• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rallycross at Mendip Rc Raceway

mrspeedy

So what's the setup ?? 

Well, we set out to run a championship closely along the lines of full sized Rallycross RX .. 

So circuit based .. everyone knows Mendip, but we cut the track and run over the grass or astro to change the tracks every meetings. 

The races are based on 3 min sprint races, mass starts, and points for finishing positions with a joker lap, just as in full sized. (mass starts are just epic !!)

The cars are based on 1/8 scale buggies, 3s lipos, and motors around the 2400kv mark .. The Hobao Hyper GT is very popular with a roller setting you back £185 from our local shop, RCOctane. 

We also run a spec tyre, the GRP S4 compound, in all weather conditions. These retail at around £33 a set of 4, again from RCOctane, and last about 8 meetings... yep 8 MEETINGS !!! 

Cars look like this ... and are tougher than you would ever believe !!!

14853162_1073934779371027_32285599347089

... and here's some video's of what we get up to ... 

• Like 1

looks awesome fun!:yes:!...I`ve stopped off here on me bike on way to/from brean/Weston a few times...but it`s been the 1/10th ones racing....could I use my hyper7.5 if I change the body ect.......I cant b buying yet another rc....:lol:...

Edited by evssv

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 12:57, mrspeedy said:

There's a guy that runs a Hyper with us .. he just added a bumper and some body posts to mount the body, and a set of GRP's and was ready to go !!! 

My lad used a RB one converted buggy and it runs great .. 

sweet....:good:..that's good news.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Does anyone still do this? I'm asking because I've recently got back into 1/8  rally cars so either any updates or evolutions would be great, or if anyone wanted to get rid of any cars etc Did anyone try off road? I recently picked up a thunder tiger emb2 converted from nitro, have yet to run it yet but it has a solid center diff which might make it similar to my vaterra,  anyway any info would be appreciated!

• 1 month later...

The Rallycross section is still running strong at Mendip Rc Raceway... last year (2018) we had over 30 guys come and join in the fun !!! ... and still get 3 good heats on a regular basis  ... 

Most are running either the Hobao Hyper GT or converted 8th buggies. Mines a 10 year old Mugen MBX6 which I finished 3rd in the A final with. not bad for £100 :)

Check our dedicated facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153985884640239/?ref=bookmarks

or just watch the vid from back in the summer ... check the  wooden jumps which are ACE !!! 

Who needs grip when you have 4wd lol its so overrated !!! 

Your cars look great bombing around on the grass  ... we've not run ours on grass .. only tarmac and astro but theres not a lot of grip with cut slick tyres on the astro sections !! 

We have a dedicated Face Book page ... feel free to join .. theres plenty of pics and info on there .. search Mendip Rc Rallycross 

• 2 months later...