• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Latest addition to 1/5 scale fleet

andyknight

1 hour ago, Carpmart said:

Looks good Andy...

You obviously won't be running it next weekend, but be good to see it in the flesh if you fancy brInging it over?  

If I can get it finished this week I will bring it although I'm away quite a bit this week so might not get the chance.

New side pipe fitted, just a cheap one but much better than the box that was on before.

large.IMAG0394.jpg

One more test fit of shell and both wings.

large.IMAG0393.jpg

First blast of colour done.

large.IMAG0395.jpg

• Like 1

Finished spraying and it's not bad but along way from perfect :-(  Looks ok from a distance though.   Mainly issues with bits of overspray i hadn't spotted  which has really annoyed me!!!

large.IMAG0402.jpg

Still got the rear window to cut out when i can decide what shape hole i want to get to the pull start.  I might remove left side rear window as well to reach the choke.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the home straight now.  Shell is fully assembled, air holes cut in the front screen and a rear hole cut for access to the pull start.  I need to raise the front lip of the shell for ground clearance and seeing as the mounting holes are already drilled the easiest way seems to be to fit a new front bumper with foam and use the foam to lift the bonnet slightly.

I tested this out with bits of cardboard etc and it worked a treat giving just the right clearance.

The more expensive and newer FG models seem to have front body posts that support the front area but this older model doesn't have them.  I might add it at a later date.

I've also got my eye on a set of GPM shocks which are oil damped rather than the passive setup I have at the moment.  I'll save that for next month (supposed to be saving for US road trip in 4 months :P ).

Fitted some new foam and front bumper this evening, plus some longer front wheel axles and wider squares to fill out the front arches better.

large.IMAG0406.jpg

I recon it sits pretty good now and has front body clearance.

large.IMAG0408.jpg

Edited by andyknight
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update, I won a 2fold self locking differential on eBay for £30.  Just stripped it today and it's in great condition, just needs some new screws, grub pins.  Everything else is fine, result.  That's a £120 saving.

Also fitted some eBay cheap oil filled shocks all round.  They seem OK but might have to change the front fluid to something a bit thicker.

19 minutes ago, Carpmart said:

Andy - please can you send me a link to the foamy punished for the front bumper please.... Assuming you're happy with it? :) 

I bought it as a set with the plastic bumper, posts etc.

http://rc-car-online.de/shop/en/products/fg_8418-8418-fg-foam-front-bumper-1:5-set.html

2-fold differential fitted with new internal bearings and pressure plates.  Nowhere near as good as an oddified magnetic diff but I can afford this one lol.

large.IMAG0411.jpg