• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas EVX2 trying to add UBEC (seems more difficult than it should be)

Markswebpages

So I thought I'd have another go at putting a ubec in the Summit.

I got this in the post this morning

af90f85432ef3a1084bc68ef37909413.jpg
9fc3d3d825400e537b75389074b4a7c0.jpg

So I'm trying to avoid this

b532ebe104009a170302cdef4655e56c.jpg

Because I really can't afford another esc. So stretch pointed out it should be the leads with the tag on.

94bf16f3724de44cadad68472f9867f6.jpg
fb4d37b7ea310fc4778ab605410a3c73.jpg

Which lead exactly as stretch said are the red wire second from left and black wire far right. They have continuity (and the other connector doesn't) when checked and power the esc up with just that side connected, so seems right.

However this taken from the web site stretch very kindly linked http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/wiring.html says this.

4d772adb1e089dfde2ffd6d03746aeb2.jpg

Which looks like I need to make up new leads to loop one connector and the another to connect the batteries in series again. Seems like a complete ball ache to me.

So can this be done without all the wiring malarkey?[emoji17]

Decided to give it a go and follow the diagram from the site recommended to me by stretch.

The result was this

8b106de4a215a470122c2a8b8ef72936.jpg

Adds a bit more mess I suppose, but at least it's easily reversible. The only thing I haven't got is an low voltage cut off/alarm I'll probably just get on of the alarm types and listen out for it) so I'll have to be careful if I use it in the meantime.

Anyway what I got was this

d33ca52335b6700747b63d0d8c458d6c.jpg

Without a smoking ruined esc which was a relief.

So hopefully it'll help with the savox steering servo and the others.

Not entirely sure I've gained that much, but is consumed a few hours and I've learned not to assume anything when wiring stuff up.

Edited by Markswebpages

Well it nearly worked.... 

My nephew paid a visit and he loves the Summit so we chucked it in the boot and went off out. 

Well I never got to try it with the UBEC as despite not melting the ESC I couldn't get it out of cutoff mode. You can't change the mode when it's flashing red green so I unplugged it all to get it to power up properly  and got the LED to Red which should be none LVC. It however still wasn't happy and then just flashed red. 

So this whole exercise was a waste of time, fortunately I brought my hex drivers and I opened the receiver box to reinstall the red wire from her ESC. 

So I can only assume it's impossible for whatever reason to run a UBEC with a traxxas EVX-2 ESC. 

I'm completely stumped now anyone got any bright ideas? 

3 hours ago, Noj said:

Diagram from Stretch was for the older version of the ESC, which had no LVC, this may explain the current issue?

Good shout, I don't know why I didn't spot that before.

I just assumed it was disabled because the lights flashed when I tried it and I just thought it would stop when I disabled it in the settings. 

My issue now is if it's even possible to wire the UBEC in even if I use the BEC side and disable the power wire from the ESC (like you would normally) as some information suggests. 

Maybe its time to look at something a bit better on the ESC front (Tekin RX8 maybe if I save really hard). After all I have the wire harness for running batteries in series now lol. 

5 hours ago, Markswebpages said:

Decided to give it a go and follow the diagram from the site recommended to me by stretch.

The result was this

8b106de4a215a470122c2a8b8ef72936.jpg

Adds a bit more mess I suppose, but at least it's easily reversible. The only thing I haven't got is an low voltage cut off/alarm I'll probably just get on of the alarm types and listen out for it) so I'll have to be careful if I use it in the meantime.

Anyway what I got was this

d33ca52335b6700747b63d0d8c458d6c.jpg

Without a smoking ruined esc which was a relief.

So hopefully it'll help with the savox steering servo and the others.

Not entirely sure I've gained that much, but is consumed a few hours and I've learned not to assume anything when wiring stuff up.

Glad i could help. Did you look o  traxxas forums as they have threads on fitting becs the the evx2. I may have a spare lvc alarm is it just the one you need? If so drop me a pm with your details and I'll send it out to you.

3 minutes ago, stretch said:

Glad i could help. Did you look o  traxxas forums as they have threads on fitting becs the the evx2. I may have a spare lvc alarm is it just the one you need? If so drop me a pm with your details and I'll send it out to you.

I'll let you know, I'm still struggling to find out what to do next. 

As Noj has pointed out the diagram is for a non LVC version not my later LVC version. So I think I've wasted my time making the harness and it definitely doesn't work as is. 

Very generous offer though and I'll be sure to pm you if I think it'll help :)

Can't help with wiring a BEC into an EVX2 but if it's a no-go on newer ones, how about treating it like a Nitro and running a separate RX pack?

Suitable lipos are less than a fiver on Hobby king and it would also let you find out how much of a difference the BEC makes.

Shouldn't be too much trouble to find somewhere to temporarily lash one, there's good space under the Summit shell :)

7 hours ago, Geeze said:

Can't help with wiring a BEC into an EVX2 but if it's a no-go on newer ones, how about treating it like a Nitro and running a separate RX pack?

Suitable lipos are less than a fiver on Hobby king and it would also let you find out how much of a difference the BEC makes.

Shouldn't be too much trouble to find somewhere to temporarily lash one, there's good space under the Summit shell :)

Well its funny you should mention that, I have a hump pack I acquired ages ago. 

However I have a feeling that just disconnecting the power wire to the RX is what's upsetting the ESC, I will give it a try though. 

Thanks for the suggestion :good:

Edited by Markswebpages

• 1 month later...

Just fishing to see what the collective MS thought was. 

I thought this problem was solved, but it ran into its failsafe half power mode last time out so I disabled the LiPo cut off.

All seemed fine and I'd been using it for a while then a dry solder joint meant a change of LiPo.  When I plugged the new packs in my ESC made an audible pop and smoke poured out. Only possible warning was it went into half power mode, but it seemed fine with it disabled and it wasn't hot prior.

Should I risk running the UBEC again? 

I'm way on holiday at the moment so I've had to chuck it in the bin because it stank,  I couldn't find any obvious signs of a short like melted wiresso maybe just a coincidence that it went pop. 

Edited by Markswebpages

Yep it's the reason I got it so I can run with my dewalt plus has proper hold down part (I'm a bit ott with the summit lol) Don't use centre wire and set to brushed mode via castle link.

3768.jpg

Edited by stretch

BL esc in Brushed mode is a nice option, you can always switch to a BL motor in the future if you so desire.

I seem to recall it being possible to power a servo directly from an rx pack or UBEC, and only having the signal wire going to the receiver- presumably the UBEC would need to be tied to the real ground wire on the esc. Whether that still works with a traxxas's newest generation of escs is another question, they aren't as 'user serviceable' as they used to be.