• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help with kyosho inferno mp9

kc3780

New to nitro ordered a inferno mp9 it going to be here in a few days will I need to order some glow plug to run it in or do I just need fuel? Plus help on the running in part would be great aswell thanks any help to get me started would be great it's a ready to run kit from modelsport thanks  

I've got the same car, it comes with a glow plug which you'll use for running in, by the end of the running in process it'll most likely need changing. Idle the first tank, then take the car slowly around on 1/4 or so throttle max for the second and third tank, 1/2 throttle max for forth tank and same for 5th with short bursts of full throttle. Then you can start tuning it abit, screwing the high speed needle (one with the brass collar) in, in small increments such as 1/8 turns, take it easy for another few tanks then you can lean the high speed needle abit more to get more performance out of it. That's the procedure I did with my MP9 back in October and it runs great and starts easy (:

Grab the missus' hair dryer and give the head and crankcase a good heat soak - the temp will loosen the engine and make it easier to start for the first time with less stress on the components.

For glow plugs, technically you should go for a cooler one now that we're heading into summer but most people will recommend a medium (typically the OS8) if you're just bashing.

As it's your first nitro have a good sieve through all the nitro starting vids on youtube - knowledge is king!

Stick with it, nitro can be frustrating at first but it'll be mighty satisfying when you get it right!

• Like 1

Thanks a lot so do I just start it up I don't change anything for the 1st 5 tanks of fuel plus any glow plug you recommend or just one of the shelf for my car 

That's right mate, don't touch a thing, just fill the tank, make sure all the screws are tight and the glow plug, prime it (push the throttle open when the car is turned off and blow down the tube from the exhaust to the tank until you see fuel reach the carb) and carry on with the procedure I said. If you're running 25% fuel like I am then use a cold plug. Hotter plugs are often used for lower nitro content fuels, e.g 15%.

My first nitro was the MP9 too and you can't go wrong with it, as said, have a look on YouTube at some videos about maintenance and the reasons why we need to run in nitro engines like we do and you'll be good to go. My nitro fleet has gained to 5 cars now and when the rest of them are doing my head in I always just get the MP9 out as it's never let me down, good strong, reliable buggy and very easy to work with :D let us know how you get on!

And as James said; make sure to heat the engine, especially when starting it for the first time. Not only will this make it 10x easier to start but it also puts a hell of a lot less stress on those new and tight engine components. A hairdryer works great or an engine heater which you can get from Modelsport. An infared thermometer is very useful when running in a car too, got mine for £6 on eBay, does the job fine!

The infared thermometer for running it in is that because the engine may get to hot Or not hot enough? I'm learning all the time thanks for all your help mite have to look at a engine heater only thing is I'm hoping its going to be here today and I've got to mess I can't just leave it sat there 

The infared thermometer for running it in is that because the engine may get to hot Or not hot enough? I'm learning all the time thanks for all your help mite have to look at a engine heater only thing is I'm hoping its going to be here today and I've got to mess I can't just leave it sat there 

Both mate, if it doesn't get hot enough the components won't seat properly, but you shouldn't have to worry about this on the stock settings as I didn't, more so checking it's not getting too hot as this could damage the engine. And I know how you feel, just be careful haha :P

Well got my fuel and my spare glow plugs plus after run oil. Wile the boss is away the men will play I've made my self a motor heater with a can and a bulb got idea of Internet all I need now is my car. Please come tomorrow. Is it worth me dropping some after run oil in before 1st time start or just heat the motor up and start her with fuel in of course? 

I usually put some oil in just to help with those first movements. 

Make sure it gets nice and hot, I started a new engine for first time today and the 100f the engine heater got it to didn't help it much ... Used a heat gun carefully to get it to 200f and it spun over easily. 

Just something that could save breaking a pull start 

So the beast has come 1st thing I see what I don't like is the air filter looking to get a better one can anybody recommend one please it's not run in yet so I'm in no rush thanks 

What don't you like about the air filter? It's new right? A filter's a filter - stop procrastinating and start it already! :P

Please don't bolt on one of those K&N lookalikes - it will do nothing but harm for your engine and will cost you more in the long run. You won't get a better filter than the one that's fitted :good:

Oooookkkkkk got all mi stuff now anyway 

modelsport delivery is brilliant 

going to run her in today or in morning I've looked at loads of videos on you tube n what's the reason behind have it bottom dead centre when cooling down? 

The cylinder sleeve gets narrower towards TDC so it's preferable to have the piston at BDC while it cools to avoid it seizing as the cylinder shrinks as it cools.

I use tippex to mark the flywheel when the piston is at BDC and thats how the engine gets stored.

Well I've run it in now well and truly ballsed it up I need the screw setting to double check I haven't turned them to much because I can't start it at all so going to go back and start again if anybody has them please the glow plug 

charger is fine and glow plug just want to make sure all the screw are ok 

Well run her in running just about perfect apart from when I hit full throttle it goes well but as soon as I hit the brake it try's to stall all the time what screw do I need to change please 

Good to hear you got her running! Check your idle screw. Pull the air filter off (without the engine running) and apply the brakes. The throttle gap shouldn't drop below about 1.5-2mm.

Failing this, you could have a dodgy clutch.....but we'll move onto this if your idle screw doesn't fix it!

That works a treat thankyou next problem I've done 3 glow plugs in my last one only lasted about 10 mins it's running a bit rich I think could that be the problem? 

I feel I'm getting there now slowly