• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Should a carb O ring pop inside the collar of engine??

Rory

So i took apart some of my little TS4N for a good clean, and put it back together.  Go to start it and fuel wont prime... not covering exhaust or physically blowing up tube.  It wouldn't reach the carb.

Spray loads of carb cleaner down there and manage to get it to prime as normal.  

It will only run for a couple of seconds then dies from lack of fuel -  what I need to know is should the carb be flush with the body of the engine?  I had it off, and when I put it back on it was very stiff to push back ... I pushed it down as hard as I could and even used grips to squeeze it .... but the O-ring at the top of the carb neck sits over the intake for the engine.... its not totally flush.

Should I feel the O ring pop inside the intake as I push the carb home? I think I have in the past with other cars.  Checked google images for pics to see if the O ring is visible but cant really tell.

Edited by Rory

Any pics of how your currently setup?

As for the situation ur in, it would suggest its that youve got an excessive lean caused by the air leak

Also when refitting - did you slacken the pinch bolt on it?

Ziggy

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Ziggy122 said:

Any pics of how your currently setup?

As for the situation ur in, it would suggest its that youve got an excessive lean caused by the air leak

Also when refitting - did you slacken the pinch bolt on it?

Ziggy

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Yeah Im thinking it might be a carb air leak, thats the only thing that I took off.

Yip slackened bolt , pushed down on carb and tightened bolt again.  I never felt a little pop as the O ring went into the collar of the engine though , I think I might have on previous cars?  This will be the 3rd time taking this engine out since I cleaned it the other day lol.

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 16:43, Rory said:

So i took apart some of my little TS4N for a good clean, and put it back together.  Go to start it and fuel wont prime... not covering exhaust or physically blowing up tube.  It wouldn't reach the carb.

Spray loads of carb cleaner down there and manage to get it to prime as normal.  

It will only run for a couple of seconds then dies from lack of fuel -  what I need to know is should the carb be flush with the body of the engine?  I had it off, and when I put it back on it was very stiff to push back ... I pushed it down as hard as I could and even used grips to squeeze it .... but the O-ring at the top of the carb neck sits over the intake for the engine.... its not totally flush.

Should I feel the O ring pop inside the intake as I push the carb home? I think I have in the past with other cars.  Checked google images for pics to see if the O ring is visible but cant really tell.

Never use force or mole/pipe grips/pliers with these little engines...they are delicate.

When installing something like a carb. with O rings then a bit of lube will be helpful.....never try to press rubber stuff into metal dry.....personally I always use RTV on anything...but you could always use some silicone grease...or spittle...WD40.....virtually anything rather than dry...

Oh and many carb. necks are clamped in place by collets....ensure they are removed before trying to forcefully add/remove.