• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Advice on restoring original Sand Scorcher

clutch1988

Hello,

I have recently discovered my dads old Tamiya Sand Scorcher.

it appears to have been well used, its in quite bad shape, missing a few parts etc.

However, I hope that there is enough there to work with and I can rebuild it and restore her back to working condition. I could use some help and advice on how best to proceed. I have had rc cars before having used to race at local clubs, but I have never attempted something like this.

After having a quick look online, I see that Tamiya have remade the Sand Scorcher. So, I take it that spare parts might be easier to get hold of. I see that Tamiya has a manual online for the 'new' model, are both the modern reproduction and original identical? Also, does anyone have any opinion what i should do in regard to electronics? Is it easy to upgrade everything to give a higher performance? I have seen youtube videos of people running brushless etc.

Finally, if anyone has any more advice on how to approach a project such as this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

I`d strip it down fully...chk all the parts....then replace as needed.....then rebuild.....:yes:..I did this with my 1987 Tamiya striker......looks better then ever now....:good:...I`d stick with a brushed motor but with a newer esc...not a msc.....:good:

Edited by evssv
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, evssv said:

I`d strip it down fully...chk all the parts....then replace as needed.....then rebuild.....:yes:..I did this with my 1987 Tamiya striker......looks better then ever now....:good:...I`d stick with a brushed motor but with a newer esc...not a msc.....:good:

Thanks for that.

Can I ask why you think I am better to get a brushed motor as opposed to going brushless?