

On the rear plate drill a 5mm hole through the side light and centre of headlight stickers, re-assemble and pop 5mm LEDs in each hole. Same process for rear but you don't have to remove arches, light housing unscrews from the back end.

Its not that difficult.... take the wheel arches and front 'beam' off and unscrew 3 screws holding light plate to shell.
On the rear plate drill a 5mm hole through the side light and centre of headlight stickers, re-assemble and pop 5mm LEDs in each hole. Same process for rear but you don't have to remove arches, light housing unscrews from the back end.
Hmmmm wonder if I can get a spare set to modify! Thanks for the info, I'll have a play, I've only used the truck once and want to rip it apart clean it and see how it all works lol

I like your wiring loom mate, I too looked at the traxxas one and thought the better of it.

although there is a company that does the light buckets, grc? I think.... quite fancy a set of those.

how you finding it so far though mate?

Thanks for all the comments :)

20 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I don't believe it ....

ONE HOUR and ONE BEER ONLY?

Bit far fetched that!!

Looks great mate.

Al

Its true!!.....Had the remaining 11 beers when I finished! :D

10 hours ago, big gaz said:

I like your wiring loom mate, I too looked at the traxxas one and thought the better of it.

although there is a company that does the light buckets, grc? I think.... quite fancy a set of those.

how you finding it so far though mate?

Cheers pal! Traxxas one is WAY overpriced, very neat though but still expensive.

There is a lighting kit on fleabay from china, flat panel LEDs that slip between the housings for about £22 ish IIRC

Totally agree with your original comments, light front end and underpowered servo. I'm replacing servo and ordered some Junfac beadlocks.

Really enjoying the landy.... Its a great rig and impressed with the terrain that it handles as stock. Mate at work has junfac wheels and the weight makes a big difference.

He has also taken the front bumper off, turned the bracket round 180deg and refitted bumper...gives 10mm ish more clearance!!

Edited by Davy Crockett

I have managed this week to change the stock steering servo to a PowerHD 20kg cheapie and seems much stronger :)

Also, DIY mudflaps! Made several version before I got it right and thought I'd share...

Piece of inner tube cut to shape

37449868624_024eb03b2e_c.jpg

Flaps laid looking at back of truck (left on the left hand side)

Loosen last nut on wheel arch and slide the tab on the flap inbetween body and inner clamp, dab of superglue on inside of mudguard arch and bend rubber into mudguard

38127893582_f3c7b691d3_c.jpg

Repeat for the other side and .......Voila!!

38159846851_4fe0efbb31_c.jpg

Edited by Davy Crockett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you very much! :D

Took it for a little run this morning, servo has made a big difference to the stock one

Few pics...

2017-11-04_04-54-09

2017-11-04_04-54-30

2017-11-04_04-55-02

2017-11-04_04-55-29

I have also removed the front bumper, taken the mount off and replaced it upside down, gives more clearance and doesn't get stuck on approach as much

Edited by Davy Crockett

Nice looking trx :good: I was thinking of getting either a trx4 or a scx10 ll,I was leaning towards the trx and reading these threads to find out how people are getting on with them.then a stroke of luck,today I (accidentally)found a Christmas pressie from the wife and it’s a trx4 in green :D I know I have a bit of a wait until I get it but reading these forums it will certainly be worth it

• Thanks 1

You won’t be disappointed mate, maybe worth looking for a better servo though, gives you time to get one to drop straight in Christmas Day.

my lad has the green one wrapped up ready for Santa :whistling:

Update and a bit of info for the TRX owners......

Popped out yesterday and this morning for a couple of quick runs....3 hours total, little woodland trail with a few decent technical climbs but nothing as taxing as the quarry run we've done previously.

After an hours running I unlocked both diffs to run up the path and the front diff servo sounded terrible, tried lock and unlock... nothing. Got home and took it apart and 3 spines on the small top gear had sheared off!

Haven't look at the cost of a genuine traxxas part but I'm going to look at alternative servos with a view to replacing both.

£500 on a new rig, underpowered steering servo and a failed diff servo ! Oh well :D

Not had much time this week due to work and life but found a micro servo that will fit. Its not waterproof but took it apart and sealed each section and filled the top with lithium grease (good enough for the dozers at work!), time will tell.

Despite my DIY light kit, I bought a cheap £14 eBay led that slips in between the light housing. Comes with all cables and unit.... but no instructions!
37770490354_25653162eb_z.jpg

Ive had a quick internet search but can't find anything to help.. well, it'll keep me busy until I fry it! :D

24 minutes ago, big gaz said:

If the box does pop mate at least you will end up with pre wired clusters to diy it I suppose.......

Agreed... however, the box has 3 inputs labelled ch1, 2 and 3 and servo type leads that  make no sense ??

Worry is I bypass box and pop the leds.... well, £14 isn't a great loss in grand scheme, saved more than that if I get the mini servo to work over another crappy traxxas servo