• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Not sure it's vintage but

Nikonite

Just picked this up,  gutted as it needs a special 4 channel controller it didn't come with. 2 extra channels for auto start and reverse via electric motor. Has anyone adapted one or know if it's possible to retrofit modern electrics? 

IMG_20160718_180932-1.jpg

You don`t need 4 channels but you do need 3 channels. If you can get hold of a 27mhz 3 channel T/X that came with the HPI savage reverse model you can use that make sure that the crystals in the T/X match the the one in the car. Channel 3 will operate the starter.

Reverse does not use a channel but is selected by the posistion of the brake.

Full brake posistion cuts the throttle and puts the brake on, release the brake to the nuteral posisition and an electric motor will cut in sending the car in reverse.

I have just started rebuilding one of these, problem is the starting mech on my one is broken and missing a cog so I will convert to roto star untill hopefully I can get some spares.

• Like 1

Ideal! I thought this might be the case!  I have a flysky 2.4ghz, wondering if that will work. For the record I have another car (flying point) with the same problem,  stripped pinion on the auto starter. Annoying isn't it lol. 

Unfoutunately I don`t think the flysky will work `cause it will mean stripping all the electrics out. It may be worth a try but I doubt that it will work.

As to the vintage if you look on the white label just in front of the fuel tank it will tell you the year of manafacture.

I have never har much faith in auto starters. You have only to flood the engine and it will strip the cogs.

Yes it's a 2006, not sure what qualifies as vintage. It's set to become a basher so if the electric start isn't doable I'll look at pull / roto options. Just be nice to get it going,  it's a little dusty but near mint. Barely any scratches on the underside,  everything looks straight. 

I managed to get it going,  swapped the original 5 wire servos for three wire ones. Took out the original all in one unit and fitted a flysky receiver. Also moved the on off switch and fitted a momentary button to start the car using the auto starter. I removed the reverse unit for now,  trying to find a way to use the third channel in an off / on setup. Not sure my transmitter supports this so may require an upgrade. Very happy though,  it's all running and is a great starter. I am looking to swap the original nimh 7.2v battery pack for a similar size lipo as I'm not sure starting it and running radio gear from the same battery is wise. 

20160720_160725-1.jpg

20160720_160749-1.jpg

Edited by Nikonite

• 11 months later...